Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If World of warcraft didn't exist what MMO would be superior?

I personally feel rift would be superior, just because It's just like WoW, but more...
    Only Reason I don't play it, is because since it's so similar, I don't want to make new characters on a MMO that isn't as big as WoW.

How about you guys?
    My name is what makes me so manly.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure, but i don't think the mmo market would have been as big if it wasn't for WoW.

im not sure Rift would be the largest as its only a few years old, more likely to be one of the ones that came out within a few years of WoW.
    dragonmaw - EU

Nah Rift came late to the game. It would've had to have been an MMO that popped up around the same time as WoW since that when the MMORPG market really started booming. Anything that came to the table in 2011 or later is too late imo. Possibly even 2010.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say, I'd possibly say Guild Wars (not GW2) up 'til Rift came out, but that's my opinion, there are no doubt others prior to Rifts release, had WoW not been made ofc...
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Not Rift. Without WoW it wouldn't even exist as it does now.

The answer is probably Everquest or Everquest II.

Don't really agree with Rift being similar to WoW but more and MMO market would not have been this big without WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Personally I left WoW and went back to FFXI/ Rift is a joke to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    everquest 3 i'm sure.

What other company besides the makers of Diablo/Diablo 2/Warcraft had enough capital and fans to start developing such a risky and popular game? They were kind of uniquely poised.

Edit: Everquest 3, though...probably a good point...

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Not Rift. Without WoW it wouldn't even exist as it does now.

The answer is probably Everquest or Everquest II.
    Good point, Rift was released to competition to WoW. Everquest was the big thing before WoW. The thing everquest lacked, WoW brought it in.

Rift is quite good, but because of its similarity to WoW I dont log in very often. I dont know if it wouldve risen to be the super power MMO because it is pretty new. I really cant pinpoint any current or past MMO that wouldve had the chops to rule the MMO nest. More likely it wouldve been 4 or 5 MMOs with their little niche bases unless Everquest decided to step up. Then it probably wouldve been them.

If WoW didn't exist, the MMO genre of today would be almost entirely unrecognizable and most of the other MMOs that currently exist would never have been made, at least not in their current form or with their current gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift was built on the success of WoW, as was a heap of other MMO's.
    I'm choosing something that was already in place, or coming out soon, so EQ1, EQ2 or GW1.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    If WoW didn't exist, the MMO genre of today would be almost entirely unrecognizable and most of the other MMOs that currently exist would never have been made, at least not in their current form or with their current gameplay.
    Hmm When was Runescape created?

Somebody would have stumbled across what made WoW great I imagine within a couple years

10+ Year Old Account
    It would've had to have been an MMO that popped up around the same time as WoW since that when the MMORPG market really started booming.
    WoW made the market boom, brought interest in the genre to millions. If WoW didnt exist the market in the West wouldnt be anywhere close to what it is, and games like Rift or SWTOR wouldnt exist either. The biggest MMO would probably be some Korean port.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    WoW made the market boom, brought interest in the genre to millions. If WoW didnt exist the market in the West wouldnt be anywhere close to what it is, and games like Rift or SWTOR wouldnt exist either. The biggest MMO would probably be some Korean port.

or a new everquest would be quite reasonable.
    dragonmaw - EU

What killed RIFT for me is the new expansion has some of the worst leveling (if you prefer PVE leveling) in current MMOs. It was just really bad, and everyone I know quit during it. I quit the day I hit max level because I was just so burnt from the leveling experience. Many of the later zones in the new expansion just had that "unfinished" feeling that every other MMO on the market has. I feel it was a large reason why the game went F2P shortly after the expansion launched. I can actually level a character in WoW all day long and not get bored.

The game also runs at about 15-20FPS even on the best of the best hardware in some zones if you turn settings to max. I have a 3770k @ 4.6GHz and a GTX Titan that has no problem maxing any game on the market, however in RIFT I was still seeing low 20s consistently in certain towns while other zones I would be at 60+ FPS. It's very unoptimized, and has been since launch, and they are never going to fix it. Having to turn a game's setting down due to a crippled game engine is off-putting.

I don't think i'd be playing MMOs if WoW didn't exist. I'd stick to single player and co-op RPG games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars Galaxies should still be here. As for Swtor not being around if not for WoW perhaps to some extent, but there would be another Star Wars MMO.

Deleted
    Interesting question... a lot of people played Everquest 2 and Dark Age of Camelot BEFORE WoW so these games would have lasted a little bit longer.
    Games that were released shortly after WoW: Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Guildwars and Aion. So maybe these MMOs would have been a lot bigger.
    Because there was still a lot of potential in MMOs games like Rift and SW TOR would have been released earlier and took most of the market.
    Of course also a lot of NEW games would have been developed that we dont even know. In the end i would say that rift or a completely unknown game would be "superior".