ToT 10 normal tanking on a DK

/emerald-dream/Duvainel/advanced

Can't post an actual link, but that is my armory url ending ^^.

I've been gearing up to tank ToT 10 for my guild, and looking for any advice on gearing, as well as any particular tactics or worries to consider as a Death Knight. I've done some reading, and I understand that dps stats are more important to a DK tank in 10's? I wonder if I possibly have too much mastery in that case? Also for trinkets, I picked up the Liquid Courage because I felt having access to a stam trinket would be useful, and the LFR Lei Shen trinket has yet to drop for me. But will I need it? Should I start with it, and switch out if it's not needed, or should I run another dps trinket in it's spot and switch to the stam if it's needed? Other trinkets in my possession includ LFR versions of Primordius's Talisman of Rage, a 2/2 LFR Fabled Feather of Ji'Kun which I use for my dps spec, and the SPA dps trinket.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time out to help me with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Duvainel View Post
    /emerald-dream/Duvainel/advanced

Can't post an actual link, but that is my armory url ending ^^.

I've been gearing up to tank ToT 10 for my guild, and looking for any advice on gearing, as well as any particular tactics or worries to consider as a Death Knight. I've done some reading, and I understand that dps stats are more important to a DK tank in 10's? I wonder if I possibly have too much mastery in that case? Also for trinkets, I picked up the Liquid Courage because I felt having access to a stam trinket would be useful, and the LFR Lei Shen trinket has yet to drop for me. But will I need it? Should I start with it, and switch out if it's not needed, or should I run another dps trinket in it's spot and switch to the stam if it's needed? Other trinkets in my possession includ LFR versions of Primordius's Talisman of Rage, a 2/2 LFR Fabled Feather of Ji'Kun which I use for my dps spec, and the SPA dps trinket.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time out to help me with this!
    Hello.

When I started running 10m normal, I soft capped hit/exp and then went full on mastery with reforges and gems, including reforging all the avoidance stats to mastery as well. Once I got comfortable with a certain amount and my gear improved, I started reforging some of it to haste, along with taking the dps legendary meta, dps legendary cloak, and a haste trinket. It increased my dps a lot and didn't hurt my survivability at all. I believe at the moment I run with about 195% mastery (unbuffed) and feel fine with it. Most bosses on normal don't have huge damage spikes and with a solid DS usage you should be fine. The only fight that gave me some scares at the start was Horridon, but with a proper cd rotation its not an issue at all.

Deleted
    DPS stats are never more important than tanking stats. Not in raiding. If you're hitting enrage timers on normals then that's something your dps need to fix.

When you go fresh into an instance you want to be maximising your survivability over everything else. Just read the tank guide thread on this very forum: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5-3-DK-Tanking

One stam trinket should be plenty, 600k+ raid buffed hp is more than enough for normals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damyou View Post
    DPS stats are never more important than tanking stats. Not in raiding. If you're hitting enrage timers on normals then that's something your dps need to fix.

When you go fresh into an instance you want to be maximising your survivability over everything else. Just read the tank guide thread on this very forum: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5-3-DK-Tanking

One stam trinket should be plenty, 600k+ raid buffed hp is more than enough for normals.

sry man but tank dps in 10 man is important, maybe not for him but in 10 man heroic progression raids, it is important

I've been doing normal's now for a few weeks as a tank (4 to be exact) after moving my DK to a guild my rogue was in who needed a tank. I struggled with my stats at first but got by, we had a strong Druid tank so I just had to fill in and survive, which I focused on Mastery and got up to 220% raid buffed, taking as little dodge as I could find and using mostly dps items other than the on demand mastery trinket and whatever higher ilvl items I had which had defensive stats on them.

Overall with that build I was told by my healers at 510 ilvl I was doing very well and there weren't many "oh crap" moments with myself where I couldn't CD and get myself out of a jam. Since raiding I've moved into 527 ilvl, gone to as much dps gear as possible and started moving towards haste by giving up approx 35% mastery (190-195% buffed now), the difference in our kill times and my overall dps is starting to show, we blew thru 9/12 this week in one raid night with a few problems as well as some people taking breaks along the way (a problem we have alot is people afk'ing during raid). Without the mis-steps we easily could have gone 11/12 which speaks volumes when just 2 weeks ago 6/12 was very ambitious for us in one night.

I'm not saying I'm the changer to the group, but talking to some of our raid group, my ability to keep myself up and push the pace of trash and boss dps really helps in quicker kills and quicker transition to the next boss.

Blood tanking is about what your comfortable with, but put the research into trying more or less of a stat and how it reacts to you, switch to dps gems/legendary as well as runeforges and see how you like them. I use LFR as my testing ground, not so much for "how much damage I can take" but more for "how comfortable am I with my own sustainability"