Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think Blizzard will definitely be expanding the free portion of the game but whether or not they go full F2P or go F2P minus current expansion or go F2P/1-85 or some other schema remains to be seen.
    Even if they make 1-85 totally free... that will not really help WOW get new players that will be paying for higher levels. The first 85 lvls of the game have become terribly bland to say the least. The lack of variety in talent trees, unbalanced classes while leveling and very repetitive and grindy quest content will keep ppl away - rather than get them interested to play any further.

What WOW needs to do is to rethink their original leveling curve. Taking the current 90 levels down to 45 would not hurt the game in any way. And it give a good chance to lower those big numbers that are multiplied with every new expansion. 2 expansions from now we will see items with 1000s of stamina.... and 100000000000 dmg if they go on like this.

If Blizzard is planning to let new players pay for XPboosts to get through content that is no longer worth paying for.. then maybe... as a subscription game.. they need to take a look at the game from start and make that experience better for the subscribers. Cause even as a F2P content. Most of the latest F2P games offer much better and more balanced content than what Blizzard is doing when it comes to that.

- - - Updated - - -

People should open their minds to the idea that in a game that has 90 levels and will have more in the future, a substantial portion of that could be made F2P or even B2P without changing the rest from a subscription model. A shop would support that just fine if that's what they intend. It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing.
    I much rather like to think that a sub game with 90 levels should restructure it so that the subs are getting the very best out of the game. EQ has done that few times cause expecting players to even play 5 year old content that is starting to lack pretty much everything that modern MMOs are offering.... is simply not acceptable.

Thats why I think BLizzard did a big mistake with Cataclysm when they did not restructure the game so that you can level the entire character in Vanilla world and at faster phase. The new talent system has made the game very grindy to play with so little variety. And the leveling experience in WOW is simply not good enough cause the game is too focused on keeping new content fit into the old ... rather than change the old one and make it better. Its understandable that BLizzard thinks that way.... but it still leaves the game with very bland content that might leave alot of players walking away even before they get to high enough level to pay for the game.

I think open mind is good. But to expect players to act like WOW is still the top quality gaming experience for MMOs while leveling.... is simply not gonna cut it. And to just add more stuff on top of already bland content (even if it becomes F2P) will do more bad than good. Specially when the new content has to be forced into the same model as the old one.
    Last edited by Duster505; 2013-07-25 at 06:40 PM.

Deleted
    Cashshop currency can be traded between games of a publisher? Wouldn't that be just the same as every second cash shop currency in every MMO and other online games with a cash shop system ever before? F2P or P2P.

Why should I be amazed about some dumb online card game? Nothing to do with WoW anway but milking IP. They are designed to make user spend money on their cash shop. All of them. Ocassional rewards with shop currency exist only to keep the user aware of the cash shop. You won 2 coins and check what you can buy. Prices then start at 10 coins for the weakest fluff items. 100 for some real shit. The payout is always much smaller than the prices of the cash shop items. The rest will be paid with hard cash. Playing the game will never be a viable option to earn currency for another game for more than a small group of player playing it professional. By design.

And Ghostcrawler never said anything about only fluff items and never said no gear. Only items for convenience.
    XP booster are not fluff items, but for Blizzard they are convenience items. Gear is pretty convenient too...

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    As I said: impatient and never looking at the larger picture.

CRZ is a master piece in technical achievement. You know it , I know it and what happens ? People stumble over peanuts.

whaaam, I can not find my ore, Cry cry cry.

The same happened to seamless phasing, years of endless moaning.

But anno 2013 WoW has now seamless farming in the open world tx to this technique, WoW has pet battles, WoW has seamless cross server game play etc... Thanks.

I could go on: the cross realm BG's, the new LFG tool.

All whining for months, but when a NEW MMORPG came out that didn't have cross server dungeons, the world was not huge enough to complain in that world...

