Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    .. but it's only cosmetic! blablablabla. Do you really think it'll stay like this? DDDD

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StormFX View Post
    Because you can't extra free stuff, capitalism is a big, evil demon? Got it. Let me know how it goes when you picket the car dealership for not giving you all the frills for no extra charge on your base model.
    It's not about "free stuff", it's about keeping a levelled playing field. When you deliberately allow "outside resources" like money to interfere ...

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    It's nobody's "fault". Seriously, how many times are the mods going to let people hit this dead horse before they start closing these threads like the spam they are?
    Oh don't worry, it will run it's course.

5 stages of grief

Denial
    Anger
    Depression
    Bargaining
    Acceptance <- at this stage now

Guess I have to accept that the Blizzard of past is gone. It's now just a soulless corporate machine, it's soul paid as an offering to the God that is Money. That it isn't really (capable of) "making decisions" anymore, it just blindly "follows the money" even to the deepest depths of hell.

I like the folks talking about how Blizzard should lower World of Warcraft's subscription price.

According to this neat little website, what cost $15 in 2004 would cost $18.04 in 2012. There was 20% inflation since the game was released.

So, if anything, your subscription should have gone up as time went by. Instead of $180, you'd be paying $216,48 a year. Blizzard's income per World of Warcraft subscription hasn't increased, and their operational costs for World of Warcraft (servers, staff, development and so on) have increased far more than just base inflation since 2004.

By not correcting their subscription price for inflation and assuming 8 million active subscriptions, Blizzard missed out on earning the equivalent of $291,840,000 in 2012 alone. And they should be reducing their subscription prices? I don't think so.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    How does leveling faster equal pay2win? I'm intrigued.

It's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic, or dense. However, since this is MMO Champion and the collective IQ of the of readers make me worry about humanity (take the Swaziland thread as an example), I will assume the latter.

It appears that people are taking the term "Pay-to-Win" in the literal sense. It doesn't necessarily have to mean it only includes being able to purchase high level epics with real money.

Pay-to-Win is any model that affects the game play of the game and/or gives an advantage over someone who does not pay. The XP boost is clearly a device that falls under the Pay-to-Win model. Because it's not as substantial as buying epics doesn't negate the fact it's still Pay-to-Win.

Still intrigued?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Well, every mount bought is only a month and a half of a subscription. Every pet is less than a month.

I'd really question how many of these things people actually buy, and if they offset people outright just quitting.
    It's the lost development time which could have used on more meaningful content which causes people to quit. I doubt
    anyone quits because he dislikes pet battles so much or that everyone runs around looking exactly the same.

And imagine if on average a player spends 2,5€ extra a month on pets and mounts, that's one pet every four months or
    one mount every eight months which I think is pretty reasonable as there are probably people who buy every single one
    of them and people who never touch the store at all.

Going from 13€ -> 15,5€ a month is almost 19% increased income per player. Obviously my numbers are not real but I think
    they might be relatively close to reality. If any business can come up with a way to squeeze 20% more money on average
    out of its customers without raising your own expenses that's huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Funny that sub costs have stayed the same since day 1, Blizzard store mounts and pets have stayed the same cost since day 1, and every optional feature (server transfer, race change, etc) has as well and yet you spout this kind of ignorance. Clearly the merger had a HUGE impact on turning Blizzard to the dark, evil nature of wanting to be a successful business. Look at how much their services increased in cost! ...oh wait.

Do you have hard data that can back that statement up? Can you present specific % increases, sales spikes, dips, increases in revenue based on 'greedy evil Blizzard store malpractice' that occured at precisely the moment activistion signed up? Hm?

Whats that? You can't? Oh, I see.

Do you honestly not realize how clueless, how inept, you sound with these statements? I mean, I'm sincerely inquiring here - are you that oblivious to the absolute lack of fact in what you say? Or do you just jump on the 'whatever's being bitched about this week' bandwagon because at some point it became cool to hate on WoW and Blizzard?
    Easy, those "value added" services didn't exist before the merge. Maybe just transfers? With a huge cooldown, like 6 months or something.

