Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I really hate when they do a 'points' system like this. It just needlessly complicates things.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    I concur, don't worry I think it was too little too soon in regards to CRZ. They were so excited by it, they just put it in hoping it would make players happy before they get the full tech of VR inplemented. Also, CRZ is what, nearly a year old now? It is highly likely it was nothing more than a stop-gap until the full-fledged VR can come in. Personally, it never bothered me, and doubt it ever will

Either way though, bit of a sideline of the original topic I am just waiting to see how this all plays out, Blizzard are anything but stupid, you don't get to have the worlds biggest MMO for 8 years by being stupid.
    Personally I think they should've just stuck with cross-realm grouping until they had VR ready, but I don't think they expected the results, despite having 8 years of experience with the community

And, while they do have 8 years of experience being the worlds biggest MMO, they're in a strange position where they're trying to stick to their roots in some regards, while trying to keep with the times in other regards. Whether they can pull it off, or whether it works the way they expect, only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Well, the problem with CRZ is that every single system of WoW (with a few exceptions, like named quest mobs and now the rares on IoT) conflict with the goals of CRZ. Which, you're right, CRZ isn't at fault there, it's the rest of the systems.

There's also an issue of lack of personal responsibility in CRZ, which already exists in LFx - who cares if you troll someone, chances are you'll never see them again. Which leads to certain behavior that pisses off other players. Sure, that's a community issue, but when certain groups of the community aren't used to experiencing such behavior (such as smaller servers merging with larger servers where that behavior thrives), it strikes a chord.

And ultimately, CRZ doesn't fix the problems that plague smaller servers - not enough players to do things with (or to be more restrictive in who you take to raids, etc). VR will (theoretically) solve that problem, though only time will tell.
    As I said: impatient and never looking at the larger picture.

CRZ is a master piece in technical achievement. You know it , I know it and what happens ? People stumble over peanuts.

whaaam, I can not find my ore, Cry cry cry.

The same happened to seamless phasing, years of endless moaning.

But anno 2013 WoW has now seamless farming in the open world tx to this technique, WoW has pet battles, WoW has seamless cross server game play etc... Thanks.

I could go on: the cross realm BG's, the new LFG tool.

All whining for months, but when a NEW MMORPG came out that didn't have cross server dungeons, the world was not huge enough to complain in that world...

Biased? Call me a realist. I know a technique when I see it and I know a short cut when I read about it.

For those looking to make coins by playing WoW, hopefully they will make these coins transferable within WoW so that you can essentially trade with other players for them the same way you would trade other players for game time codes. Perhaps there will eventually be options to list items on the AH for these coins.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Well since Blizzard just proved a couple days ago again how freaking retarded they can be just go ahead with all that crap.

Heck, if you can earn it in game, cross game, they will likely put a soft-cap on it just like valor points in wow. Can only earn 100 coins on your account a week, need 1500 to buy a pet (100 coins is $1 or something like that); special conditions or milestones should not affect this cap. It should not be able to be bought, and just be a secondary currency, being something like a bonus. It should be 'in addition to' the blizzard balance, rather than replacing it.

If you cannot earn them in game, well why implement a new currency system when the blizzard balance accomplishes the same exact thing? Because coins sound cooler?

Edit: Math

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Ramin...130626/194933/

Research has shown that putting even one intermediate currency between the consumer and real money, such as a “game gem” (premium currency), makes the consumer much less adept at assessing the value of the transaction.
    There you go, here is the reason for the "awesome Blizzard Battle Coin".
    There are no "security problems" when using credit that relates 1:1 to the customers real currency (wtf would make you think that in the first place?!). The only "problem" is that people are less likely to buy something for 3$ than for 750 Battle Coins even if both actually mean the same cost.
    Same reason why they put the shop directly into the game, the convenience of not having to leave the game is negligible, the point is to get people to spend their credit impulsively, having to alt-tab into a browser 1.) gives them time to realize what a freaking stupid thing they're about to do 2.) disconnects the purchase from the game, but the game->fun so with ingame shop purchases are associated with the game, therefore with fun, thus people enjoy spending extra $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Ramin...130626/194933/

There you go, here is the reason for the "awesome Blizzard Battle Coin".
    There are no "security problems" when using credit that relates 1:1 to the customers real currency (wtf would make you think that in the first place?!). The only "problem" is that people are less likely to buy something for 3$ than for 750 Battle Coins even if both actually mean the same cost.
    Same reason why they put the shop directly into the game, the convenience of not having to leave the game is negligible, the point is to get people to spend their credit impulsively, having to alt-tab into a browser 1.) gives them time to realize what a freaking stupid thing they're about to do 2.) disconnects the purchase from the game, but the game->fun so with ingame shop purchases are associated with the game, therefore with fun, thus people enjoy spending extra $$$.
    ok it explains ... NOT why Diablo 3 has real currency in game : ) Explain

---

But the coins system explains why a F2P game like Hearthstone will have access to the Blizzard shop by coins.

