Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GTX 760 SLI PSU Requirements

Found a lot of conflicting evidence on the web in the last few days so decided I'd ask on here.

My current PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171036

I'm using a GA-Z77X-D3H Motherboard and an i5-2320 CPU slightly overclocked combined with an Cooler Master X6 CPU cooler and a Gigabyte GTX 760 non-reference overclocked edition (first revision, blue PCB)

Out of pure curiosity, if I add a second GTX 760 will I need to replace the PSU? If it isn't wattage that is the issue, the PSU has 2 PCI-e power connectors and I'm using both on my GTX 760 at the moment, how would I overcome this obstacle?

If adding a GTX 760 for SLI will work fine on my PSU, would I be able to then upgrade the CPU to something like an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.0-4.2ghz?

Does it make any difference that I'm using a lot of USB peripherals? >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Can it handle an i7-4770K overclocked with SLI 760s? Yes. But, that's with reservations.

On normal load, it ought to only pull about 400w. Stress testing may get close to the edge though (~550w), depending on degredation, since it's an older PSU, and the Silent Pro series is... kinda Meh?

Do you NEED to replace it? Probably not.
    Should you, since you're already dropping ~$550? It might be something to consider. I think you should be safe though.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Your current system + an extra 760 would probably draw around ~450-500W at ~90% load and considering your current PSU only delivers ~480W (40 Amp) I would strongly consider a new PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't realize the 12v line was so low. Yeah, it's going to be pushing it a bit if you ever hit something that stresses your system. you could always just drop that current PSU into another system if you have one >.>
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything specific I should look into with a new PSU? What amp/railing thingies should I be on the look out for?

Any lineups/brands/specific models you guys can recommend?

Should the platinum/gold/silver/bronze thing be of any concern to me? (I dont care how much this thing draws from the wall, government subsidized electricity bills)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    Any lineups/brands/specific models you guys can recommend?
    Should the platinum/gold/silver/bronze thing be of any concern to me? (I dont care how much this thing draws from the wall, government subsidized electricity bills)
    For SLI 760s, any 650 of a good brand will do fine.

Example.

Your 600w Coolermaster gets 480w on the 12v line.
    The 620w Seasonic gets 580w on the 12v line. That alone right there might do it.
    The 650w XFX gets 636w

While only 'rated' 20w more, it has 100w more where it actually counts, as the 12v line is what the CPU and GPU pretty much tap into (the yellow wires, traditionally).

Bronze is fine. Anything above bronze is usually marketing gimmick, as the rating certification costs you more than the energy saved.

10+ Year Old Account
    how can i tell how much my gpu and cpu will get

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get a 650-750w PSU from XFX, Corsair or Seasonic.

10+ Year Old Account
    in any case do you think SLI gtx 760s and a slightly OCd 3770k will get me going at BF4 1080p near max settings 60fps? alpha benchmarks are scaring me

- - - Updated - - -

Ok will add a Corsair/Seasonic 750watter or 800 to my upgrade wishlist

Also, with 2 GPUs you'll either need 4 PCI-E cables or you're bound to use 4-pin molex to PCI-E adapters. (2 Molex to one PCI-E)
    That's going to be a lot of chaos as long as you're not customizing the adapters for yourself (making them yourself).

10+ Year Old Account
    can you suggest a good PSU with 4 cables

I think most manufacturers only put 4 PCI-E connectors for 700-750 watt++
    If you don't care about looks, buy adapters.
    If you have time and a soldering iron and spare connectors, make your own adapters.
    If you have time and patience and want to sleeve your cables (and a soldering iron+spare cables to solder together or tools to crimp them yourself), make yourself an awesome looking build.

Otherwise just search for a 650-750 watt PSU and look at the pictures. (note: many graphics cards come with the molex-to-PCI-E adapters)

10+ Year Old Account
    my 760 indeed came with some form of adapters but I didn't know what they're for >.<

my 760 indeed came with some form of adapters but I didn't know what they're for >.<
    They are likely adapters for the output (DVI>VGA, HDMI>DVI and such). If yours has a extra power cable, it might have adapters for that so you can find the right spot to plug it into the mobo or use a spare power cable from the PSU.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Molex to PCIe

Molex is PSU side, PCIe is GPU side

As long as you keep the adapters from the next one. You'll connect one card with 2 PCI-E cables and the other one with the molex adapters.
    Also, get a second Gigabyte card. They have proven their windforce cooler to be one of the best (if not the best). And sometimes dual card configurations can have heat problems (at least the upper card) so good cooling is important.

And I'd go with Seasonic, Corsair (which basically is Seasonic for many of their PSUs). OCZ, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, BeQuiet and many more are pretty good, too.
    Last edited by Shyxlol; 2013-07-16 at 09:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've read OCZ craps out a lot and BeQuiet! belongs in the hall of shame for worst brand names in history but I'll look into Seasonic and Corsair. Thanks :3

Deleted
    XFX ProSeries 750W Gold
    SeaSonic M12II 750W

Both modular and Haswell compatible.

Edit: nvm, you're running IvyBridge so I guess the compatibility doesn't matter, not with your current build anyways.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-07-16 at 11:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've read OCZ craps out a lot and BeQuiet! belongs in the hall of shame for worst brand names in history but I'll look into Seasonic and Corsair. Thanks :3
    Be Quiet! is not a bad brand. No need to be melodramatic.

If anyone belongs in the "Hall of shame" for worst brand it's either Logisys or Raidmax.