Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When will they fix ability bloat? Keybinds going crazy

The number of stuff you must have on your hotbar is a little stupid. Its pretty obvious Blizzard wants WoW to be a casual friendly game so why am I forced to use 30+ keybinds when I try to PvP? I enjoy PvP because its fun and lets me let off steam by killing other players. When I have to try and remember where everything is or cant hit something fast enough because I ran out of letters on my keyboard isnt that a serious problem? Looking at what I have on my bars for my Monk. I mean if I have too much on there please tell me what I can take off that wont gimp me in any way? Maybe there is a bunch of stuff I dont need and just dont know it but I find a use for every single ability during BGs.

Renewing Mist
    Enveloping Mist
    Soothing Mist
    Surging Mist
    Jade Serpent Statue
    Chi Torpedo
    Chi Wave
    Life Cocoon
    Crackling Jade Lightning
    Detox
    Healing Sphere
    Diffuse Magic
    Disable
    Nimble Brew
    Fortifying Brew
    Mana Tea
    Thunder Focus Tea
    Tiger's Lust
    Revival
    Ring of Peace
    Paralysis
    Spinning Crane Kick
    Spear Hand Strike
    Transcendence
    Transcendence: Transfer

Who finds that much stuff on my hotbars "casual friendly". Also a lot of that stuff doesnt even have a keybind cause I ran out of letters Im comfortable with. Casual Friendly would be something like Guild Wars 2 where you only have 10 abilities to worry about. I have heard some people have to use 50+ keybinds. Seriously isnt that a bit out of control for a so called "casual friendly" game? Are there actually people out there that think more buttons = more skill?

I loathe games like GW2 that force me into limiting how many abilities I have on my hotbar.

10+ Year Old Account
    50+? I Feel like such a scrub, only using ~35. Granted on most of my chars a fair number of those slots are used for very situational abilities but I've found on some that trying to keep regularly used abilites in a place you can actually reach is a pain. Not sure how they'd solve it short of stripping alot of classes of fun or situational abilities but some classes do need a bit of pruning.

make macros to stack up similar abilities (chi builders - chi finishers - cds)

if you leveled your character form the start, i dont see how you would have problems remembering which ability is which and what it does. i play as PVE mistweaver and PVP windwalker, i have no problems with keybind or whatsoever and im a casual. get an ui addon like elvui and learn to combine keybinds with ctrl/shit/alt + letters

I for one enjoy having many abilities, hell i could take even more easily.
    Got EVERYTHING bound and have no problem remembering key-binds for my current 4 90s.
    Sure, more binds doesnt mean more skill but, comparing game-play evolving 5 skills vs 50 surely makes difference.
    In short: i don`t see any problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have only bound abilities that I use in my normal DPS rotation, and of course defensive cooldowns that can save my life. The rest is easily clickable when I need them. I never understood people who insist binding literally everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just play assassination rogue or MM hunter. Need fuck all then lol. I took all my cool downs off hot-keys because i kept hitting them by mistake and always at the worse time. Anyway the amount of abilities have nothing on the amount you get on rift lol.
    Aye mate

I think Monk is actually one of the easiest healers to play in BGs. I made one after playing on the PTR last week and doing a ton of BGs. I usually end a BG with only 1 or sometimes even 0 deaths, 2-3 killing blows, and top healing (12 mil or more) and thats against PTR players who are FAR better than people just doing random BGs. Get a healing addon like VuhDo that will take 5 spells off your bar right there. Then just bind similar stuff near each other. I have my cooldowns bound together. My CC stuff bound together, and my DPS stuff bound together. Plus having everything near each other means if you fatfinger something and mash the wrong thing chances are its still going to be helpful.

Also unless you do like 2k+ rated BGs you dont need 4375784357843 keybinds. Most people are so bad you can win with 3.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-07-16 at 12:05 AM.

They could cut down on cooldowns, which from what we see is a HUGE problem in PVP.

