Direhorn Battle Pets

Can someone tell me how I can consistently hard-counter them? I keep running into them (level 25) over and over, and this is the last straw. I can kill them if I get lucky, but those overpowered pieces of shit just make me angry. I've tried running mechanicals, I get steamrolled by RNG. Tried running moths, too fragile, even with the type resist. Tried Crow, and had some limited success, and it certainly wasn't consistent. I'm not a bad player by any means, I just don't know how you're supposed to consistently counter getting slowed by 25% across the whole team, then 1 round cooldown on horn attack with 50% chance to stun. I mean, what was Blizz even thinking? Or were they? And I know, I could run Arcane Winds, but really there are no decent pets with it save for Kirin Tor Familiar, and that pet is a bitch to get.

Deleted
    wait for 5.4 and no one will use them anymore and you get the next FFF to cry about

How am I crying? I'm pointing out that they're overpowered (cuz they are) and asking for help in countering them, in case by some miracle they're not and I'm just bad.

A pet with some avoidance ability and enough speed to ensure you go first can prevent you getting slowed - if it can't slow you it can't stun you.

A pet that can stun is also an advantage. Alot of Direhorn users will just quit if you disrupt their "strategy".

Quote Originally Posted by dcuffel View Post
    Can someone tell me how I can consistently hard-counter them? I keep running into them (level 25) over and over, and this is the last straw. I can kill them if I get lucky, but those overpowered pieces of shit just make me angry. I've tried running mechanicals, I get steamrolled by RNG. Tried running moths, too fragile, even with the type resist. Tried Crow, and had some limited success, and it certainly wasn't consistent. I'm not a bad player by any means, I just don't know how you're supposed to consistently counter getting slowed by 25% across the whole team, then 1 round cooldown on horn attack with 50% chance to stun. I mean, what was Blizz even thinking? Or were they? And I know, I could run Arcane Winds, but really there are no decent pets with it save for Kirin Tor Familiar, and that pet is a bitch to get.
    What bout the nexus whelpling?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Nexus Whelpling are a good counter, having arcane winds and an ability buffed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    A pet with some avoidance ability and enough speed to ensure you go first can prevent you getting slowed - if it can't slow you it can't stun you.
    That's what I'm saying, except the Kirin Tor Familiar, none are really fast enough.

Deleted
    I use a sumprush rodent to counter the direhorns and the enchanted broom/bone spider.

I cast stench and watch them miss all their OP attacks (its 25% miss chance). Mudslide is nice because counters all the annoying pet swapping attacks, and also does a good amount of damage, and I use gnaw while mudslide is on cd.

I use Lil' XT and Mini Thor plus something Flying. There's a guy on my server consistently queueing up with the three bastards. He has reached a point where he just goes AFK when he meets me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    I use a sumprush rodent to counter the direhorns and the enchanted broom/bone spider.

I cast stench and watch them miss all their OP attacks (its 25% miss chance). Mudslide is nice because counters all the annoying pet swapping attacks, and also does a good amount of damage, and I use gnaw while mudslide is on cd.
    Sumprush rodent? That's from 5.1 krasarang rep right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I use Lil' XT and Mini Thor plus something Flying. There's a guy on my server consistently queueing up with the three bastards. He has reached a point where he just goes AFK when he meets me.
    I can do XT, don't have Thor, but how does your XT not get eaten by the direhorns?

Deleted
    Sumprush rodent? That's from 5.1 krasarang rep right?
    Yeah the rodent is from 5.1 rep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anubisath Idol to counter them and wear them down... Sandstorm and the shield..
    Darkmoon Zeppelin, Son of Animus. Both can set out a decoy to block 2 attacks. By the time the enemy can do significant damage, he's almost dead.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Thanks for the suggestions guys, guess it's time to get farming those pets. Except for Animus, like I'm ever gonna be lucky enough to get that.

You need to take them out quick. I run Ghostly Skull #1(Shadow Slash / Spectral Strike / Unholy Ascension), Ghostly Skull #2 (Shadow Slash / Ghostly Bite / Unholy Ascension) and Gilnean Raven (Alpha Strike / Darkness / Nocturnal Strike). Basically I go: Darkness > Nocturnal > switch to Ghostly Skull #1 > Spectral Strike and they normally die from that combo.

I can do XT, don't have Thor, but how does your XT not get eaten by the direhorns?
    I use my Flying first to soak up that thing that can stun and deal a little damage (I tend to use one that has Cyclone, just to piss him off), and then I switch in the XT and use Tantrum and just take what he throws at me. It deals a ton of damage to all three pets combined. If everything goes well and he doesn't get any unlucky crits on you, you'll be able to use the 2-round heal to stay in the action for quite a bit longer.

Not sure what you could use instead of the Thor. I'm using him due both to the fact he does extra damage to Beasts, but also because he's so extremely tanky. With the Failsafe he effectively has around 2200 health. Plus Minefield absolutely devastates Beasts that enter the battle. If it crits, you'll oneshot the pet.

One other thought I've been toying with is using a Serpent Hatchling instead of a Flying to accompany my Thor and XT. Lightning Storm in conjunction with Mechanical pets, especially ones that has an ability like Tantrum deals TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE DAMAGE to Beasts. You'll take some extra damage in return, granted, but it's worth trying out at least.

One other thought I've been toying with is using a Serpent Hatchling instead of a Flying to accompany my Thor and XT. Lightning Storm in conjunction with Mechanical pets, especially ones that has an ability like Tantrum deals TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE DAMAGE to Beasts. You'll take some extra damage in return, granted, but it's worth trying out at least.
    if you can get lightning storm up, and use the heartbroken ability +50% dmg taken, +100% dmg dealt for 2 rounds...then trantum....that fucks up all 3 pets, if any are beasts they probably have enough hp to get 1 turn in...

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    if you can get lightning storm up, and use the heartbroken ability +50% dmg taken, +100% dmg dealt for 2 rounds...then trantum....that fucks up all 3 pets, if any are beasts they probably have enough hp to get 1 turn in...
    I met two people who used Lightning Storm against me yesterday. Big mistake.

I met two people who used Lightning Storm against me yesterday. Big mistake.
    This, I've never encountered a situation where my opponent using Lightning Storm was good for them, always makes me fuck them up even harder. Pretty hilarious when you get a guy that does it with your Clockwork Gnome turrets up.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

You are not whining/crying Dcuffel, these direhorn bastards are indeed overpowered to ridiculous levels atm.
    I am not using them as a principle, and I find it difficult encountering them with my teams.
    I have a roughly 35% success ratio against teams with 1 direhorn pet, and ~5% against teams with 2...

You know there's indeed a problem when people choose to stack three of them.