Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Almost Unplayable

I bought this system at SWTOR release and everything ran at the top settings. Played it last December for a month and it was functional, no problems that I remember.

So, I resubbed today, logged in and it's unbearable. Everything is choppy, especially the Warzones, which were absolutely horrible and Balmora (I had a level 33) was miserable although I kind of got it OK but tuning down the settings. But I never, ever, had a problem in Warzones.

I haven't purchased the expansion and my system is, I think, unless something died, exactly what it was 6 months or 1-1/2 years ago. Did something change? Because this is making me feel like I should have spent my $14.99 elsewhere.

Oh, and I see the loading screens suck even more than I remember. I ported to fleet and it was a nightmare. Might be GG for me.

How much cpu and ram usage is being used while the game is going? If the ram is anywhere near maxed your gameplay will be shit. If you can try overclocking the ram a bit. I have to do that with WoW. If I have my system at default WoW uses up a lot of ram and im damn near maxed. The second I overclock it it goes away. It's really weird.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if your rig is hardly capable of handling it... expecting anything more than choppiness is wishful thinking.

I doubt it's an issue but I'll check it. I loaded another character that was on Coruscant. The game crashed twice on me. It looks like Nvidia has a new driver out, maybe....

Couldn't you hide the Cartel icon? Am I seriously going to have to that thing slammed in my face to play a game I'm paying for?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Well, if your rig is hardly capable of handling it... expecting anything more than choppiness is wishful thinking.
    The game handled it flawlessly at release, and 6 months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was the video driver. Seems better, Coruscant is good, but I haven't done a Warzone.

10+ Year Old Account
    That could explain it! D3 crashed on me for ages before I updated my sound drivers and voila... everything fixed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingtall View Post
    Couldn't you hide the Cartel icon? Am I seriously going to have to that thing slammed in my face to play a game I'm paying for?
    Little trick : you can hide the Cartel icon by putting it behind your quickbars, that's what I did XD

Quote Originally Posted by Cryshaelle View Post
    Little trick : you can hide the Cartel icon by putting it behind your quickbars, that's what I did XD
    You can also reduce the brightness in the UI options

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    You can also reduce the brightness in the UI options
    And scale it down to be super small.

But on topic, not having updated drivers for any aspect of your machine can destroy just about anything you do. You'd be surprised how a Mobo update now means it fails to utilize your ram properly, which in turn causes games to not work anymore. Moral of the story is to make sure all drivers are updated before you start looking for problems.

There was one patch that pretty much destroyed the game's performance, but they hotfixed it in about a week because it was so bad. Since then it has only gotten better tbh, though not by much.
    BAD WOLF

Another thing that was causing issues for me was my system caked with dirt and dust. You might want to think about cleaning out your system. After I cleaned up my system everything started running fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maintenance of your rig is important. All that dust and dirt can also cause excessive heat and burn out your parts faster. I lost a video card that way before I learned my lesson. =)

The patch made it better, but, honestly, my frame rate still blows. I'm thinking hurl bucket next to my pc.

I think that's kind of a good thing. There are definitely a couple of minor improvements (my commando seems more solid in pvp, noticed I could download all the attachments in mail, which may have been there before, but whatever, it's a good thing). The UI customization is nice too. But the things that annoyed me are still there, almost every one of them. And I still can't drive myself to level in the game.

I used my fleet pass on Balmorra, then to get back I had to go through a door, run to my ship door, get in, fly to Balmorra, land on a satellite, run to a door, then run to another door, then fly down, then hop a speeder, then fly back to where I was before. With all the Cartel crap I'm surprised they don't make it like a Fry's and while you are running display Cartel items for impulse buys. The GTN is still godawful to use (look up the weirdly spelled item, price the item, break it into stacks, list them one at a time...), I still find little value in crew skills, the cut scenes are annoying now, my camera still zooms when I exit a warzone, I have to rebind the keys for each alt, and the endless variety of mobs is still highly impressive (is it 1 or 2 dudes with a star, or, 3 or 4 normal mobs) and, oh my, all the different abilities they have....

And load times. Jeezuz, really? If I smoked I could go outside have a smoke, come back, and, the new planet might be loaded.

I really wanted this game to work and I'm still not one of the massive haters but it still needs so much polish and it's not like it was just released. It's had 1-1/2 years to make a lot of quality of life changes and they just aren't there.

15+ Year Old Account
    The patch made it better, but, honestly, my frame rate still blows. I'm thinking hurl bucket next to my pc.

I think that's kind of a good thing. There are definitely a couple of minor improvements (my commando seems more solid in pvp, noticed I could download all the attachments in mail, which may have been there before, but whatever, it's a good thing). The UI customization is nice too. But the things that annoyed me are still there, almost every one of them. And I still can't drive myself to level in the game.

I used my fleet pass on Balmorra, then to get back I had to go through a door, run to my ship door, get in, fly to Balmorra, land on a satellite, run to a door, then run to another door, then fly down, then hop a speeder, then fly back to where I was before. With all the Cartel crap I'm surprised they don't make it like a Fry's and while you are running display Cartel items for impulse buys. The GTN is still godawful to use (look up the weirdly spelled item, price the item, break it into stacks, list them one at a time...), I still find little value in crew skills, the cut scenes are annoying now, my camera still zooms when I exit a warzone, I have to rebind the keys for each alt, and the endless variety of mobs is still highly impressive (is it 1 or 2 dudes with a star, or, 3 or 4 normal mobs) and, oh my, all the different abilities they have....

And load times. Jeezuz, really? If I smoked I could go outside have a smoke, come back, and, the new planet might be loaded.