Biased? Call me a realist. I know a technique when I see it and I know a short cut when I read about it.
    When will you finally understand that the word "seamless" (which you keep repeating so often) is not THE "be all end all" quality of an MMO game? I mean, sure, it is nice and all. But its just one feature out of plethora of mechanics and concepts that intertwine together to make the game good or bad (subjectively). Any form of reasoning with you ends up with more or less something like "But WoW is seamless, case closed, you failed". If all you need from a game is it to be seamless, good for you, enjoy what you please. But dont expect entire world to follow the twisted logic of cherrypicking a feature and declaring it an absolute. I could as well proclaim that SWTOR is the best MMO in the world becouse it has Jedi in it. And I actually know people who believe that with the difference that they dont claim it as an absolute virtue. No, they say that they like SWTOR best becouse it has best character storyline. And they dont care that engine is bad or things like that. All I would like from you is to acknowledge the existence of other games and the possibility that some people may like them more than WoW. But instead you have to keep throwing those people into the garbage bin with adnotation "morons who dont understand that WoW doesnt have loading screens". Absolutely disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    When will you finally understand that the word "seamless" (which you keep repeating so often) is not THE "be all end all" quality of an MMO game? I mean, sure, it is nice and all. But its just one feature out of plethora of mechanics and concepts that intertwine together to make the game good or bad (subjectively). Any form of reasoning with you ends up with more or less something like "But WoW is seamless, case closed, you failed". If all you need from a game is it to be seamless, good for you, enjoy what you please. But dont expect entire world to follow the twisted logic of cherrypicking a feature and declaring it an absolute. I could as well proclaim that SWTOR is the best MMO in the world becouse it has Jedi in it. And I actually know people who believe that with the difference that they dont claim it as an absolute virtue. No, they say that they like SWTOR best becouse it has best character storyline. And they dont care that engine is bad or things like that. All I would like from you is to acknowledge the existence of other games and the possibility that some people may like them more than WoW. But instead you have to keep throwing those people into the garbage bin with adnotation "morons who dont understand that WoW doesnt have loading screens". Absolutely disgusting.
    Not to mention that WoW isn't as seamless as he implies; there have been occasions when I couldn't even enter, for example, the Barrens, but could go anywhere else; I've also had other players and mobs disappear when zoning (pre-phasing, and post-phasing in non-phased areas); just because the transition is less apparent to most players doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And I'm not even going to point out the numerous portals and other means of transportation that cause loading screens in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Not to mention that WoW isn't as seamless as he implies; there have been occasions when I couldn't even enter, for example, the Barrens, but could go anywhere else; I've also had other players and mobs disappear when zoning (pre-phasing, and post-phasing in non-phased areas); just because the transition is less apparent to most players doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And I'm not even going to point out the numerous portals and other means of transportation that cause loading screens in WoW.
    There's a big difference between loading screens at every continent vs every zone; the latter is much more apparent and not particularly well loved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    If Blizzard is planning to let new players pay for XPboosts to get through content that is no longer worth paying for.. then maybe... as a subscription game.. they need to take a look at the game from start and make that experience better for the subscribers. Cause even as a F2P content. Most of the latest F2P games offer much better and more balanced content than what Blizzard is doing when it comes to that.
    While having no idea at all about what they are thinking about when they get to the point where F2P becomes a 'more-or-less reality' it wouldn't overly surprise me to see them have something for those that continue to subscribe that will reduce greatly or even eliminate leveling for those at end game. It's something I would welcome although there would be the usual screams about P2W. Leveling is always an option of course for anyone that wishes to do it. But I can see some benefit to something like subscribers create-a-max-level character and then solve the social aspect of whether or not you can handle the class through something like whatever the proving grounds will look like in a year or two.