It is always amusing to see customers who would rather support a faceless company with a hand in their pocket, instead of other fellow customers.
    You stand to gain nothing(hell, you might end up losing something) from this behaviour, and, on the contrary, everything to gain from being more demanding, having higher standards etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thread title seems to want to pretend that cash shops have never existed in MMO's least of all the cash shop for WoW that's been around for years. The Blizzard store exists because it's been shown that cash shops and game stores are good profit centers over a range of genres, game design studios and titles. People enjoy buying stuff. Why anyone on the planet thinks that this or the fact that Blizzard is a for-profit company that's interested in making a profit is some new insight that no one has ever had before is a complete mystery to me.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-07-16 at 04:54 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    Because some people play for other reasons than you do.... Some people enjoy cosmetics. Why should we have to pay MORE money for cosmetics we like when that is the point of a subscription? Every time I will see a transmog or reward I want, that costs extra money, it will be impossible to not be annoyed it is not attainable by PLAYING the game.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not disputing that. We actually agree. I understand that it is subjective, but it is obvious the attention to detail is greater in store purchases. Mounts are not re-skins but completely new models, as are the pets. Also, they have to justify paying extra with quality. When does it become "wow art department, great job creating that awesome transmog set. It's definitely better than the last one so lets save THAT for the store"...
    Except there are no complete sets in the store, which makes your closing statement a mixture of hyperbole and horseshit. There are 3 helms coming that barely look on par with MC gear (Crown of Destruction says hello) and mounts that are arguably inferior to the ones made available in game. Couple of examples (yes I realize that's my opinion, not necessarily yours) incoming:

Blizzard Store: Sparklypony
    WoW: Invincible

Blizzard Store: bananadragon
    WoW: Cloud Serpents

etc etc.

Here's the part you need to get through your head. Paying a subscription does not entitle you to everything, ever, that Blizzard makes for WoW. Your sub fee entitles you to access to the game and your characters/server as current as the highest expansion you've paid for. Nothing more. Anything extra is just that: extra.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Exp boost have no impact on max level content or gameplay. No effect what so ever. So no, exp boost is not P2W. And lets not forget that faster leveling speed has been available for years by the use of RAF.
    I agree with the small caveat that when a new expansion comes out realm first guilds will see exp boosts as mandatory because faster max level= more time to gear up before the first raid unlocks=better chance at world/realm first. This is of course, assuming the leveling flask works all the way to max level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plosion View Post
    Easy, those "value added" services didn't exist before the merge. Maybe just transfers? With a huge cooldown, like 6 months or something.

It is always amusing to see customers who would rather support a faceless company with a hand in their pocket, instead of other fellow customers.
    You stand to gain nothing(hell, you might end up losing something) from this behaviour, and, on the contrary, everything to gain from being more demanding, having higher standards etc.
    What will I lose exactly? Pats-on-the-back from a bunch of whining fools who think Blizzard is THE DEVIL for wanting to be a successful business? High fives from the same people who declare Blizzard is now a bunch black-hearted, soulless abominations for selling a handful of mediocre transmog helms? People who talk out of their asses about how the moment Activision and Blizzard merged, suddenly there was a mysterious increase in EEVVVVVVIL emanating from Irvine CA?

Sorry pal but I don't jump on the kneejerkomgqqwtfblizz wagon unless there's a legitimate concern. Selling a bunch of pets and mounts, or even mog gear, is not a legitimate concern. Its optional content: some of it I bought happily, some of it I couldn't care less about.

So forgive me if I can't find a rat's ass to give about being one of 'you guys'.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2013-07-16 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    Because some people play for other reasons than you do.... Some people enjoy cosmetics. Why should we have to pay MORE money for cosmetics we like when that is the point of a subscription? Every time I will see a transmog or reward I want, that costs extra money, it will be impossible to not be annoyed it is not attainable by PLAYING the game.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not disputing that. We actually agree. I understand that it is subjective, but it is obvious the attention to detail is greater in store purchases. Mounts are not re-skins but completely new models, as are the pets. Also, they have to justify paying extra with quality. When does it become "wow art department, great job creating that awesome transmog set. It's definitely better than the last one so lets save THAT for the store"...
    Actually, most pets are reskins. The Pandaren Monk uses the Tuskarr skeleton. The Cinder Kitten uses the simple cat model, but with the fiery skin and a bigger head and smaller paws. Cenarion Hatchling is the exact same model as the Hippogryph Hatchling. The Moonkins use the Moonkin animations. Lil XT is a slightly modified XT-002. Soul of the Aspects uses the same animations as the Celestial Dragon.