I really wanted this game to work and I'm still not one of the massive haters but it still needs so much polish and it's not like it was just released. It's had 1-1/2 years to make a lot of quality of life changes and they just aren't there.
    honestly it sounds like you're doing nothing but nitpicking the game is it perfect no its not is it a hell of alot better then at launch yes it is
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    It's had 1-1/2 years to make a lot of quality of life changes and they just aren't there.
    Yeah...I hear a lot of what you're saying, but this conclusion is a little off. They have made many quality of life improvements, even ones that you commented on. (like travel to planets/areas and load screens) When it comes down to it there are a handful of things that simply cannot be changed with how their engine was designed.

Other things, like you not seeing the value of crew skills, is a fault of your own and not the game. Other people are making plenty of money utilizing their crew skills, or at the least being self sufficient. Don't get me wrong, the game has plenty of problems and I will be the first one to criticize it...wouldn't be the first or hundredth time for me to do that...but you're going a little beyond what is written as direct criticism and moving into giving opinions without much weight to back them up.

By all means though...if you aren't enjoying it, do not play it. I have to take my own advice on that frequently. And check out Wildstar for your upcoming SciFi MMO needs while you're at it.
    BAD WOLF

I can understand if those things don't bother you. But small annoyances that repeat over and over are fatal. it's like a rattle in the dashboard of your car that won't go away. Yeah, the car works but you spend every day thinking about driving it off a cliff and the next time you buy a car, unless you are diehard for some reason, you get a different brand.

I've never been a guy who could accept "well, it sucks, but we just live with it and it was way worse before...."

I've already cancelled my sub. I'll screw around for a couple of more days, see if I can fix the frame rate somehow, but if I can't it'll have been a short trip.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how I feel about this warm and fuzzy side of Kitty. *eyes narrow suspiciously*

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yeah...I hear a lot of what you're saying, but this conclusion is a little off. They have made many quality of life improvements, even ones that you commented on. (like travel to planets/areas and load screens) When it comes down to it there are a handful of things that simply cannot be changed with how their engine was designed.
    My conclusion is my conclusion, ergo, it's perfect.

I think, and I always thought this, that they invested way too much on the flash (voice acting / stories) and not nearly enough time on the fundamentals. But, that's the decision they made.

Other things, like you not seeing the value of crew skills, is a fault of your own and not the game. Other people are making plenty of money utilizing their crew skills, or at the least being self sufficient.
    I have no problem with making money on them. I just don't really like the approach. Honestly, they're a really minor, minor thing to me. I probably shouldn't even have mentioned them.

Don't get me wrong, the game has plenty of problems and I will be the first one to criticize it...wouldn't be the first or hundredth time for me to do that...but you're going a little beyond what is written as direct criticism and moving into giving opinions without much weight to back them up.
    Actually, I was fairly specific. Load times are running 1 to 2 minutes. The GTN is bad, I described how it was. I have to reset the camera distance every time I do, well, almost anything. I'm getting bad frame rates, and more.

I used to defend the game, especially the pvp side which I still feel was unfairly hammered at release, but honestly, even that annoys me now albeit with a better frame rate I might feel a bit differently.

Anyways, I'm out.

15+ Year Old Account
    My conclusion is my conclusion, ergo, it's perfect.

I think, and I always thought this, that they invested way too much on the flash (voice acting / stories) and not nearly enough time on the fundamentals. But, that's the decision they made.

I have no problem with making money on them. I just don't really like the approach. Honestly, they're a really minor, minor thing to me. I probably shouldn't even have mentioned them.

Actually, I was fairly specific. Load times are running 1 to 2 minutes. The GTN is bad, I described how it was. I have to reset the camera distance every time I do, well, almost anything. I'm getting bad frame rates, and more.

I used to defend the game, especially the pvp side which I still feel was unfairly hammered at release, but honestly, even that annoys me now albeit with a better frame rate I might feel a bit differently.

Anyways, I'm out.
    the gtn thing is your opinion its not a fact and honestly the frame rate issue is most likely due to your comp i dont have a super comp and i play on full graphic settings and am still getting 60 fps
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I was fairly specific. Load times are running 1 to 2 minutes
    Which has been said over and over and over and I already commented it cannot be fixed. It can be improved slightly, but it comes down to their engine and structure of the game. Redoing these things is basically redoing the entire game's code. Not going to happen. Ergo, shouldn't be used like you did as something they've had time to fix and haven't as it's not accurate.
    The GTN is bad, I described how it was.
    It's bad because it's bad isn't a reason. I agree that breaking items feels awkward, but that's not a function of the AH and a function of their inventory management. Additionally, the GTN had most major flaws corrected already. So again, not a valid thing to bring up as something they've had time to fix and haven't. WoW's AH was similarly tedious for years, relying on addons to correct the problem.

I would rather they open the game to addons in order to fix these problems as the way they have the game structured and their business focus isn't conducive to making these aspects perfect. This would be a valid criticism and one that is completely acceptable to not want to play because of. I'm in a period of ignoring the company behind the game altogether.
    I have to reset the camera distance every time I do, well, almost anything.
    Never heard of this problem, never experienced it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this warm and fuzzy side of Kitty. *eyes narrow suspiciously*
    The game is far from perfect. Just trying to move on from lashing out at all wrong things with games and just play what is fun. Used to think it was ignorance, maybe still is, but ignorance is bliss.
    BAD WOLF

TOR released an expansion? That's kind of funny lol. That game was such a bust, I liked it for like a week and then it just sucked from then on out

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    the gtn thing is your opinion its not a fact and honestly the frame rate issue is most likely due to your comp i dont have a super comp and i play on full graphic settings and am still getting 60 fps
    The game still has issues with certain setups that have been around since launch. So while performance has dramatically improved overall, there are still hickups here and there with various rigs.