Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Hardest part about raiding while on a job is that you have 0 freedom.

work/travel 9 hours, sleep 8 hours, work out 1.5 hours, dinner 30 mins, hygiene, family etc.

Having the obligation to spend every moment of free time you have to do a raid just kills the fun(regardless of if you would've just pugged anyway if you were guildless, it's the freedom that counts).

Also not being able to enjoy a nice dinner because raid is on is just awful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I got really laidback work hours, but have to work most Saturdays and some Sundays. I work from 10-16 most of the days(10-15 on Saturdays, and on scheduled meetings on sundays).

Due to short work hours I have so much spare time for Raiding(4times a week), Workout, GF and other fun stuff.

I raid 3 nights a week Tues-Thurs from 8:30-11:30pm and it works for me. I have to wake up around 6:45 am, so I am cutting out hours out of my sleep. I'm not a morning person anyway so it's not that big of a deal.

I work a 9-5 job and get home around 5:30, so I have plenty of time to do other things before the raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    When I played in casual(sem-hardcore, if you like) guild, it was a nightmare.
    I worked from 9am to 5pm.
    Raid time was 8pm-12pm, 4 days a week.
    I was left with just 3 hours of "life" a day and I spent most of it to travel to work and to cook myself a breakfast/dinner.

Then I switched to hardcore guild and all my problems dissapeared.
    "Hardcore raid time" - 2 hours, 1 day a week. It's enough to do the full clear.
    Also I don't have to farm gold, gems, flasks because guild is providing everything --> even less time spent in the game.

Suddenly I got so much free time in my life I've never even dreamed about.

There are 2-3 weeks of hardcore, 7-9 hours a day, 7 days a week raiding, but most of the time it's just 1 day a week farming.

So the better you play the less time you spend in the game, and you can easily work and play in the same time.
    NICE TRY!

If you clear content in 2-3 weeks you are probably in a Top 10 Guild... ok... Method needed 5 weeks to clear ToT, but maybe you are in some secret, special superhardcore guild that doesn't even show up at wowprogress who did the REAL worldfirsts.

To be realistic... maybe you're really in a Top 20 Guild, but then you have to do hardcore for at least 8 weeks when new content is out. And even Top 50 guilds nowadays are raiding 10h+ per day, 6-7 days per week.
    How do you get so much free time to do hardcore for nearly 2 months? Spend all your holiday time on it and say you are ill for the rest of the time? Surely a good investment to spend all holiday time on raiding! Pretending to be ill for a long time is something you can surely do if you want to, but its a shame that you betray your employer and co-workers who have to do your work instead!

MOREOVER if you are in a hardcore guild that clears content in "only" 2 months you won't just play the game for 2 hours per week... you will also have 2-3 alts who clear the whole instance. Of course you also have to get Charms and VPs for them.

So you say you raid for 2-3 weeks with 7-9 hours per day. And after that 2 hours per week.
    The true story is: You raid 8-9 weeks with 10-12 hours per day (70-80 hours per week). And after progress is done you play another 10-12 hours per week.

I personally raid in a "casual"/semi-hardcore guild and i raid 12-14 hours per week while also killing every available boss on HC AND working 50 hours per week AND having a lot of free time to enjoy food, meeting with friends, doing sports, watching movies, etc...
    Last edited by mmoc610696607c; 2013-07-27 at 12:09 AM.

It's really not so hard. I commute an hour to work each day, and start usually at 7am, so I leave the house at 6am and am back at 4pm. My guild only raids two nights a week 6 - 9pm, so after raid I get about an hour of free time (sometimes more, I am very capable of functioning on 6 hours of sleep each day). In August I'll be starting schools, going monday / wednesday nights after work and tuesday / thursday mornings (my new days off), then it's home to raid, then homework, etc. I'm excited to be busy for once since I've spent the last two years just working and raiding and filling my free time is becoming quite an issue.
    Hardest part about raiding while on a job is that you have 0 freedom.

work/travel 9 hours, sleep 8 hours, work out 1.5 hours, dinner 30 mins, hygiene, family etc.

Having the obligation to spend every moment of free time you have to do a raid just kills the fun(regardless of if you would've just pugged anyway if you were guildless, it's the freedom that counts).

Also not being able to enjoy a nice dinner because raid is on is just awful.
    There are a variety of guilds out there both in progress and in schedule. For example, my guild is semi-hardcore, but we only raid two days a week. This means we clear bosses slower, but when we do raid, we're there to win and get bosses down. We only raid three hours a night as well which leaves you a lot of time for other stuff. Let's look at other parts of your schedule:

Sleep - 8 hours. As an adult you definitely do not need 8 hours of sleep. Most people function just fine on 6 - 7 hours.

Work out - 1.5 hours. Working out is a hobby. If you're looking to stay healthy and in shape, a thirty minute jog before and after work will do the trick, and you really only need to do that three to four days a week. If you're at the gym 1.5 hours a day, every day, that's a personal choice.

