Are spriests not very good OR am I bad

Hi Guys just have a question about the current state of shadow priests. I haven't played properly since the end of WOTLK. For most of cata and mop I've just been playing alts and doing LFR garbage, no 'real' raiding - most of this has been holy. In BC and WOTLK I was in realm first guilds and have the relevant titles and so forth so I'm not just a bad player...i hope!

Today for the first time this xpac I did LFR as shadow and I am unsure if I've personally played horribly, or something else. My gear level is 496, and as holy I've been going very well. I understand that healing meters mean nothing as long as you do the boss, but for perspective I'm always at the top, even against more geared players. As shadow today, the only people I beat were the healers, the tanks, and a afk hunter. I don't think I played poorly either, the dots refreshed when needed, MB on CD, good Halo's ect. There were 2 warlocks, 2 dks, a monk and a few others that doubled my damage. Usually 55-60k vs 120k+

As holy I have no issues going well, but I didn't know what was wrong as shadow unfortunately.

Deleted
    Without any logs to see what you're doing, or even an armory to see your character, there is no way for us to know what you're doing wrong.

but aside from that, Shadowpriests are currently bottom of the meters at most gear levels. at your gear level, you should be looking at about 100K DPS though, not 60K.

Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post
    Without any logs to see what you're doing, or even an armory to see your character, there is no way for us to know what you're doing wrong.

but aside from that, Shadowpriests are currently bottom of the meters at most gear levels. at your gear level, you should be looking at about 100K DPS though, not 60K.
    Yeah armory required, but he will not be able to pull in 100k DPS at a 496 gear score. Haste too low, probably no LMG/ULVS.

I would say 75-80k single target is what he should be clocking.

Quote Originally Posted by calcinator View Post
    Yeah armory required
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/Weena/simple

Quote Originally Posted by calcinator View Post
    I would say 75-80k single target is what he should be clocking.
    75k was around what I was doing on twin consorts, but I hardly had to move or do anything else

Get gems, enchants and 8085 haste.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi Weena, shadow at lower ilvls is pretty depressing, just keep chasing more haste, from when you stopped raiding with us at the end of wotlk, shadow has been up and down, but overall it was pretty amazing most of cata, Mop has swung the other way, alot of nerfs coming from pvp messing with pve.

Also if you don't already have it, get http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/halopro
    Last edited by soulyouth; 2013-07-17 at 01:18 PM.
    Sig by Safhira

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    This^^ gemming and enchanting properly, reforging properly will go a long way. Start getting used to MF:I as well, it beats FDCL by a large margin, especially once gear gets higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Helycon View Post
    This^^ gemming and enchanting properly, reforging properly will go a long way. Start getting used to MF:I as well, it beats FDCL by a large margin, especially once gear gets higher.
    Yeah, drop FDCL. Insanity is better in every fight if you can clip properly.

Looking at your gear, 75K for consorts is right on point. The next major dps boosts for you will be: ToT weapon, T15 2pc, 8085 haste, ULVS trinket. 3 of those should get your closer to 100k

Deleted
    If you're so amazing at holy, stick yourself in DPS-chakra and use PI together with Hero and spam away (shouldnt be that much lower than shadow, singletarget dps is crap for shadow any case)

Early on it's all about getting your hit cap (which you have), and then getting past a few haste breakpoints. Both crit and mastery are decent, but overall won't really effect you much til your haste is much higher.

Then as others have said, switching to Solace and Insanity talent will give your Mind Flay's a nice boost of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    If you're so amazing at holy, stick yourself in DPS-chakra and use PI together with Hero and spam away (shouldnt be that much lower than shadow, singletarget dps is crap for shadow any case)
    This sounds interesting, I should try it for funsies some night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    this ^^

howtopriest Shadow Guide
    twintop-tahoe

those ^^

There's also a lot of relevant info on these mmo priest forums, you'll likely find a lot more info looking through other's questions and answers then you can find by asking a vague question that's been asked frequently. good luck tho ^^

OK so I took in what people said. I gemmed/ enchanted correctly, and have changed the talent. I can't reach the 8085 haste cap with my current gear, but I'll keep trying to get the 8085 haste. Ty

You seem to be a little shy of the hit cap, even if you don't fully gem and ench (I generally leave the expensive enchants until I get a decent piece in that slot) you want to make hit cap your top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    Ergh, Holy DPS is utter garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2 View Post
    OK so I took in what people said. I gemmed/ enchanted correctly, and have changed the talent. I can't reach the 8085 haste cap with my current gear, but I'll keep trying to get the 8085 haste. Ty
    You really should be able to reach 8085 haste in 495 ilvl. I mean I can remember reaching it in like half 463 HC dungeon gear or something.. Trade Int for haste through gems. Get tons of old coins and spam LFR Elegon 'till you get LoC etc.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Spriest are gonna suck until they get their haste break points.

- - - Updated - - -

Your gems are all fucked up as well. You're not using the right ones.

Blue/purple sockets: Energized Wild Jade
    Yellow/Red/Orange sockets: Quick and/or Reckless

not correct, his ilvl is a tad low to be swapping to that gemming, should wait till about 510-515ilvl

Below 504 iLvL
    You are still going to be going 160 int in red sockets, 80 int 160 hit/spirit in blue sockets, and 80 int 160 haste in yellow sockets. What has changed for you is reforging. You are going to go Haste > Crit > Mastery. You will no longer be going to 8085 haste and then reforging to crit.

Around 505 - 524 iLvL
    When you start getting around this ilvl, your secondary stats start to exceed .5 of an int ratio. This means for you, that your gemming is going to change. You will gem 80 int 160 haste in red sockets, 160 hit/spirit 160 haste in blue sockets, and 320 haste in yellow sockets. Depending on the socket bonus, you will start to only go for int/haste socket bonuses(meta gem bonuses are almost always worth going for).

Anything that is 525+ iLvL
    You are going to start having too much hit on your gear. This means the value of 160 hit/spirt 160 haste gems are going to start to drop in value. And you will most likely just gem straight 320 in any blue socket depending on the socket bonus.
    Last edited by soulyouth; 2013-07-19 at 12:34 PM.
    Sig by Safhira