Paladins: GoAK removed (sustained healing, dps, DP or AD buffed). Inquisition removed (sustained dps buffed).
    Warlocks: Dark Soul removed (sustained dps and Unending Resolve buffed).
    Death Knights: DRW removed (Bone Shield buffed).
    Monks: a lot can be removed there.
    and so on...

Professions: Herbalism and Engineering now provide passive boosts. Tailroing provides passive boosts from it's enchants for sustainable effect.

More sustained dps, healing, tanking capabilities - less cooldowns/ramp-ups/lucky star procs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Just play assassination rogue or MM hunter. Need fuck all then lol. I took all my cool downs off hot-keys because i kept hitting them by mistake and always at the worse time. Anyway the amount of abilities have nothing on the amount you get on rift lol.
    You must not have played rift recently then. A lot of the abilities have been changed. I leveled a Cleric (AoE DPS/Energizer build) and by the late 40s, I have one macro with 4 abilities in it, and then 3 others on my hotbar. (All my buffs are in a different location, but you don't have to hit those but once an hour.) Same with my rogue and mage, and I haven't checked out my warrior lately. But they have severely shrunk the amount of abilities you need to play, and I'm glad for it.

As for WoW, if I have to use more than the first 5-6 hotbar slots for abilities, the class takes too much effort to play. I don't have an MMO mouse anymore, so I've lost all of my mouse hotkeys which really sucks. But I'm not very good at setting up abilities to other keys other than the row of numbers, as the way I play limits my ability to do so. Granted, I'm a casual gamer in that I don't raid, and don't really play beyond heroic instances, so it doesn't matter if I'm not at the tip-top of the DPS meters or something. I'm also a bit of a clicker, if I need to hit something that isn't within my immediate reach on my hotbar, I use the mouse to click it. These are usually things that have a CD, or something I don't use very often. Stun/silence abilities are usually in the group, as well as any reactive abilities.

I try to macro things as much as I can, but Blizzard has gone the opposite direction of Rift and made it HARDER to macro things, as they have put a lot of abilities that didn't used to be on the GCD, onto the GCD. Really stupid. However, Blizz has stated they are doing what they can to lessen ability bloat without just generalizing every class, and for some classes that is much easier than others. In the OP's example, remember, Monk is still a new class. It took quite a while for DKs to get to where they are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    I have only bound abilities that I use in my normal DPS rotation, and of course defensive cooldowns that can save my life. The rest is easily clickable when I need them. I never understood people who insist binding literally everything.
    +1. I do the same. Bind my rotational spells along with the O-SH** spells. Also having a mouse to bind things makes it easier as well. But other than the basic 15-20 spells I actually use during a raid night everything else is on a spell bar where I can click if I need it. I Will say that the amount of spells in a rotation can be daunting and blizzard can help this by offering more passive spells at least as an alternative.

Pocketful- 110 Priest- Savant - US Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Paladins: GoAK removed (sustained healing, dps, DP or AD buffed). Inquisition removed (sustained dps buffed).
    The sustained damage buff we're getting in the form of a 1 minute duration Inquisition next patch (resets to full duration upon a kill when glyphed) negates a great deal of our need for more "sustained" damage i'd say; given how much of a Holy Power drain it's been up to this point with 3 every 30 secs. It'll be much easier to maintain, thus allowing us to keep our sustained DPS up without forfeiting burst such as GoAK.

As to the other classes, i'm not an expert; though I would rather have our current system as opposed to the likes of Guild Wars where you're severely limited. What they could do however, is make the Macro creation system a bit more intuitive/easy, and remove bloat where they can.

Weren't they thinking about giving PvP'ers even more macros through extra targeting keys?

I'll agree though; It's getting kind of stupid at times. But only for PvP.
    PvE? You don't need the extra keys to do well past a certain point.

I'm bias though since I do have a disorder that makes my hands rather...annoying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    You must not have played rift recently then. A lot of the abilities have been changed. I leveled a Cleric (AoE DPS/Energizer build) and by the late 40s, I have one macro with 4 abilities in it, and then 3 others on my hotbar. (All my buffs are in a different location, but you don't have to hit those but once an hour.) Same with my rogue and mage, and I haven't checked out my warrior lately. But they have severely shrunk the amount of abilities you need to play, and I'm glad for it.

