Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is the lack of Sylvanas Lazy?

There were some high tensions in Cataclysm between everyone's favorite Banshee Queen and Hellscream. However, his recent shift in what he deems 'honorable' might have grown to include the Valkyrie and plagues.

I kept waiting and waiting for her to be tossed in the mix and see which way she sides. Honestly I don't think the writers knew what to do with her. With all that at's stake and Sylvanas' personality I doubt she would just sit it out. I thought we would here from her around the time the escalation with the Blood Elves occurred.

So do you think that her absence is just lazy writing? It's been my major lore qualm this expansion.

Horde lazy writing isn't real. Sylvanas is becoming a demi lich queen. Shes one of the most developed characters. Dont worry she's just lurking and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

So wait, lazy writing means Blizzard isn't expanding on characters you are interested in? Need I remind you of Lor'themar?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    There were some high tensions in Cataclysm between everyone's favorite Banshee Queen and Hellscream. However, his recent shift in what he deems 'honorable' might have grown to include the Valkyrie and plagues.

I kept waiting and waiting for her to be tossed in the mix and see which way she sides. Honestly I don't think the writers knew what to do with her. With all that at's stake and Sylvanas' personality I doubt she would just sit it out. I thought we would here from her around the time the escalation with the Blood Elves occurred.

So do you think that her absence is just lazy writing? It's been my major lore qualm this expansion.
    Sylvanas is never lazy! She is just NOT inntresting about landing to MoP island or about MoP. So we can just wait, when she do actions again!...

Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    So wait, lazy writing means Blizzard isn't expanding on characters you are interested in? Need I remind you of Lor'themar?

^ That.

The worgen and draenei fans are just about ready to strangle you for saying Sylvanas and the forsaken don't get enough exposure, I bet.

Not lazy writing. They just have other characters to write about. I think she shows up in 5.4

15+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas has had more development over WoW than the Alliance as a whole has this expansion.
    Last edited by Snes; 2013-07-26 at 10:15 PM.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    This was great. The development of all the other characters went very well.

I just felt that her total absence was an elephant in the room. I haven't seen anything about her showing up in 5.4 but at this point it almost feels like they need an explanation why it took her that long. The undead are a major faction of the Horde. During a civil war when you hear nothing about them seems odd. It feels like they need a 'MEANWHILE IN THE EASTERN KINGDOMS!' narration.

If I was a Horde leader, a quiet Sylvanis would make me nervous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Sylvanas has had more development than the Alliance as a whole this expansion.
    Where has she been? I haven't seen or heard of her once. Granted I'm doing all Horde stuff so I don't know if she popped up during Alliance questing.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not lazy writing.
    Sylvanas just doesn't need to be a character in every event on Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    ^ That.

The worgen and draenei fans are just about ready to strangle you for saying Sylvanas and the forsaken don't get enough exposure, I bet.
    Agreed with that. Hell, at least the Draenei had an expansion. I think the worgan got about an hour and a half of questing worth of story and that's it. I'm not saying the undead haven't had their due in the past, it's just feels like we're ignoring they exist because it would complicate the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Sylvanas has had more development than the Alliance as a whole this expansion.
    This. She was super developed in Cata. Other Alliance leaders combined got less screentime.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I was a Horde leader, a quiet Sylvanis would make me nervous.
    Sometimes less is more. The part of your post I quoted is telling. If you're wondering where she is and what might be going on with her, I'd say that's decent story-telling. It has nothing to do with work ethic. It would make me happier if people stopped throwing around the word 'lazy' for everything they don't care for. Whatever you think of this expansion, lazy it isn't.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I just felt that her total absence was an elephant in the room. I haven't seen anything about her showing up in 5.4 but at this point it almost feels like they need an explanation why it took her that long. The undead are a major faction of the Horde. During a civil war when you hear nothing about them seems odd. It feels like they need a 'MEANWHILE IN THE EASTERN KINGDOMS!' narration.
    Really? Her total absence is an elephant in the room? You know how often I saw Crowley after the worgen quest? Once. Just... once. To top it off he was just a stand in.

