Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Setting my sights too high?

I'm currently raiding with a 25m guild that is 7/13h, and progression has grown stagnant and inconsistent. I really enjoy the people in the guild, but I'd really like to push clearing heroics while they're current, since I doubt I will be able to commit the amount of time that I can currently. There are a couple guilds I have considered applying to that fit my schedule, one of which is 11/13h and one that just killed Lei Shen a week ago, and now working on Ra-Den.

Now, my question is, will I be wasting my time by applying to guilds that are 11-12/13h, as someone that is only 7/13h? I know each guild will be unique in what they will and will not accept, but in general, should I just stick with my current guild and push for more heroics? I figure a well written app, solid logs, and the fact that SoO will be coming out in the next couple of months, perhaps I'd stand a chance.

Just looking for some opinions or perhaps personal experiences. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Might as well as least apply. What's there to lose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by jetersky View Post
    I'm currently raiding with a 25m guild that is 7/13h, and progression has grown stagnant and inconsistent. I really enjoy the people in the guild, but I'd really like to push clearing heroics while they're current, since I doubt I will be able to commit the amount of time that I can currently. There are a couple guilds I have considered applying to that fit my schedule, one of which is 11/13h and one that just killed Lei Shen a week ago, and now working on Ra-Den.

Now, my question is, will I be wasting my time by applying to guilds that are 11-12/13h, as someone that is only 7/13h? I know each guild will be unique in what they will and will not accept, but in general, should I just stick with my current guild and push for more heroics? I figure a well written app, solid logs, and the fact that SoO will be coming out in the next couple of months, perhaps I'd stand a chance.

Just looking for some opinions or perhaps personal experiences. Thanks!
    Every 25man guild who is still progressing right now will most likely gladly take someone with hc experience. Hell even a guild that has already cleared probably would in view of the next patch unless you are playing a really shitty class.

Deleted
    As a 11/13 guild we just took on a 2/13 trial and they have, so far, not been a disappointment!

Quote Originally Posted by Neganova View Post
    Might as well as least apply. What's there to lose?
    Like Nega said, might as well apply. Got nothing to lose. If you can play your class well, perform and not die to stuff and have logs to back it up. HC guilds will take a player as a trial with less progression as long as you can learn fast and be competitive for your gear. I'd say go for it! Worst come to worst you might receive some constructive criticism as well which will only help. GL in your search

7/13h is great for stepping up to a guild similar to the one you mentioned. As stated earlier, we've recruited as low as 1/13h and it has worked out.
    "I realized it is the struggle itself that is the most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." -Data

10+ Year Old Account
    Your happiness and enjoyment are what matter. The guild I've been raiding with the past 9 months (not the one in my sig) recently stopped raiding. GREAT, seriously wonderful people and a sense of community across a multitude of games. The GM stepped down and the raid swapped to 10 man to finish out the tier. As much as I absolutely love playing and hanging out with them, I cannot seriously raid 10 man. There just isn't enough internal competition for my liking. I left and am definitely happier for it, as much as it pained me to stop playing with several of those members.

Just do what makes you happy.

Thank you for the input all, it's appreciated!

Having just made this sort of transition, if you're a good player 25man guilds often pick up players with 1-3 heroic bosses down who are working on end of tier stuff. If they are still doing farm work and you can get into prove yourself thats great, if they are going balls to the wall on lei shen switching is still fine but just be prepared to sit, their more likely to put their experienced players who play well together in rather than chucking a newby to the guild in.

Big things guilds look for, if your gear is at or at least close to where they are, raiding experience (not necessarily current) at high end of a tier, and another big one is legendary chain progression, you can't be lacking behind their the gems and cape are too powerful!
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your logs will be the most important thing imo, there shouldn't be a massive gear gap, you will have to come in knowing the heroic bosses they have on farm of course but your logs will be the deciding factor not your progression level (this is obviously relative as they wouldn't take someone who hasn't cleared normal.)

There's no harm in trying, and making a guild application dosnt take that long if you're good at it.
    It would depend on previous experience from other expansions. If you were progressing in hardmodes in like ulduar when it was new and so on. If you maximized you're character with gems/enchants/professions etc.

Would you have to leave your guild if you made a apply to another?
    mmo-champion has become full of trolls and bad admins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does everyone seem to think that progression = skill?

