Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Frozen Vegetables VS Canned Vegetables

Ive always been under the impression that frozen vegetables are better for you than canned ones, and frozen ones are definitely taste better and seem fresher. So why do people buy canned vegetables? Where I live canned vegetable arent really any cheaper than frozen ones. Maybe 3 or 4 cents cheaper but thats nothing. I cant see any benefit to buying canned vegetables unless you dont have a freezer or are preparing for nuclear war in a bunker

10+ Year Old Account
    i always thought frozen was better, think it depends on how fast they were frozen after picking though.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    If those are the only options, then I would go frozen. Less preservatives than their canned counterparts. There are some people that don't like the taste of defrosted food, and there is a slight noticeable difference. I really dislike bread that has been in the freezer.

But since those aren't my only options, I choose neither and go with fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ive always been under the impression that frozen vegetables are better for you than canned ones, and frozen ones are definitely taste better and seem fresher. So why do people buy canned vegetables? Where I live canned vegetable arent really any cheaper than frozen ones. Maybe 3 or 4 cents cheaper but thats nothing. I cant see any benefit to buying canned vegetables unless you dont have a freezer or are preparing for nuclear war in a bunker
    There are a few reasons to buy canned:

You have much more cabinet space then freezer.
    Freezing vegetables causes the cells to break down which results in "floppy" and "watery" veggies with a less desirable texture.
    Cooking frozen vegetables adds water to the dish.
    The shelf life of canned goods is infinitely more then frozen.
    There is little nutritional difference. It's as negligible as the price.
    The process of canning actually makes some ingredients easier to work with.

As a cook in a professional kitchen we use no frozen veggies. We do use canned goods, especially for sauces.
    Ultimately, use fresh when possible though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canned is typically cheaper and has a longer shelf life, that's why people buy canned

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's convenience mostly. If it was something I know I use but might sit a while, canned may be easier since it wouldn't be taking up space in the freezer and wouldn't risk freezer burn if it ended up sitting too long. Hate having to throw out stuff because being frozen too long just made it taste bad. :\ Frozen may be better, but really I don't think most canned things are that far behind.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    i always thought frozen was better, think it depends on how fast they were frozen after picking though.
    The biggest reason why frozen is usually superior to canned is the lack of added preservatives. Canned vegetables also tend to have tons of sodium, and frozen do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canned ones last a lot longer and are generally cheaper in a lot of places.

Sometimes it's a taste thing. I hate frozen spinach, I think I hate frozen greens, period. Some things just don't hold up well when your freeze them, same going canned.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Canned ones last a lot longer and are generally cheaper in a lot of places.

Sometimes it's a taste thing. I hate frozen spinach, I think I hate frozen greens, period. Some things just don't hold up well when your freeze them, same going canned.
    Forgot about this, frozen greens are just mush. The breakdown in most veggies can be bad but greens go to goo. If you freeze a leaf you can see it darken. This is the punctured cells breaking down. It has a different effect from cooking (which happens in the canning process).

For myself, when dealing with the convenience of canned and frozen goods I make my choice on an individual basis for what I am buying. Spinach, cans. Carrots, frozen. ect...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    If those are the only options, then I would go frozen. Less preservatives than their canned counterparts. There are some people that don't like the taste of defrosted food, and there is a slight noticeable difference. I really dislike bread that has been in the freezer.

But since those aren't my only options, I choose neither and go with fresh.
    The only reason I dont buy fresh is I dont know how to clean them properly. Like I cant scrub a head of broccoli or cauliflower, and when I tried scrubbing mushrooms they still look dirty. Peas are a pain to pick out of the pods so frozen is easier. Thats why I buy frozen. Now I do buy fresh carrots and potatoes because those are easy to peel and dont require special effort to clean properly.

Also frozen vegetables are often available in those steamer bags you can microwave so I dont have to get out a big pot and a steamer basket to cook them properly.

Deleted
    Both are preferable to going out for burgers, tinned are worse than frozen, both are inferior to fresh but all of these options are better than fast food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    There are a few reasons to buy canned:

Freezing vegetables causes the cells to break down which results in "floppy" and "watery" veggies with a less desirable texture.
    Canned vegetables are even more floppy and soggy from sitting in water for however long theyve been on the shelf

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Both are preferable to going out for burgers, tinned are worse than frozen, both are inferior to fresh but all of these options are better than fast food.
    Now what if I can buy a Big Mac in a can?! Or frozen?!

Ugh, I think I made myself sick...

The only reason I dont buy fresh is I dont know how to clean them properly. Like I cant scrub a head of broccoli or cauliflower, and when I tried scrubbing mushrooms they still look dirty. Peas are a pain to pick out of the pods so frozen is easier. Thats why I buy frozen. Now I do buy fresh carrots and potatoes because those are easy to peel and dont require special effort to clean properly.

Also frozen vegetables are often available in those steamer bags you can microwave so I dont have to get out a big pot and a steamer basket to cook them properly.
    You don't need to scrub broccoli or cauliflower. Those are honestly the easiest to clean veggies. Cut off florets and rinse (soak if you will not cook them). Mushrooms can be tricky depending on the shroom. For most cut off the end and rinse quickly (do not soak, they will absorb water). Peas I agree with you totally. Although nothing beats them fresh they are such a pain to de-pod.

Don't microwave veggies if possible. The breakdown of cells is worse then freezing. Combining freezing and microwaving your food will result in the most lifeless and flavorless veggies you can make. It makes me a sad cook.

10+ Year Old Account

Well they DO make a cheeseburger in a can

As well as a whole chicken in a can

Last edited by Orlong; 2013-07-24 at 12:53 AM.

Canned vegetables are even more floppy and soggy from sitting in water for however long theyve been on the shelf
    The water content doesn't change on how old they are. Essentially canning something stops all cooking and mixing processes by getting rid of air. You can drain these veggies and the texture will be more "true" then that of frozen vegetables.

Deleted

cheese burger in a can.....

I buy fresh. I don't really see the appeal of frozen or canned goods, unless you live somewhere that you have to travel very far out of your way to buy groceries.

10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh...

How do some people survive when they make the choice to eat things like that? lol