Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Faction Lore Bias Simply Just a Perception of Players

So here's what I'm thinking. What if there's no such thing as faction lore bias according to certain players but is instead merely a perception of what players see for themselves? Both factions are equal in terms of power (even though during certain parts of the WoW timeline this is clearly not the case where during the First War the Horde wins, but then the Alliance wins the second war, with the Horde gaining more prowess by the end of Cataclysm only to have it completely shattered at the end of MoP with their morale at an all-time low with the Alliance becoming a completely unified force.) and both factions have both their good sides and their bad sides. So the question is how do you see that perception and how does it affect your view of the game?

IMO, yes, it is, and I'll be persecuted for agreeing with you.

I think, and this is just my opinion on it, the Horde is just easier to write for. Flawed characters are much easier to manipulate and develop than those who, well, aren't.

Because of that, it's also easier to sympathize and enjoy such characters. They're the character types readers fall in love with more-often.

The Alliance I think is a fantastic faction, and I love what Blizzard has attempted with them this expansion.

I just don't think anyone will ever be happy with where the Alliance is story wise.
    Last edited by Mawnix; 2013-07-17 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I think most the people saying there is no bias are Horde, to be honest.

At this point it's mostly arguing about which crappy storyline was crappier.

Pretty much. Alot of people mistakenly believe that attention equals "bias".

Granted the Horde have had alot of attention recently, but it's still not bias.

yes, its all in peoples fat heads, people don't understand that in a story about factions things will never be 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    IMO, yes, it is, and I'll be persecuted for agreeing with you.

I think, and this is just my opinion on it, the Horde is just easier to write for. Flawed characters are much easier to manipulate and develop than those who, well, aren't
    you do realize the characters didn't just pop up by them self right?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is perception of players for a large part. On the other hand there is also just plain things that Blizz writes out and thinks up that could be better. Which is why we have PTR's and why they ask for feedback all the time. They can write good (better!) stories for us if they don't know what we disliked.

I'm very interested to see the exact way the siege of Orgrimmar ends, and how this new warchief choosing comes about, and what makes Varian walk away, instead of conquering Orgrimmar when he has the chance. Much of it will be coloured by faction bias by players, so I'm curious what Blizz has thought up to frame all this to make it convincing for both sides.

I think the imagined bias has to do with the type of races that belong to each faction. Alliance are the standard fantasy trope, while the horde are traditional enemy npc races. Because of those stereotypes, and the inherent "coolness" of making the non-conformist choice, horde is considered to be the cool faction. So there's so much perceived bias due to the basic hispter notions that choosing traditional roles is uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    you do realize the characters didn't just pop up by them self right?
    No but there's always been a stereotypical image of what an "Alliance" and "Horde" would be.

Tell me: when you think of those two words, what do you associate with each?

Because both factions as they currently are fit each of those faction titles extremely well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how closely you listen to Blizz, and how much you expect them to fulfill on their promises.

If you're counting, this makes 2 expansions in a row the Alliance has been shat on by the Horde and in the end they just walk away without demanding something in return for that.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I think blizzard catering to casuals has increased the level of entitlement amongst a certain demographic within the player base. These players mostly play alliance and hence the increased whining commensurate to the increased accessibility of the game. Imagine in TBC someone complaining about story bias. Back when the game was challenging people had better things to focus on

I don't think it is. Despite the various often-repeated stereotypes, there's not much difference between the Alliance and Horde players. If one faction is complaining and the other is not, this suggests a real bias. If it was all in people's heads, you'd expect an equal amount of complaining on both sides.

^ See post above mine for an example of such stereotyping. There's never any evidence to back them up.

The very nature of what the Alliance have always been and their views on things make them nearly impossible to become interesting imo. I don't think I've cared about anything that's ever happened with the Alliance since I started playing at launch, or even what they did in Warcraft 3 to be honest. Their beliefs and and way of doings things limits them like crazy from doing anything interesting.

Watch last year's BlizzCon and tell me that it's all in players' minds.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

in war there's always gonna be one side doing better than the other but people just can't accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    Oh my god a few people said things against the alliance in a derogotory manner clearly everyone in blizzard hates alliance!!111111111111!!!!
    Last edited by dki07; 2013-07-18 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperpally View Post
    I think blizzard catering to casuals has increased the level of entitlement amongst a certain demographic within the player base. These players mostly play alliance and hence the increased whining commensurate to the increased accessibility of the game. Imagine in TBC someone complaining about story bias. Back when the game was challenging people had better things to focus on
    You clearly didn't play during TBC.
    Since people did complain about how the draenei got almost no lore at all beyond their starting zone and the blood elves were everywhere in Outland.
    And Horde whined about how draenei were cool and blood elves were just another version of night elves.

That you would even bring up game difficulty or casual vs hardcore in a thread about faction bias is just... sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    Last year's blizzcon eh?

Deleted
    Pretty much, confirmation bias also plays a part. "Oh my god, Thrall is in that quest. He is everywhere it must be horde bias" etc.

Or simply because a player enjoys one faction more/less than the other it means there is favourtism to their/the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    Pretty much, confirmation bias also plays a part. "Oh my god, Thrall is in that quest. He is everywhere it must be horde bias" etc.

Or simply because a player enjoys one faction more/less than the other it means there is favourtism to their/the other side.
    Yeah clearly it was Thrall in "that quest."

I guess we're ignoring their broad-stroked victory in Cataclysm.
    Theremore's destruction.
    5.3 is a laughable storyline for the Alliance.
    The fact that even after Garrosh is deposed the Alliance just fucking leaves.