Or Blizzard could surprise all of us completely with something that no one has thought of or layering on one or two original thoughts onto a bunch of ideas from elsewhere which is more their usual thing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Auryn88 View Post
    There's a big difference between loading screens at every continent vs every zone; the latter is much more apparent and not particularly well loved.
    And you know how often loading screens between maps are encountered? About once per map...after that you'll be waypointing your way around (with the possible exception of zoning into the map first to save a few coppers). People just like to bitch about it because "OMG IT'S NOT WOW THEREFORE IT'S BAD!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    D3 doesn't have a cash shop, it has a real money auction house that allows to trade items with other players. Blizzard doesn't sell any items on the RMAH, players do. Hence why they use the same value currency in D3 (Blizzard Balance = 1 Euro/USD/GBP etc).

WoW cash shop only has items Blizzard sells, so it's a completely other things.
    Stop calling it a WoW cash shop, because it is called a Blizzard shop, so not unique to WoW.

and this exactly makes it interesting.

The Coins payment in the Blizzard shop is multi game.

That's new and interesting since there is a common new currency to use on the BLIZZARD store.

Starting from that point, it becomes interesting as Blizzard can motivate players from these games to ultimately use this common coin system.

say: take a WoW subscription and get X coins or win 100 matches of HS and gain y coins.

.... that's up to Blizzard to decide and they can still respect the seperate paying systems of both games: WoW sub based and Hearthstone as F2P.

But the tools will be in place to have this new kind of combo play and rewards and Blizzard store currency.

that's plain logic.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-25 at 09:35 PM.

Stop calling it a WoW cash shop, because it is called a Blizzard shop, so not unique to WoW.
    It is unique to WoW. The Blizzard store has no in game items for D3 or SC2, only WoW. What they will do, is make those in game items available in the WoW cash shop. You won't be able to buy books or mouse pads in the WoW cash shop.

The Coins payment in the Blizzard shop is multi game.
    Where do you get that info? The Battle Coins have been only data mined for WoW, not Hearthstone, D3 or SC2.

That's new and interesting since there is a common new currency to use on the BLIZZARD store.
    Again, where do you get the info that the currency will be used outside of WoW?

You are only assuming things, you got no actual evidence for any of it.
    Last edited by Noctifer616; 2013-07-25 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    It is unique to WoW. The Blizzard store has no in game items for D3 or SC2, only WoW. What they will do, is make those in game items available in the WoW cash shop. You won't be able to buy books or mouse pads in the WoW cash shop.

Where do you get that info? The Battle Coins have been only data mined for WoW, not Hearthstone, D3 or SC2.

Again, where do you get the info that the currency will be used outside of WoW?

You are only assuming things, you got no actual evidence for any of it.
    Now I know you are trolling.

Look at the CURRENT Blizzard store:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/shop/ Oh God, the website Blizzard store contains every game Blizzard ever made ...

It clearly states the Blizzard store will use COINS.

Why do you think it is called a Blizzard store instead of a WOW store in the first place ?

So you LIKE calling it a WOW store , but it clearly states BLIZZARD store.

Capice ?

Hearthstone is the FIRST free to play game coming from Blizzard, so they already said you can buy packs.

So you think they create a SEPERATE "Blizzard store" just for Hearthstone ???

LOL. Of course not.

The Blizzard store - that will use coins in the future - is there for the F2P game mechanics in such new games like HS and BAS and at the same time it will sell of course the usual fluff items from WOW.

Just like the current website Blizzard store version does. You buy your fluff stuff in the same place as other stuff from Blizzard games.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-25 at 09:54 PM.

Now I know you are trolling.

Look at the CURRENT Blizzard store:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/shop/ Oh God, the website Blizzard store contains every game Blizzard ever made ...

It clearly states the Blizzard store will use COINS.

Why do you think it is called a Blizzard store instead of a WOW store in the first place ?
    Are you referring to the actual webpage or the datamined strings?

Hearthstone is the FIRST free to play game comcing from Blizzard, so they already said you can buy packs.