As far as mounts, the Celestial Steed shares its animations/model with Invincible and Tyrael's Charger. The Winged Guardian uses animations from cats, wyverns, and gryphons.

Some have altered or unique animations, but overall, most of them are not as unique as people think. They are just unique skins.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Deleted
    Let's talk about hysterical, blown out of proportion drama.

Everything is for sale?

Calm yo tits, yo.

It's cosmetic shit and XP boosts. Don't want it? Don't buy it. I'll let my pitchfork be until they start selling gear or gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Making money is fine. Making grotesque amounts of money is not.
    Define the difference. Be specific.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Making money is fine. Making grotesque amounts of money is not.
    I'm sorry but this is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

As long as it's legal, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with making ANY amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Define the difference. Be specific.
    The addition of an adjective.

yeah wow has turned into a monthly sub game WITH an item store, which in my opinion kind of sucks. its not the primary thing, but one of many things that have left me with absolutely no desire to play it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    What will I lose exactly? Pats-on-the-back from a bunch of whining fools who think Blizzard is THE DEVIL for wanting to be a successful business? High fives from the same people who declare Blizzard is now a bunch black-hearted, soulless abominations for selling a handful of mediocre transmog helms? People who talk out of their asses about how the moment Activision and Blizzard merged, suddenly there was a mysterious increase in EEVVVVVVIL emanating from Irvine CA?

Sorry pal but I don't jump on the kneejerkomgqqwtfblizz wagon unless there's a legitimate concern. Selling a bunch of pets and mounts, or even mog gear, is not a legitimate concern. Its optional content: some of it I bought happily, some of it I couldn't care less about.

So forgive me if I can't find a rat's ass to give about being one of 'you guys'.
    What you fail to understand is that companies aren't going to play fair with you either.

By siding(or by just staying neutral) with the "complainers" you have a chance at getting better value for your money.
    That's a nice boon, right?

By siding with the company what do you get? Not even that pat in the back. Nothing at ALL.
    It may be objectively be not that big of a deal (regarding this particular issue), but do you really think companies are going to apply that sane logic to you aswell, should a "Customer satisfaction vs money" concern arise? (See lack of server merges for years).
    No they won't, and they didn't, many times already.
    Last edited by plosion; 2013-07-16 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    It's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic, or dense. However, since this is MMO Champion and the collective IQ of the of readers make me worry about humanity (take the Swaziland thread as an example), I will assume the latter.

It appears that people are taking the term "Pay-to-Win" in the literal sense. It doesn't necessarily have to mean it only includes being able to purchase high level epics with real money.

Pay-to-Win is any model that affects the game play of the game and/or gives an advantage over someone who does not pay. The XP boost is clearly a device that falls under the Pay-to-Win model. Because it's not as substantial as buying epics doesn't negate the fact it's still Pay-to-Win.

Still intrigued?
    Recruit a Friend has existed for a whopping five years. Whether or not the exp boost potion is p2w is something I'll leave up to you; rather, if you do think that the exp boost potion is p2w, then you must also acknowledge that WoW has been p2w for the past 5 years.

Or does it not work that way?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. There is a demand for these cosmetic upgrades and people are willing to spend real money on this. I'm assuming they were spending some time making the store and making sure the infrastructure was perfect.

Partially, we triggered it. We're like the kid asking for chocolate bars at night not knowing its bad for us. But the parents who have greater power has the choice to give it to us or discipline us by not giving it. People say truth is subjective but no. Opinions are subjective, people will always have different thoughts because they've experience different things, been different places, heard things, read things, w/e. But truth isn't., just take gravity or space for example, we may not know the full knowledge of it or explain it masterfully, but what ever rule it is or what ever state it was during July 16, 11:50 am 2 seconds w/e will stay what it was forever. Now to tell why thats relevant is you can parent, lead or teach how ever you want, but that doesn't mean you can't be bad at any of those.