Look we get it, you have a crush on Sylvanas. We get it. You got to come to terms though that she does not need to be in everything.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It feels disjointed, if anything. She has a fairly developed story on her own but her relationship (or lack thereof) with Garrosh even since Silverpine Forest never really played out in to anything. If Garrosh was pissed at her then, I find myself scratching my head as to why it just ends there and we go to kill Garrosh without any aid from the Forsaken or her personally. He pretty much threatened her 'life' when he wasn't twisted by the Sha and would likely now see her abilities, courtesy of the Val'kyr, as a potential weapon used against him or even have for himself for his True Horde.

What could have turned in to a terrific event which builds up alongside the Troll revolution was simply used as a way to call Sylvanas a bitch.

Unless they addressed this in a book, then ignore this.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I get the feeling people like to tag Blizzard as lazy at anything they do or don't do.

They can't give every character major storylines all the time, think of expansions/patches as chapters, we get a bit of indepth story going on about certain characters before moving onto others!

10+ Year Old Account
    Worgen got their start zone and some quests in Duskwood.. after which they appear very sporadically around the world and that's it.
    Draenei? Never rolled one, so I cannot even begin to comment on them and refuse to try.

Sylvanas was, for what I recall, last seen dumping plague into Gilneas and then in Silverpine Forest (at Sepulcher?) where mouthy Garrosh called her a bitch and put her under watchful guard. Honestly speaking, I think she shows up during the Siege of Orgrimmar. I envision her popping in, right after Vol'jin shoots his promised arrow through Garrosh's black heart.. and right before Garrosh dies, Sylvanas tells him that he will be raised by the Val'kyr. After all, she could use a minion to replace Varimathras, and the sheer irony would be awesomesauce.

Well, I can dream anyway.. but I swear if Vol'jin isn't the one to fire an arrow through Garrosh's black heart and deliver on his promise.. I'm going to be pissed.
    #BringMeThatCinematicAndTakeMyMoney

#FlightIsImportant

In 5.4 we have an audio clip of Lor'thermar telling Sylvanas to stay away from the corpses or he'll deal with her himself right there and then.

Think while Garrosh sent to Horde to Pandaria, Lor'thermars campaign at the Throne of Thunder, Vol'jin pre-occupied with his coup, Baine doing what ever Baine does, Sylvanas has been home plotting i believe.

When we see Sylvanas in the Cataclsym and she introduces the Valkier to Garrosh and he tells her not to raise any more undead, upon his exit she has them continue the mass ressurections.

Her short story points to a more emboldened Banshee Queen. I think blizzard has big plans for her. I doubt we have seen the last of everyones favorite emo archer. But who, and what, will she turn her fury on next O.o?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus9001 View Post
    Worgen got their start zone and some quests in Duskwood.. after which they appear very sporadically around the world and that's it.
    Draenei? Never rolled one, so I cannot even begin to comment on them and refuse to try.

Sylvanas was, for what I recall, last seen dumping plague into Gilneas and then in Silverpine Forest (at Sepulcher?) where mouthy Garrosh called her a bitch and put her under watchful guard. Honestly speaking, I think she shows up during the Siege of Orgrimmar. I envision her popping in, right after Vol'jin shoots his promised arrow through Garrosh's black heart.. and right before Garrosh dies, Sylvanas tells him that he will be raised by the Val'kyr. After all, she could use a minion to replace Varimathras, and the sheer irony would be awesomesauce.

Well, I can dream anyway.. but I swear if Vol'jin isn't the one to fire an arrow through Garrosh's black heart and deliver on his promise.. I'm going to be pissed.
    #BringMeThatCinematicAndTakeMyMoney
    Did i mention id LOVE TO SEE GAROSH RAISED AS THE BANSHEE QUEENS MINION!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    Did i mention id LOVE TO SEE GAROSH RAISED AS THE BANSHEE QUEENS MINION!
    I somehow doubt I am the first to call it, but if I were.. and it happened..
    (insert Forsaken laugh sound here)

#FlightIsImportant

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know what they say: That does not die that can eternal... have a bunch of Val'kyr resurrect her all the damned time. In all likelihood, she's waiting and biding her time. I'm not even mad about her not being around for the fall of Arthas anymore since we got a really neat story out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

It's not lazy, it builds up suspense. We know she'll be there, and we're all excited to see what she's going to do.