As for WoW, if I have to use more than the first 5-6 hotbar slots for abilities, the class takes too much effort to play. I don't have an MMO mouse anymore, so I've lost all of my mouse hotkeys which really sucks. But I'm not very good at setting up abilities to other keys other than the row of numbers, as the way I play limits my ability to do so. Granted, I'm a casual gamer in that I don't raid, and don't really play beyond heroic instances, so it doesn't matter if I'm not at the tip-top of the DPS meters or something. I'm also a bit of a clicker, if I need to hit something that isn't within my immediate reach on my hotbar, I use the mouse to click it. These are usually things that have a CD, or something I don't use very often. Stun/silence abilities are usually in the group, as well as any reactive abilities.

I try to macro things as much as I can, but Blizzard has gone the opposite direction of Rift and made it HARDER to macro things, as they have put a lot of abilities that didn't used to be on the GCD, onto the GCD. Really stupid. However, Blizz has stated they are doing what they can to lessen ability bloat without just generalizing every class, and for some classes that is much easier than others. In the OP's example, remember, Monk is still a new class. It took quite a while for DKs to get to where they are now.
    The game's definitely not built to accommodate every single person's special playstyle. If you aren't good with mapping your abilities, learn to be good. Or just give up and don't play?

There's only like 25 keybinds there, that's not many. If you want to be decent in PvP then yes, you will need more.

As for:
    Its pretty obvious Blizzard wants WoW to be a casual friendly game so why am I forced to use 30+ keybinds when I try to PvP?
    What does being casual have to do with it? So you have to remember where a button is on your keybind and remember what it does? It's not hard nor does it take massive amounts of time. It's no different than learning where the keys on the keyboard are in the first place, except when you press the key instead of the letter/numer, it's an ability.

If you bind things as you get them and use them often you will get used to where they are and you will not need to even think. I could list all my bindings here, which I have 60 of excluding modifiers - which is also more than double what you are listing - and I could tell you what ability they have on them. Really it isn't hard you get used to it.

It isn't ability bloat, it's choice. It's not even about skill, even though it does directly relate due to more choice and making the right decision. Games like GW2 where they limit to 5 buttons or so is just boring [imo]. If you would prefer that, play that. /shrug.

Edit: Just checked my MW Monk which only does at most LFR, has 36 keybinds. And that's excluding those on VuhDo - which is basically doubling every heal/external, so probably 48-50 binds at a rough guess?

Really don't see how you can have a problem with only those listed for PvP.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-07-16 at 12:48 AM.

I feel like ~10 keybinds would be perfect. Obviously differs per person.

I have 23 keys bound then a shift, ctrl and alt modifier for just about everyone. My monk and druid eating up almost everyone I have and I am sure my hunter would come close also if I played it enough to get used to so many key options. Luckily I have a pretty big hand and i can hit the number pad with my right thumb while holding my mouse. If I couldn't do that my only other option would be a naga/logitech 600.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    If you are clicking thing that means you are then keyboard turning and that is the rub. If somehow you could still move and turn quickly and click stuff it wouldn't be as horrible. With the way the game is set up if you are clicking things you are also keyboard turning you get a double wammy of bad ideas going.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    It isn't ability bloat, it's choice. It's not even about skill,
    So then someone with just 10 abilities on their hotbar and nothing else at all will do just as well as someone with 40? If not then its not about skill and its not a choice. If it was a choice and had nothing to do with skill then someone using 10 should be as equally skilled as someone using 50.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel you OP, but its a problem I'm not exactly sure how they would solve.
    If they take away skills we've had for some time it feels bad.
    If we go through an entire expansion and don't learn anything new on our way to the new level cap, that feels bad too.
    If we combine skills that have redundancies together then it feels like they are dumbing down the game.