Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

CPU Upgrade for WoW

I currently own a i7 2600 along with a Radeon 6970, 8gb ram and an ssd. WoW however still lags on ultra at most times, I've been told this is a cpu issue. When running on 'good' quality I still get low fps during raids and certain high populated areas (average ~30 fps in a raid). I was wondering whether it would be worth upgrading to the new haswell i7 or the sandy-bridge extreme. Or perhaps even waiting for the ivy-bridge extreme cpus to drop. Thoughts? One more thing, I currently use a 1080p monitor, though I may upgrade to a 2560x1440 one in the future. Ideally I want to be raiding on 50-60 fps while running on at least good quality. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flowsion View Post
    I currently own a i7 2600 along with a Radeon 6970, 8gb ram and an ssd. WoW however still lags on ultra at most times, I've been told this is a cpu issue. When running on 'good' quality I still get low fps during raids and certain high populated areas (average ~30 fps in a raid). I was wondering whether it would be worth upgrading to the new haswell i7 or the sandy-bridge extreme. Or perhaps even waiting for the ivy-bridge extreme cpus to drop. Thoughts? One more thing, I currently use a 1080p monitor, though I may upgrade to a 2560x1440 one in the future. Ideally I want to be raiding on 50-60 fps while running on at least good quality. Thanks
    If it's just for WoW, go with a Haswell i5. No point in going with an i7 unless you are doing tasks that actually use Hyperthreading, which WoW and most games do not.

Id go with the 4770k and then if you still aren't satisfied with your fps then go with a better card such as the gtx 770 or higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Id go with the 4770k and then if you still aren't satisfied with your fps then go with a better card such as the gtx 770 or higher.
    For what reason?

For gaming mainly, the i5 is perfectly fine.

@OP

It's unfortunate you don't have an unlocked 2600K then you could just overclock it and increase performance that way. Only way to really increase your CPU performance would be getting an i5-3570k/i5-2500k and overclock it, the i7-2600 is actually good for WoW. If you decide to to go with a Haswell i5-4670K you'd also need a new (Z87) motherboard.

GTX 770 would be good, if you want to max other games and at 1440p you should probably look at getting a GTX 780. (Ultra settings)

10+ Year Old Account
    What motherboard do you have? If you have an OC capable board, you could just get a 2500K and call it a day. Spending for a new board AND a new CPU that would only be marginally better than just the CPU seems silly.

Actually, you could probably make a profit by selling your 2600 and buying a 2500K.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    With a BIOS update it will most likely (depending on which board you have) also fit an i5-3570k, which is the same price or even cheaper.