Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    Now that this dramabomb is over, they can get back to making good games without some corporate tool over their shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Good for Activision Blizzard for getting rid of that leech. It's a sinking ship sadly.
    Um, they didn't say Kotick was leaving too, you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great. Now I have to listen to the naysayers and chicken littles who think WoW is dying for another few months.

At least BLizz got free of Vivendi

This is the lowest WoW has ever been, but you know what...it is still 6million more subs then blizzard first predicted for Vanilla, I'm pretty sure a lot of people stopped playing the game, but will come back next expansion, not all of them of course but a lot, probably back up to 9mil, the game has been out for 8 years now, after 10 years of playing, this game will probably still have 5mil subs...It doesn't even matter if people think WoW is dying, it isn't, it has simply been around a very very long time and people are moving on, that is all.

Everyone that whines about it should learn some basic marketing. Go search about Product Life Cycle. Every product goes trough those fases. Things like coca-cola are exceptions.

This is about the same number of subs the game had during the first few months of The Burning Crusade.

I guess 10-man raiding, LFR, heirlooms and a ridiculously easy catch-up system isn't enough to keep people playing. Perhaps we should go back to the TBC/Wrath model, when the game was growing exponentially.

Oh, the investors will not be happy about this. They will start to panic and if Blizzard has even the slightest inclination to go to a free-to-play model, subscription losses like this and the ones from last quarter will only make it seem more profitable to those greedy shareholders than sticking with the sub model. Especially when you've got companies like EA boasting about their artificially inflated number of players who flooded back to SWTOR after it went F2P.

I love World of Warcraft and do not wish to see it go F2P. But, once that happens, the passion (what little left there is) will be completely gone and the death of the tried and true original MMO model will be sealed for good.

I was not expecting this big but goes to show that the belief that the majority wants mindless face roll content and raids shoved down their throats was a winning solution. Blizzard has an issue with hitting the middle ground and has to swing so widely.

RIP Blizzard Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    The Sky is Falling!
    I came here with exactly this statement in mind ^^

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    This is about the same number of subs the game had during the first few months of The Burning Crusade.

I guess 10-man raiding, LFR, heirlooms and a ridiculously easy catch-up system isn't enough to keep people playing. Perhaps we should go back to the TBC/Wrath model, when the game was growing exponentially.
    TBC/Wrath model used to work those days, but now there is not enough incentive for players to put that much time and effort into game

Knowing how often trick at ALL sure that number does not exceed five million

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post

Oh, the investors will not be happy about this. They will start to panic and if Blizzard has even the slightest inclination to go to a free-to-play model, subscription losses like this and the ones from last quarter will only make it seem more profitable to those greedy shareholders than sticking with the sub model. Especially when you've got companies like EA boasting about their artificially inflated number of players who flooded back to SWTOR after it went F2P.

I love World of Warcraft and do not wish to see it go F2P. But, once that happens, the passion (what little left there is) will be completely gone and the death of the tried and true original MMO model will be sealed for good.
    All the MMO's that went F2P only had about 100k or less people still playing, WoW will not be following that model for quite sometime...maybe never.

I've played WoW rather regularly for somewhere near seven years, but I'll be honest that my interest in the game is starting to dwindle. The quality of Mists continued to decline as time passed and I've recently gained interest in Wildstar, so that is distracting me. It also doesn't help that the people I've played with for years either don't have the time to play or just aren't on around the same time I am.

All-in-all I'm not too surprised about this loss of subscriptions, saddened? Yes. Surprised? Not really. WoW will survive, hopefully the new expansion will bring back some punch. The REALLY depressing part is I have fallen in love with the Monk class, but don't enjoy it enough to play the game for more than a few hours at a time.

Deleted
    GG Blizzard and now you have it - focus on casual players, they come and the leve, while hardcore players would stay(and they didnt because of what game become)

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't see why people are concerned if people don't like the game and quit. Hell I can't wait for all the so-called 'raiders' that hate the much improved casual approach the game's taking to just leave. They complain enough about LFR and Legendary chains and other silly things but never quit.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Oh boy, here we go

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    GG Blizzard and now you have it - focus on casual players, they come and the leve, while hardcore players would stay(and they didnt because of what game become)
    Ok, dunno where you get you data...but hardcore players are the minority and always have been. If blizz could choose to lose ALL the hardcore players but retain ALL the casual players, they would be in a much better position.

Quote Originally Posted by LowGear View Post
    I've played WoW rather regularly for somewhere near seven years, but I'll be honest that my interest in the game is starting to dwindle. The quality of Mists continued to decline as time passed and I've recently gained interest in Wildstar, so that is distracting me. It also doesn't help that the people I've played with for years either don't have the time to play or just aren't on around the same time I am.

All-in-all I'm not too surprised about this loss of subscriptions, saddened? Yes. Surprised? Not really. WoW will survive, hopefully the new expansion will bring back some punch. The REALLY depressing part is I have fallen in love with the Monk class, but don't enjoy it enough to play the game for more than a few hours at a time.
    I am the same way, i dont touch any other of my characters but the monk, and i sit in SW by t he fountain across the AH waiting in 30 minutes ques for Alt Valley, only to lose get 50 honor , and do it again, i cant bring myself to run dungeons anymore or do anymore dailies , and 5.4 is bringing us the "timeless isle" another daily zone so we can daily while they open raid wings, i only purchase time cards now too, i cant bring myself to sub up

the game is very stale now , and the carrot on the stick is shrinking while the pole on which its extended is getting longer, only to be told "there's more to do" , in fact there is not, they just stagger the time it takes to earn things,

anyway, ill get a time card here and there, but , i am rather done playing this game , same grind, same 'meh' reward

WoW will likely be around in 10 more years, in one form or another- the game is not going to die anytime soon. With that said, 600k subs is nothing to say "who cares" about, and you can be certain that there will be a few closed door meetings concerning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    TBC/Wrath model used to work those days, but now there is not enough incentive for players to put that much time and effort into game
    The difference between the amount of time it took to actually get good gear is about the same amount of time as it currently takes. You just now do it in a more boring way by repeating the same shit over and over. Instead of doing a long quest chain that provides lore to the raid you are doing so you can even step inside of it, you are just doing the same quests enough times a week for tokens so you can run LFR and possibly a normal/heroic mode too if you are really trying to upgrade your gear and money for enchants and gems.

A friend wanted me to play WoW again. I was going to go for it, I have not been subscribed for over 6 months. (My heart lost it much longer than that... but annual pass...opps...) Turns out, I don't qualify for Scroll of Res. No benefits. No lvl 80 character on a realm with my friend. Okay... leveling... is really hard to get through, but maybe I'd give it a shot. Then comes the down payment. I'd need to buy Mists, start a new sub... maybe a 3 month chunk. That's a lot up front, for something that may not pan out into a long term renewed interest.

I just want to see if there's a spark... but there's this barrier.

Speaking of barriers. Until I can freely join guilds cross server, how am I going to use my main character(s) to find a suitable 25man raiding guild? That's why I quit in the first place. They have not fixed or even addressed that. I cannot freely cross servers to find a solid group of new friends. My faction / server fell apart, there's no 25man selection. Blizzard has placed a barrier between me and my goals for this game.

Been so long without a fix for that...