Healer Proving Grounds

Just for anyone that's interested in the difficulty of proving grounds on ptr (This is as a resto druid).

Bronze = Healing For babies
    Silver = Healing for babies
    Gold = Healing for babies (Apart from the last round which is not really hard but it kind of surprises you after 20 waves of nothing)

Endless ramps it up slightly but not really that much until wave 5 or so. Then it gets slightly harder in that you actually have to pay attention and can't be slow on any despells or the the tanks HP.

Then at Rank 7 it goes to ridiculous mode spawning three casters that will cast fire randomly onto the ground and if your slow to move or stand in it you lose 40% hp. They also cast pyro blast that hits for 1/3 of your HP. As far as I can tell they have no agro threshold and will free cast on your raid after your rogue/mage buddy use there interrupts. They are immune to all cc except stuns as well.

So if all 3 decide to target a certain player they will get one shot and if one of your semi derpy buddies gets hit by the ground effect they will also almost get insta killed by a pyro blast straight after. Its pretty ridiculously RNG and it doesn't help that sometimes your team will dps better and so clear the previous wave faster and sometimes they don't. T

I never passed rank 8 because I either wiped before hand or was ridiculously oom from the previous. It may be easier for or a disc/pally with absorbs. The whole thing is pretty badly tuned going for snorefest to semi engaging to ridiculous in one wave.

If anyone got to rank 9 I would be interested to know how and as what class!
    Last edited by Coppas; 2013-07-19 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppas View Post
    Just for anyone that's interested in the difficulty of proving grounds on ptr (This is as a resto druid).

Bronze = Healing For babies
    Silver = Healing for babies
    Gold = Healing for babies (Apart from the last round which is not really hard but it kind of surprises you after 20 waves of nothing)

Endless ramps it up slightly but not really that much until wave 5 or so. Then it gets slightly harder in that you actually have to pay attention and can't be slow on any despells or the the tanks HP.

Then at Rank 7 it goes to ridiculous mode spawning three casters that will cast fire randomly onto the ground and if your slow to move or stand in it you lose 40% hp. They also cast pyro blast that hits for 1/3 of your HP. As far as I can tell they have no agro threshold and will free cast on your raid after your rogue/mage buddy use there interrupts. They are immune to all cc except stuns as well.

So if all 3 decide to target a certain player they will get one shot and if one of your semi derpy buddies gets hit by the ground effect they will also almost get insta killed by a pyro blast straight after. Its pretty ridiculously RNG and it doesn't help that sometimes your team will dps better and so clear the previous wave faster and sometimes they don't. T

I never passed rank 8 because I either wiped before hand or was ridiculously oom from the previous. It may be easier for or a disc/pally with absorbs. The whole thing is pretty badly tuned going for snorefest to semi engaging to ridiculous in one wave.

You should keep in mind that this was just added to PTR not even a week ago. That is the point of ptr, for Blizzard to have things tested so they can tune them properly. If anything, give your feedback at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5658985?page=1

yeah, they set it at whatever they deemed to difficulty they "think" it should be right now. after a bunch of people test it, they'll ramp it up/scale it back depending on your feedback

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppas View Post
    I got to wave 16 on my monk. Wave 9 was Mantid/Vermin/Jinyu iirc, can't remember 10th wave, I was too stressed healing everything . I wouldn't be suprised to see them nerfed some way, wave 18 and 28 must just be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Talimonk View Post
    I got to wave 16 on my monk. Wave 9 was Mantid/Vermin/Jinyu iirc, can't remember 10th wave, I was too stressed healing everything . I wouldn't be suprised to see them nerfed some way, wave 18 and 28 must just be ridiculous.
    Oof 16 nice, it must go back to semi easier waves after the hard one then but being a druid with low spirit = 0 mana I guess, compared with Monk!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    You should keep in mind that this was just added to PTR not even a week ago. That is the point of ptr, for Blizzard to have things tested so they can tune them properly. If anything, give your feedback
    Didn't realize there was a sole thread for Proving grounds, will post feedback, thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the first PTR build where Proving Grounds have ever been available. They are still tuning it and will likely be changing the difficulty a lot over the next month.

I got to try it early a few weeks ago when Gold was tuned so it was impossible to beat, furthest I got was the sixth wave (with most tries failing around three or four). This time I beat Gold on the second try -- and I only failed the first because I DC'd and was ported back to shrine! I agree with you that Gold is way too easy (Silver probably too, to be fair) and no where near their intended tuning goals (bronze: 5man heroics, silver: normal raiding, gold: heroic raiding). I haven't tried Endless yet.

The way we get it there is by leaving feedback so they can tune it better. So please let Blizzard know.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-07-19 at 06:56 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    This is the first PTR build where Proving Grounds have ever been available. They are still tuning it and will likely be changing the difficulty a lot over the next month.

I got to try it early a few weeks ago when Gold was tuned so it was impossible to beat, furthest I got was the sixth wave (with most tries failing around three or four). This time I beat Gold on the second try -- and I only failed the first because I DC'd and was ported back to shrine! I agree with you that Gold is way too easy (Silver probably too, to be fair) and no where near their intended tuning goals (bronze: 5man heroics, silver: normal raiding, gold: heroic raiding).