Coins in this case is simply more conveniant to be used as a common currency between different Blizzard games to access the items.

-----Something the article does not mention: same currency to access several different games and even complete different revenue models.

So coins in this situation (spread over several different Blizzard games and revenue models) is even logical. Perhaps even a necessity.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-25 at 05:01 PM.

so how are the values looking? 1 coin per win and a pet costs about 150 coins?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    so how are the values looking? 1 coin per win and a pet costs about 150 coins?
    We will just have to wait until both the new Blizzard shop and HS are launched.

Beta HS can start any day now and since it is a rather small well defined game, I expect its launch around BlizzCon.

Deleted
    It seems WOW is getting F2P, dunno if it's a good thing or not

So why is no person here wondering why a Subscription based game like WOW is planning to add F2P like currency?

Is it fair to subscribers to have to pay EXTRA into their game account to load some coins when they are already paying a sub?

Is that likely to get new players to WOW when those players have to:

a)buy the box
    b)buy the expansions
    c)pay the sub
    d)load account with extra currency
    e)buy stuff in ingame microtransaction shop?

Would any new players be willing to do that when they can do just d) and e) these days and get good MMO experience in many of the F2P or b2P titles that run without sub?

I don't think new players will even be looking at WOW considering that the game now has pretty low quality leveling experience at this point compared to the latest games. Blizzard can not have both F2P and Sub models running and acting like thats sort of convenience for the players. PPL will still have to tab out to load their accounts with these currencies. There is NO talk yet if those currencies can be earned ingame or if part of the sub fee automaticly goes into your coin account.

What is NOT acceptable is if Blizzard is going to add ingame shop and charge subs if players that are paying that sub have ZERO ways of getting the items in the shop without paying extra. Personally I think Microtransaction in a sub based game (like seems to be the plan) will only lead to WOW loosing subs faster than ever before. And there wont be new players coming to fill the void so Blizzard will be relying on fewer and fewer players to use the ingame shop to keep the game running. Not great plan for the long term but shows that Blizzard are NOT thinking long term with WOW anymore.
    Last edited by Duster505; 2013-07-25 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

---

But the coins system explains why a F2P game like Hearthstone will have access to the Blizzard shop by coins.

Coins in this case is simply more conveniant to be used as a common currency between different Blizzard games to access the items.

-----Something the article does not mention: same currency to access several different games and even complete different revenue models.

So coins in this situation (spread over several different Blizzard games and revenue models) is even logical. Perhaps even a necessity.
    The real money auction house was a big selling point for D3, at the time, and no doubt the fact we are seeing a completely different system introduced into WOW suggests that they do not believe that it would be as successful as an alternative currency. They, also, had trouble gaining authorisation to launch D3 with the RMAH in Korea where it was classed as gambling there is no way they would risk WOW falling foul of gambling legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    D3 doesn't have a cash shop, it has a real money auction house that allows to trade items with other players. Blizzard doesn't sell any items on the RMAH, players do. Hence why they use the same value currency in D3 (Blizzard Balance = 1 Euro/USD/GBP etc).

WoW cash shop only has items Blizzard sells, so it's a completely other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's quite a lot of assuming going on here, not all of it by any means warranted.

I agree that the Blizzard store will be for all of Blizzard's IP's including Hearthstone and the rest.

I don't necessarily agree that Blizzard coins will be earnable in game or coming to US/Europe any time soon. I simply don't know about that and they haven't really said anything about the specifics of either what will be available in the US/Europe and how it will be obtained. Judging from other F2P titles, some sort of currency makes sense but whether or not you'll be able to earn them by doing things in-game is a pretty giant leap of faith unless they've said something in the last 48 hours that I've missed. Since there are no quotes in the OP to that effect I'm going to guess there aren't. It may happen, it may not. All of the new client strings may be there for testing purposes or perhaps it's simply easier to include them for all versions of the client. It's clear they will be likely in use for KR/CN but to just assume that everything will be this way everywhere really soon is too much.