Who says you will be able to purchase packs in the store? What if you just by the gold with real money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearthstone is the FIRST free to play game coming from Blizzard, so they already said you can buy packs.

LOL
    I don't know if they will or not but why wouldn't they. They have separate web sites for everything else. Why wouldn't an in-game store take you to the stuff you're interested in based on the game you're playing at the time. This is not to say they won't connect them up in some way but having Hearthstone stuff on one site, StarCraft on another, Diablo on yet another, etc. isn't exactly unimaginable.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I don't know if they will or not but why wouldn't they. They have separate web sites for everything else. Why wouldn't an in-game store take you to the stuff you're interested in based on the game you're playing at the time. This is not to say they won't connect them up in some way but having Hearthstone stuff on one site, StarCraft on another, Diablo on yet another, etc. isn't exactly unimaginable.
    So why do they call it a BLIZZARD store then ?

Why not call it a WOW store ?

And WHY would they create a new common currency to use on that Blizzard store ?

and btw : You ALREADY have MASSES of cross game fluff stuff (by CE editions etc), so it is not even now seperated in virtual items in today's standards... I have my WOW virtual items in SC2, I have my D3 virtual items in WOW.

So it is even now crossed with virtual items in all games.

it is quite Obvious the FIRST F2P Blizzard game needs an extensive cash shop and that's what the Blizzard store will be used for.

As I said: "Hearthstone : the game that will change the World (of Warcraft)".

Pretty good first hint in that slogan.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-25 at 10:04 PM.

Because it was always the Blizzard store. Why would they change it.

Why does that matter?

Who says it's common? We only know it's going to be used in WoW so far. And as pointed out before, every other game uses in game cash shop currencies (LoL, GW2 etc.).

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/shop/

I don't even discuss things with Obvious trolls. I am going to bookmark this and I will let you eat your pants.

Infracted: Please post constructively. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-07-25 at 10:14 PM.

If I have 2 stores, and call one the Rhandric Store, does that preclude naming the other one the Rhandric Store as well? That's the logic you're using here.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/shop/

I don't even discuss things with Obvious trolls.
    I am searching the site, there is no "Battle Coin" on it for me. Make a screenshot then. It's not on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    We should probably thank all the people that did proper effort to complain about the Item shop, for Blizzard to consider implementing this.

I'd like a source though.
    Yes, clearly this wasn't the plan all along, and Blizzard did this due to all of the hard work, time and effort that people placed into round-the-clock complaining about it.

Annnnnyways...

I was fine with the idea of just a cash shop for cosmetic items, but this seems like it will make it an easier pill to swallow for the cash shop dissenters.

Well this has been a jolly ride. Has anyone extracted any information out of a blue yet, preferably under torture? I'd love to see more information, like a PLEX dealio or a coin<->gold transfer system or something.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    Where are people getting that you'll be able to earn coins inside the game from?

What it sounds like to me is they're going to try switching to a "universal" currency that you pay for and store in your account to use in all Blizzard games.

Cash-shop "currency" like this is actually a negative thing for the consumer but it's fairly common practice so it's not a Blizzard specific fail.

Usually how it works is like this:

1000 coins costs $9.99

Item costs 900 coins.

100 coins left over.

The idea is that you wont be able to spend the exact amount you want; if you're even 10 coins short you'd have to fork out for another 1000, and all those "left-overs" from purchases are just your money being tied up until you add enough back into your coin-purse for a new purchase.

Essentially, a "900 coin" item WOULD be $9.00, but by using a coin system that requires a minimum purchase of 1000 for $9.99, they can squeeze an extra .99 out of you. Those 100 left-overs are essentially worthless until you buy more coins again.

Really don't like it and wish companies would just let us buy everything with actual money at the exact amounts.

But maybe I'm wrong and they'll do something different here. As I said it's not really a Blizzard fail, and tons of games/services with currency based cash shops have this same problem.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-07-25 at 11:41 PM.