The way we get it there is by leaving feedback so they can tune it better. So please let Blizzard know.
    Gold is meant to mean "ready for heroic raiding" yes? So means you can clear normal mode. It sounds like it's intended to be easy and people who aren't the weak links in heroic raids should be looking at endless and endless only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Gold is meant to mean "ready for heroic raiding" yes? So means you can clear normal mode. It sounds like it's intended to be easy and people who aren't the weak links in heroic raids should be looking at endless and endless only.
    I thought, although I could have misunderstood because it's kinda a finicky separation, that getting to gold means ready for heroic raiding and that gold itself is supposed to be heroic raiding level difficulty, although probably on the easier side of the heroic raiding spectrum. It's totally possible though that beating gold is supposed to be equivalent to beating normal difficulty but even if that is the intention, it is still a bit too easy. People who farm heroics might forget that even normal modes can have harrowing moments (Megaera and sub 30% Lei Shen come to mind) which PG really don't right now aside from maybe one of the gold waves.

Bronze is rightly fuckall easy. Silver should probably be a little more difficult towards the end. Gold should definitely start getting harder a little sooner than the final wave. I am mostly a normal mode raider nowadays (although to be fair I've done a decent amount of heroic raiding in the past), so Gold should probably be at least a little challenging for me.

I'm not advocating them being so hard that people get excluded, but there has to be some level of testing yourself there to keep them interesting.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I thought, although I could have misunderstood because it's kinda a finicky separation, that getting to gold means ready for heroic raiding and that gold itself is supposed to be heroic raiding level difficulty, although probably on the easier side of the heroic raiding spectrum. It's totally possible though that beating gold is supposed to be equivalent to beating normal difficulty but even if that is the intention, it is still a bit too easy. People who farm heroics might forget that even normal modes can have harrowing moments (Megaera and sub 30% Lei Shen come to mind) which PG really don't right now aside from maybe one of the gold waves.

Bronze is rightly fuckall easy. Silver should probably be a little more difficult towards the end. Gold should definitely start getting harder a little sooner than the final wave. I am mostly a normal mode raider nowadays (although to be fair I've done a decent amount of heroic raiding in the past), so Gold should probably be at least a little challenging for me.

I'm not advocating them being so hard that people get excluded, but there has to be some level of testing yourself there to keep them interesting.
    It should be hard enough that it's a credible achievement. This way, people without raid experience can get a chance to show that they're capable. "No exp, but *links Proven Defender achievement*" might get someone in the door that otherwise wouldn't be given a fair break. But if anyone can do it, then it's just wasted effort.

You aren't a normal mode raider, you raid in a normal mode guild. If you are capable of doing heroics then that's how you will see PG's, as it's entirely individual. I raid in a guild that's barely hc raiding (3/13 i think) but I am planning to aim for 40-50 wave endless as a goal right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Is anyone having problems passing gold with holy paladin? I've had tons of problems with the latest updates on the PTR.

I'm not sure what they did about the difficulty but at around wave 5 and 6 on gold it just seems to pile up too much and mana going down too fast. I'm holy shocking, and judging with the new talent for holy, tried eternal flame as well of course. I'm not sure if I missed something important. Using seal of insight, holy prism, glyph of light of dawn. I'm rotating and using my CDs as well, Divine Favor, Hand of Purity, Guardian of Ancient Kings, Avenging Wrath, Beacon of Light on the tank etc.

I cleared it as druid having no serious problems after a few tries.

Any advice? I'm using the blue 463 iLevel gear I got from the bags on the PTR. I used them on the druid as well, meaning that it should be comparable.

Update: Okay I switched to the glyph of illumination, using Eternal Flame on 1 Holy Power for the Divine Purpose Proc and mana seems a bit better now. Are you guys using that one as well ?
    Seems pretty crap if holy paladin needs to spam eternal flame on 1 holy power for the Divine Purpose proc and hope for mana returns on Glyph of Illumination.
    Still can't get past wave 6 though.
    Last edited by Nischi; 2013-08-09 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Update

How exactly is it "healing for babies" if you never actually completed it?
    Last edited by xdmemes; 2013-08-10 at 11:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find that as long as you can beat bronze, you can heal 5-man heroics. I noticed that I'll make a pre-made I've never/hardly healed with before (like druid or shaman) with default gear (non-PvP rare-quality gear), and I'll nearly wipe on the last pull of Bronze because of the sudden spike of aoe damage. Luckily, unless everyone is naked, that kind of damage doesn't happen in LFD so if you can clear Bronze heals, you can heal dungeons.

At least, that's my saying at the moment.

I fail to understand why people don't get this 'providing ground' is towards lower skilled players to try and help them get better as a player

Obviously if you are a mediocre or high end player, You are going to get gold without a problem

Quote Originally Posted by TheNationGamer View Post
    I fail to understand why people don't get this 'providing ground' is towards lower skilled
    so what, only bads and newbs should get a gym to hone their skills in? lol

Druids can cheese to rank 50 easy using Efflo.

Quote Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
    so what, only bads and newbs should get a gym to hone their skills in? lol
    Well when the entire design goal of this thing is to teach someone how to play their class on a basic functional level...

Endless mode is for the great players that want to push themselves. Everything before that is intended for people that are new to their role/class.