Playing Devil's Advocate here: 7/13H is already far and beyond the vast majority of guilds currently raiding and is nothing to scoff at. Ask yourself if you are really unhappy in a guild where you enjoy the other people simply because they aren't 13/13H. If the answer is yes, then apply to higher-end guilds, if you're okay with "just" being 7/13H because you enjoy the guild and the people in the guild, then stay. Sometimes following the lure of clearing heroic content isn't worth losing friends and having a good time.

You're basically saying the equivalent to: "I'm a VP making $200,000 a year salary at a company with great perks, should I apply for a VP job making $250,000 instead, but the perks may not be as great and the work will be much harder". In some cases the answer is yes you should, in others its no you shouldn't.

Deleted
    we have recruited a few lower progressed players then us this tier, and they all are preforming really well.
    as long as they show some eagerness and potential in their application then their progress shouldn't really matter that much (though i admit its always preferred.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I've recruited people with no heroic experience at all, if your confident in your abilities app away.
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    Why does everyone seem to think that progression = skill?
    It's evidence, not proof, but it's a pretty good benchmark among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Playing Devil's Advocate here: 7/13H is already far and beyond the vast majority of guilds currently raiding and is nothing to scoff at. Ask yourself if you are really unhappy in a guild where you enjoy the other people simply because they aren't 13/13H. If the answer is yes, then apply to higher-end guilds, if you're okay with "just" being 7/13H because you enjoy the guild and the people in the guild, then stay. Sometimes following the lure of clearing heroic content isn't worth losing friends and having a good time.

You're basically saying the equivalent to: "I'm a VP making $200,000 a year salary at a company with great perks, should I apply for a VP job making $250,000 instead, but the perks may not be as great and the work will be much harder". In some cases the answer is yes you should, in others its no you shouldn't.
    I can certainly appreciate this point of view. I do enjoy my guild for the most part, but I think my desire to look elsewhere just stems from my competitive spirit. I want to be the best at anything I do, and for me 7/13h at this point makes me wonder if we'll be able to even clear before the next tier.

I am definitely taking the decision seriously, which is why I posted here, and will certainly weigh the value of the guild community, rather than just sheer progression numbers.

Thank you again to those that have posted. I welcome anymore opinions or experiences people may have! =)

Yeah basically just fill out a few apps and wait for replies! Nothing to lose

I fail to see how joining a guild that's 11/13 or 12/13 showcases competitive spirit. You'll be going into guilds who've already refined their play styles for bosses for bosses that you've not done before and you'll effectively be being carried, regardless of how well or how badly you do.

I'm only 2/13 and I've had my share of offers to join other guilds (apparently BM tanks are rare /shrug) but I've been in the same guild since mid way through BC and I'm happy and comfortable here.

Like you said, SoO is coming out soon, why take the risk of alienating yourself from people you enjoy playing with just to get a couple of extra notches under your belt, which in honesty you didn't really work for. if you're as competitive as you claim then you'd prefer working for your kills than being spoonfed them.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

That's an odd viewpoint from the above poster =o.

I would instead tell you that you'll be happiest playing among people with similar ideals, or dedication. If you're someone who comes prepared and works at studying/reading for the game... then you'll not be very satisfied in a group where people show up spottily and generally bang their heads against a wall with no plan. It's always good to move to a guild more your speed, and you'll get to do fresh progression with them next tier.

A single person does not have the power to change 10 others typically, you are much better off accepting the reality of that and moving on to somewhere else if you feel there's a reason to. It is just a video game, and most of the non-real-life friendships in game fade pretty quickly.... that's just the nature of it. You'll meet new people quickly, and the old ones will fade away quickly. The few people you are actually close friends with are an exception and generally it's easy to stay in touch and do things cross realm.

Also bridges don't usually get burned unless you set fire to them. If you are very gracious when you leave you can often keep good relationships. I still goof off with, do cross-realm things with, and trade information with old raiders who left for other guilds (and I was not very happy about it at the time, but decided to be supportive instead of follow those feelings).

And yeah your sights are not too high if you are deserving from the evidence of logs/records. You're not asking to be carried >.>, rather you are asking not to have to carry others. We're not a communist society in theory.. so have at.
    Last edited by Justusy; 2013-07-21 at 03:56 AM.