Macro Help Whirl Turtles Tortus Heroic

Hello all,

My guild is working on heroic Tortos and I assigned to slowing one of the turtles. When the three come out, DBM marks them Skull, X, Square. My job is to keep Square slowed full time with concussive shot while DPSing Skull. I found the following macro in the PVP forums and tried to adapt it to my purposes.

#showtooltip
    /clearfocus [@focus,dead]
    /use [@focus,harm][]Concussive Shot
    /focus [@focus,noexists]

What I would like to happen is if I have no focus, the macro will cast concussive shot on my target and make it my focus. If i have a focus, it will cast concussive shot on my focus without messing with my target. That way I can slow my turtle down nonstop while continuing to dps the kill target. The problem I'm having is clearing the focus, since the turtles don't actually die, they just become immune with like 3% health left. Right now it will just continue to Concussive shot the immune turtle until someone kicks it. I'm trying to come up with a way of making the macro work with one button, but as is, I think I have to make a separate macro to make the target my focus and then use a tar focus macro. Any advice?

On a side note, the macro doesn't work without the empty brackets in front of concussive shot. Anyone have an idea why?

Deleted
    I would strongly recommend that your team find someone else to do the slowing. Dropping an Ice Trap in the mouth is the most generous you should be.

I think you might need a 2nd macro or just keep tabs on where the target you need to slow is. Or if you're in the mood for a scare every one in a while...

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, harm][@target,harm] Concussive Shot

Deleted
    In my guild we have it so a frost mage does the slowing, and of course I chuck in the odd concussive where needed. Primarily though I kick the turtles, dpsing on the move is easy enough and it means the lock can slaughter the bats which does a truckload on the boss and the mage on slowing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by webwierdo View Post
    Hello all,

My guild is working on heroic Tortos and I assigned to slowing one of the turtles. When the three come out, DBM marks them Skull, X, Square. My job is to keep Square slowed full time with concussive shot while DPSing Skull. I found the following macro in the PVP forums and tried to adapt it to my purposes.

#showtooltip
    /clearfocus [@focus,dead]
    /use [@focus,harm][]Concussive Shot
    /focus [@focus,noexists]

What I would like to happen is if I have no focus, the macro will cast concussive shot on my target and make it my focus. If i have a focus, it will cast concussive shot on my focus without messing with my target. That way I can slow my turtle down nonstop while continuing to dps the kill target. The problem I'm having is clearing the focus, since the turtles don't actually die, they just become immune with like 3% health left. Right now it will just continue to Concussive shot the immune turtle until someone kicks it. I'm trying to come up with a way of making the macro work with one button, but as is, I think I have to make a separate macro to make the target my focus and then use a tar focus macro. Any advice?

On a side note, the macro doesn't work without the empty brackets in front of concussive shot. Anyone have an idea why?
    the reason the macro does not work without those square brackets is because brackets are modifiers. [@focus,harm] basically means "cast the next spell at my focus target, IF it's harmful to me". However, those modifiers are compulsory: if you're using modifiers, the spell only works for the first modifier which has all demands fulfilled. so in your case, if you don't have a harmful focus, that macro won't cast conc shot the first time. Those square brackets are basically a catch-all meaning "If no other modifiers are fulfilled, just cast it at my target".

Btw those turtles don't actually die, so you will have a turtle as your focus, wasting concussive shots on it until that turtle is kicked. Go with the macro Jeremypwnz suggested.

Also having hunters slow is a complete waste of time. Other classes can slow them for longer so you don't waste so many GCDs.

I dont understand. Why would hunter with 6 sec slow be responsible for slowing turtles? Thats like wasting 1/6 of your dps? There are other classes that are far better.

You need to kill turtles asap, not slow them down for whole duration. Also the skull needs to die only before first breath. You will have plenty of shells to kick afterwards.

Sorry but I think your tactic is just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea i'm with people here...hell a warlock is better @ slowing turtles then a hunter...you job is MD bats to tank that's kiting and blow up turtles.

Aff Lock. GG. I don't touch the turtles unless Bats are dead. even then i usually don't touch my CC shot. hunter's should not be responsible to slow turtles. instant they get off your frost trap, you're done slowing besides whatever turtle you're currently on.

I haven't tested this, but I'll try to remember to when I get home.

Although I agree with everyone else about the fact that hunters are not the best class for this, I occasionally help get a shell under control and if that's what it takes to get the boss killed, go for it. So to try to answer your actual question...

