WoW server Shutdowns

Just been wondering, when WoW has its usual server shutdowns, what do they do during that?
    I mean, yes I know its to give the servers a rest, but I often open WoW Client the next day to download a couple of Megabytes of Data for WoW.
    Are these patch Fixes? they never seem to tell me...
    Just curious

10+ Year Old Account
    They sit around a big table filled with cakes and pastries and discuss Amanda Bynes latest meltdown.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The only lies here are the bullshit coming from you. RBG appears to be immortal.

It's server maintenance. Hardware upgrades, hardware replacements, configuration changes, software updates, etc.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

They go through all their mouse wheels and replace all the dead mouses with new ones to keep things running.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    They go through all their mouse wheels and replace all the dead mouses with new ones to keep things running.
    I'm pretty sure they've replaced mice with hamsters. It isn't 2004 anymore.

They go through the list of people with the most achievement points on their accounts server by server and make fun of their names and the character's names.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    It was just a publicity stunt. What they did was that they bought more mouse wheels per server so they wouldn't be so shaky anymore.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    It's server maintenance. Hardware upgrades, hardware replacements, configuration changes, software updates, etc.
    This is not true so dont believe him.
    They replace all of those dead ritters people have killed with new ones and give kobolds new but still used candles so we can take their candles.
    True story

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Ghostcrawler: Tuesday. Chris, you know what to do!
    Metzen: Right on Greg! *pushes red button triggering server maintenance* So what are you up to this time?
    Ghostcrawler: Let's spin the wheel of random nerfs and buffs!!!
    Metzen: ooh yay I love the wheel of random nerfs and buffs!!!!
    Ghostcrawler + Metzen: AND SPIIIIIIIIIIN!
    Ghostcrawler: Please nerf pallies please nerf pallies please nerf pallies please nerf pallies please nerf pallies
    Metzen: Please buff mages please buff mages
    *Spinner hits buff pallies, nerf Hunters*
    Ghostcrawler: Let's see.... Buff ret PvP... nerf Readiness. I don't mind readiness, but buffing ret PvP? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? THEY MURDERED MY PARENTS!
    Metzen: Well, not that bad.

Somehow...I just knew this would lead to wild Blizzard suggestions

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they have to clean up all the blood and gusts from player's murderous rampages at least sometimes.

Deleted
    They send in a Mexican midget called Pequeño José into the server racks with a duster and b-b-b-bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Decisive The Hallowed View Post
    Just been wondering, when WoW has its usual server shutdowns, what do they do during that?
    I mean, yes I know its to give the servers a rest, ...
    Of all the things mentioned so far in this thread it's not to give the servers a "rest". Servers don't need "rest".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Of all the things mentioned so far in this thread it's not to give the servers a "rest". Servers don't need "rest".
    True, servers and illegal mexican workers don't need rest.

WoW has servers? I thought it just magically came from my neighbors WiFi

Deleted
    They don't really ever shutdown a server.
    The only times the servers at Blizz go offline, is on maintenance day, and even then only if a patch or other change requires a server reboot.
    Servers in the perspective of hardware and software are designed to be running 24/7, or at least have the highest possible uptime.

Servers, in most cases, are not meant to be restarted every week, nor do they require it, unless there were changes, as mentioned above

Maintenance breaks are so damn rare nowadays with anything plugged into internet that it can't be considered to be normal operating procedure, but something that is required by crappy infrastructure. Turning servers off to "rest" is actually really bad idea because most hardware damage happens when you turn the computer on (exactly the same way lightbulbs always blow out when you try to turn the lights on), not while it's running 24/7.

My guess is that Blizzard originally hacked together so bad database engine that they have to pull the servers offline to clean it up without actually turning the servers completely off. Something similar to HDD defragmenting but done on the databases after all character transfers logged chat channels and looted items that are moved from the live servers to archive.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Considering how even hot fixes aren't always done during Tuesday maintenance and how we've seen the game go weeks without server maintenance before, I honestly don't think there's a real purpose to weekly maintenance besides sticking to the status quo.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    They wanted stoats because they're faster and can jump, but Activision funnelled all of the small-mammal money.