Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Timeless Isle=Side Content done right?

The title might seem a tad bit off but, let me elaborate before you read too much into it.

With the Isle of Thunder, the entire issue people ran into were two things:
    1. Dailies (I have no personal problem with them)
    2. Once all phases were unlocked, people got rather bored of the island and it basically became unpopulated

With Domination Hold/The Alliance equivalent, players ran into a number of issues as well:
    1. Almost forced PVP (I never ran into this issue)
    2. Dailies, again
    3. Gating content through Dailies

Timeless Isle includes NO DAILIES. It has a number of real time events, rare spawns, rare events, secrets, etc etc.

You experience the island at your own pace; you find what you want to find or find things randomly.

The entire point of the isle is to in fact just explore, find cool things, come across story tidbits, etc.

It leaves the island as entirely optional (aside from of course those pursuing the Legendary Cloak) but also gives the players something more fun and not "forced" to do.

As for what you've seen (or even experienced on the island), what do you think of it? Is this the right approach for added landmass content?

My Opinion: I think it's a fantastic alternate to daily content to much of the community complained about while still adding much to do in the world.

Though I LOVED Domination Hold, I think the approach with the Isle is both smart and effective. If the Isle's approach is successful too we may be seeing more rare events and things of this nature in the next expansion.

Anywho, discuss! Love to hear your thoughts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's good they add different styled contents.
    I mean with this, now blizzard can see where people had the most joy in.
    Was it the Timeless Isle, or at the Isle of Thunder or maybe Krassang Wild back in 5.1 or did people enjoy Isle of Giants killing world boss and farm those nasty bones.

It's only extra content they add for us, I don't mind if it's different then usual, if its fun its fun if its not then blizzard has learned for the next time =)

Blizzard has done a fine job whole MoP, i don't mind a little boring content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played on the Isle yet, but to me it sounds awesome. I love exploring the world and finding stuff, and from what I see there are a lot of stuff to find. I will be looking forward to spending hours getting all the knick-kancks!

ugh, there is going to be HUNDREDS of 90s on that island

I'm excited for this. I'm glad they're continuing that whoever tags a rare gets a chance at loot. and lots of stuff to explore

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the reasons why I love the island so far is because almost everything is dangerous. What do I mean by this? Well, by this I mean, that you actually have to watch what you pull how many you pull and where you pull. From the quick testing that ive done so far (dont want to spoil much from testing), it just feels right. It feels dangerous and most importantly, time consuming- thats good. When you go there and want to spend the whole evening doing shit you can, not just 15mins of dailies then leave. Or if you want to go there and find events and do all kind of shit for like an hour you can too.

But yeah like I said previously, the thing that I like most is the challenge so far. The place is dangerous and pulling more then 1 or 2 mobs can be lethal.

Some of the Rares so far (some of them pretty hard)

Last edited by Shampro; 2013-07-25 at 12:12 AM.

Deleted
    i like it so far. i would of liked maybe a few dailies also as i don't mind them personally as they give me something to do.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I'm looking forward to anything at this point that isn't new dailies. There were bits and pieces of the Isle of Thunder I liked, but this sounds like it's more my speed.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget the Rare elite known as Evermaw. The isle brings more content to the expansion. More content than we were ever able to get with the Isle of Thunder and Krasarang.

There will always be opinions on to what is "right" or not.
    The issue with dailies was mostly the gating of most gear behind the reputations.
    Daily quests themselves are not that bad, and offer a useful alternative to say the group-friendly grind of the barrens weekly.
    That is one which offers time flexibility, as in not requiring a commitment every day but was really unfriendly towards solo play which if playing during unsociable hours could happen frequently.
    At least dailies were solo friendly.

Timeless Isle includes NO DAILIES. It has a number of real time events, rare spawns, rare events, secrets, etc etc.
    stopped reading here, already got the best part of my heart. already got 2k + lesser charms so no dailys = good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    What kind of real time events? Can you write something more because I'm not playing on the PTR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    stopped reading here, already got the best part of my heart. already got 2k + lesser charms so no dailys = good!
    Are you kidding me? I'd do anything (apart from dailies) every week to get my 50 for my Mogu Runes. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

Best thing about Dom Offensive/Lion's Landing was the one-off quest chain you unlocked through rep. The dailies weren't the worst in the world though they were awkward, and didn't all work properly. I thought IoT was probably the best in that regard, the dailies are pretty well thought out and the unlocking was cool, all the optional side stuff was great. Only problem - you maxed out rep long before the island finished unlocking and that invalidated a lot of it.

I like the concept of daily-less content but it didn't work so great in the Barrens event IMO. A weekly quest doesn't really work as "at your own pace" since it just encourages you to grind your face off on the first day. Also the amount of things you could do were scarce. Hopefully if they expand the concept it could work better.

P.S. My biggest concern is actually how I'm going to find bag space for more vanity items... for god's sake make vanity items BoA at least... QQ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    Are you kidding me? I'd do anything (apart from dailies) every week to get my 50 for my Mogu Runes. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo boring.
    Could grind mobs for them as well or... like... just ignore them. All they get you is another roll on gear you will replace with VP gear in a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I loved every little bit of the Timeless Island. I will completely agree with the tittle, Blizzard has done this one right. No one forces you to do anything, there are no daylies, no forced PvP, no gated content, it's just a place for fun. While the mobs on the island may be pretty hard to kill, they are still fun. Also, the events around the island are pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    What kind of real time events? Can you write something more because I'm not playing on the PTR
    It's on wowhead but not on mmo-champion for some reason.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=217063/5...wns-and-events

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like fun. I've enjoyed the rare items and mobs in Pandaria. Gonna be a mess on PvP servers with the virtual realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    With Domination Hold/The Alliance equivalent
    Way to do your research there buddy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Timeless Isle does a lot of things right, but it fails spectacularly when it comes to working as a gear catch up.

The mobs on the Isle are pretty hard, in that they usually have a specific ability that makes them dangerous AND high health. That's fine if the island is only meant for high ilevel chars but it contradicts itsself by dropping ilevel 496 gear, which is only useful to characters playing catch up.

Characters playing catch up however will need to kill many, many of these high health mobs that sometimes have pretty dangerous mechanics to get the gear to drop OR the coins to buy a token. (and that's not even counting the fact the process is largely RNG, in that you can't target specific slots)

Personally, I prefer the dailies + rep requirement way of getting gear to catch up above the grind-your-face-off-on-mobs way that The Barrens and Timeless Isle give you.

Honestly, I think the massive buffs to drop rates in LFR will be enough of a catchup mechanism as is. I took two alts through the 5.0 LFR raids from scratch after they got their drop rate buff, and I was through to ToT in two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

needs more lore
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552