Question on Download/Upload speed

Okay so recently I switched my internet to the best possible in my area. which is 50mb Download and 5mb Upload.

When i was downloading games tho it would be at 5-7mbps. Don't wanna sound like a noob but I was thinking the download would be near 50 right?

When I download will the speed at which I download stuff be towards the Upload and not download?

i believe the 50mb download is 50 megabits, which would equal to around 5-7 megabytes.

I'm going to skip explanation about advertising burst speeds, most likely this is caused server side, you may be able to dl something at 50mbps but if the servers your downloading it from only send it out at 7mbps that's as fast as your getting it. If you have your tin foil hat on today you can go to use a speed test to see what your currently averaging, id recommend speedtest,net

Okay I see now

Your ISP advertises things as megaBITS while software announces download speed in megaBYTES.

What you should have is 50/8 = 6.25 megaBYTES maximum download speed. 7mbps is little too high actually, 5-6mbps would sound about right.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    Okay so recently I switched my internet to the best possible in my area. which is 50mb Download and 5mb Upload.

When i was downloading games tho it would be at 5-7mbps. Don't wanna sound like a noob but I was thinking the download would be near 50 right?

When I download will the speed at which I download stuff be towards the Upload and not download?
    I'm fairly certain that you're mixing up Mbps and MegaBytes/sec.

As Vesse said, it's 50 Megabit / 8 bits = 6.25 MegaBytes/sec as your maximum.

Do note that servers/peer(s) may not be able to sustain that for you, so it may not necessarily be your own line that is bad either.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    In OP's defense

mbps Mb/s MB/s megabits/s megabytes/s

all look very similar to someone who doesn't know any better.