Not only that, but if you find yourself a guild that only raids two or three nights a week you'll be in a much better spot. Sure on Tues / Wed / Thur you might have to shovel down the dinner, read the kids a quick bedtime story, and then off to spend the rest of the evening raiding. But then your Saturday / Sunday are free and clear to take the kids to the fair, have a nice dinner with the wife, what have you.
    Last edited by IxilaFA; 2013-07-27 at 01:44 AM.

Deleted
    well it might be ok at this point in your life to come home from work , eat then raid then bed. wait till you get married and have some kids , that's where I am now at in the stage of my life and I don't raid as much as I used to. at the min I tend to raid on a sunday and we are going to try to get back to a Monday , both nights from 8.45 >>> 11.30pm . I am also the GM of my guild and we are nice and casual so at least thers no pressure on how far we get into raids , but at least we always managed to kill the last boss of the last expac since wrath and I hope we can do the same in MoP. All in all I find that if you just plan the time needed for family stuff you can still find the time to raid , but maybe not just at the lvls that you used to .

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    NICE TRY!

If you clear content in 2-3 weeks you are probably in a Top 10 Guild... ok... Method needed 5 weeks to clear ToT, but maybe you are in some secret, special superhardcore guild that doesn't even show up at wowprogress who did the REAL worldfirsts.

To be realistic... maybe you're really in a Top 20 Guild, but then you have to do hardcore for at least 8 weeks when new content is out. And even Top 50 guilds nowadays are raiding 10h+ per day, 6-7 days per week.
    Not sure where you're getting your numbers from here. Took Method 13 days to kill Lei-Shen and revert to a much less demanding schedule.

Top 50 guilds are not raiding 10h+ 6-7 days a week. Took us 7 weeks on a 5x5 schedule and now we're down to 1 day clears.

Alts and such are a different story and would add 1 or 2 days to farm, we don't require them but there's enough natural interest to cause some amount of alt raids to happen.

And for the thread:
    Graduate student so hours are pretty flexible. Now that it's farm I spend more time in lab working than during progression.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaetan View Post
    Not sure where you're getting your numbers from here. Took Method 13 days to kill Lei-Shen and revert to a much less demanding schedule.

Top 50 guilds are not raiding 10h+ 6-7 days a week. Took us 7 weeks on a 5x5 schedule and now we're down to 1 day clears.

Alts and such are a different story and would add 1 or 2 days to farm, we don't require them but there's enough natural interest to cause some amount of alt raids to happen.

And for the thread:
    Graduate student so hours are pretty flexible. Now that it's farm I spend more time in lab working than during progression.
    Method killed Ra-den after about 5 weeks. I know ra-den has limited attempts, so its not possible to raid 7 days à 12 hours on it. But if you want to want to maximize progress out of these attemps it surely takes 2 days too. Clearing the instance took them 1 day too and after that they instantly began to gear Alts... and of course you won't clear the instance with alt instantly and it needs a little bit progress too.
    Of course i dont know the exact numbers because i dont even care enough.... it just annoyes me when people claim "hohoho i'm in a hardcore guild and basically i don't even play the game guys and its all RL".

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Method killed Ra-den after about 5 weeks. I know ra-den has limited attempts, so its not possible to raid 7 days à 12 hours on it. But if you want to want to maximize progress out of these attemps it surely takes 2 days too. Clearing the instance took them 1 day too and after that they instantly began to gear Alts... and of course you won't clear the instance with alt instantly and it needs a little bit progress too.
    Of course i dont know the exact numbers because i dont even care enough.... it just annoyes me when people claim "hohoho i'm in a hardcore guild and basically i don't even play the game guys and its all RL".
    I was taking exception more to the remarks about top 50 guild raid times.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    I have my guild set where it's pretty friendly to those who work day jobs. I originally had it set this way (end at 11 pm est) because I couldn't find a guild that ended early enough for me. I work full time night shift starting at 11:30 est. Other guildies work day jobs and love our schedule since other heroic guilds go much later. So anyways, raiding doesn't mess us up at all. ^.^
    I also work through the night, and found it difficult getting a spot in a guild that ended early enough in the evening for me to get to work on time. I had been raiding in a daytime guild before that. It was a little bit weird waking up, raid for 3 hours during progression then go to work, but I have become used to it.

Deleted
    I went to work at 5 am and got home at 5 PM. Our raid started at 6:30 PM and ended roughly 12 AM every Sunday/Tuesday and Thursday. Raided with them for the duration of both TBC and Wotlk and that worked out nicely for me. Although I remember trying to convince the raid leader to change the Sunday raid to Monday as it's such a bitch to deal with Mondays as it is, even more so with only 5 hours of sleep.

I'm unemployed at the moment and oddly enough this is the only time in my WoW "career" that I am not raiding, hehe.