I can't think of anyway that you could do exactly what you want to do since, like you said, the turtles don't actually die. Two macros would work, but if you really want a single one, couldn't you just change the first line to something like:
    /clearfocus [mod:alt]
    It would mean you still have to use two binds, but it would all be located in one macro.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I don't think we have much better options given our comp.

1 Prot Pally - Boss tank
    1 BM Monk - Kiting bats
    1 Resto Druid
    1 Holy Pally
    1 DPS Warrior
    1 Ele Shaman
    1 Shadow Priest
    2 Hunters
    1 Fire Mage

The warrior will slow them all with piercing howl when they come out for 15 sec while we nuke skull. Afterward we switch to X while I keep Square slowed and the other hunter slows X. Pally tank needs to stay in melee range of turtle. Monk tank will be busy kiting. Our healers are the most skilled of players and I worry about assigning a slow to one of them. The warrior can't chase turtles, so he is out apart from the initial slow. Ele shaman has totem which isn't off cooldown quickly enough or frost shock where he would lose to much damage. Shadow priest has to channel his slow which may be hard with all the movement and he will most likely be dotting everything anyways. Fire mage mostly likely won't change spec so he doesn't have access to slows.

I'm not the most knowledgable of other classes so its entirely possible I'm missing something. I would love any other suggestions

The Mage has access to Cone of Cold. 60% Slow 6 second duration 10second Cooldown. It'd be easier if he went Frost though, saves you losing a lot of DPS, if you're still 3/12 then chances are he's probably too undergeared for Fire anyway.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-07-16 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webwierdo View Post
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I don't think we have much better options given our comp.

1 Prot Pally - Boss tank
    1 BM Monk - Kiting bats
    1 Resto Druid
    1 Holy Pally
    1 DPS Warrior
    1 Ele Shaman
    1 Shadow Priest
    2 Hunters
    1 Fire Mage

The warrior will slow them all with piercing howl when they come out for 15 sec while we nuke skull. Afterward we switch to X while I keep Square slowed and the other hunter slows X. Pally tank needs to stay in melee range of turtle. Monk tank will be busy kiting. Our healers are the most skilled of players and I worry about assigning a slow to one of them. The warrior can't chase turtles, so he is out apart from the initial slow. Ele shaman has totem which isn't off cooldown quickly enough or frost shock where he would lose to much damage. Shadow priest has to channel his slow which may be hard with all the movement and he will most likely be dotting everything anyways. Fire mage mostly likely won't change spec so he doesn't have access to slows.

I'm not the most knowledgable of other classes so its entirely possible I'm missing something. I would love any other suggestions
    Your best best is the mage going frost, all your hunters will lose aroung 20% of their dps doing concussive shot if they are SV. You can mitigate this somewhat by going BM leaving your pet on the boss the whole time. This would cost them around 10% of their dps.

Deleted
    As they've said, your mage should respec, or at least glyph FFB.

The Mage has access to Cone of Cold. 60% Slow 6 second duration 10second Cooldown. It'd be easier if he went Frost though, saves you losing a lot of DPS, if you're still 3/12 then chances are he's probably too undergeared for Fire anyway.
    We are 7/12H Tortos is a real road bump for us. Its getting annoying.

Your best best is the mage going frost, all your hunters will lose aroung 20% of their dps doing concussive shot if they are SV. You can mitigate this somewhat by going BM leaving your pet on the boss the whole time. This would cost them around 10% of their dps.
    I don't believe the mage going frost is an option. If we go BM and leave our pet on tortos, we have trouble getting the turtles down in time since we split half our DPS.

It's about the guild's progress as a whole, not just one or two people. The Mage still gets to DPS, Frost is viable - and it doesn't nerf another raid member in the process. There's no reason he shouldn't for the sake of progress on a single fight.

To be honest I would go with only 15 sec slow from warrior. Then if druid has nothing to heal (tortos hc is really easy fight for healers - imo easier than norm), he can use slow on 1 of the turtles.

Also considering you are kiting bats I would rather kill the turtles asap than keep them slowed all the time. Losing 20% of hunters dps is against that. Shadow priests mind flay reduces speed by 50% so if you kill skull within 15 sec then just burn x which should be slowed by priest anyway and let the 3rd turtle run wild til you get your hands on it.

You can also pop frost trap somewhere for the slows but I think its pointless.