I think Blizzard will definitely be expanding the free portion of the game but whether or not they go full F2P or go F2P minus current expansion or go F2P/1-85 or some other schema remains to be seen.

Too many assumptions and people talking about stuff as if it's all settled.

EDIT: Someone needs to provide an actual link with someone from Blizzard talking specifics before I'm willing to think otherwise at this point. It seems to me there's an enormous amount of speculation in this thread being presented as settled fact.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-07-25 at 05:49 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gattsu125 View Post
    Heck, if you can earn it in game, cross game, they will likely put a soft-cap on it just like valor points in wow. Can only earn 100 coins on your account a week, need 1500 to buy a pet (100 coins is $1 or something like that); special conditions or milestones should not affect this cap. It should not be able to be bought, and just be a secondary currency, being something like a bonus. It should be 'in addition to' the blizzard balance, rather than replacing it.

If you cannot earn them in game, well why implement a new currency system when the blizzard balance accomplishes the same exact thing? Because coins sound cooler?

Edit: Math
    Because coins provide a layer of abstraction from the product to it's price in the mind of the consumer. The only surprising thing about this is that it's took Blizzard so long to have their own store currency; I can't think of any Western MMO publisher at this moment who doesn't have their own currency; GW2 uses gems, Funcom uses the imaginatively titled Funcom Points, and so on and so forth. While they all have differing implementations they fundamentally serve the same purpose (coupled with an in game item store)- to facilitate quick impulse purchases.

Those very coins, or alternative currency, is one of primary features of microtransaction-based f2p games.

Is it the sign that WoW will go f2p? Hopefully, otherwise payment system starts looking very ugly. Just see:
    1. You need to buy game.
    2. You need to buy expansions.
    3. You need to buy game time.
    4. You need to pay for any character movement services.
    5. Cash-shop attached with flashiest (and most expensive in comparison to other game shops) game items.
    6. Now alternative currency.
    Elements 1-3 is p2p part. Element 4 is mixed part. Elements 5 and 6 is f2p part. It's like Acti-Blizzard tries to take everything from all models and combine it in one.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Because coins provide a layer of abstraction from the product to it's price in the mind of the consumer. The only surprising thing about this is that it's took Blizzard so long to have their own store currency; I can't think of any Western MMO publisher at this moment who doesn't have their own currency; GW2 uses gems, Funcom uses the imaginatively titled Funcom Points, and so on and so forth. While they all have differing implementations they fundamentally serve the same purpose (coupled with an in game item store)- to facilitate quick impulse purchases.
    The reason why it took BLizzard this long to have their own currency... Cause they have not had any F2P games. And even if Heartstone is going F2P does not mean that it will be implemented into WOW.

Like I said before. It does not help WOW in any way to have a sub fee and then ask the players to load special currency as well. Thats not convenient for the players and BLizzard should then either totally remove sub - or skip the extra currency and keep the game ingame shop free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Those very coins, or alternative currency, is one of primary features of microtransaction-based f2p games.

Is it the sign that WoW will go f2p? Hopefully, otherwise payment system starts looking very ugly. Just see:
    1. You need to buy game.
    2. You need to buy expansions.
    3. You need to buy game time.
    4. You need to pay for any character movement services.
    5. Cash-shop attached with flashiest (and most expensive in comparison to other game shops) game items.
    6. Now alternative currency.
    Elements 1-3 is p2p part. Element 4 is mixed part. Elements 5 and 6 is f2p part. It's like Acti-Blizzard tries to take everything from all models and combine it in one.
    Came here to post the same thing.

They are either gonna transition to F2P with a huge swing towards blizzard shop, or continue as they are, IE milking the cow till it keels over and dies.
    My guess is towards the latter because at the end of the day, money trumps everything and if they can get more of it out of your wallet, they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    Like I said before. It does not help WOW in any way to have a sub fee and then ask the players to load special currency as well. Thats not convenient for the players and BLizzard should then either totally remove sub - or skip the extra currency and keep the game ingame shop free.
    People should open their minds to the idea that in a game that has 90 levels and will have more in the future, a substantial portion of that could be made F2P or even B2P without changing the rest from a subscription model. A shop would support that just fine if that's what they intend. It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."