Thread: Monk gearing?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monk gearing?

I haven't played for a year. From what I remember monks needed a certain amount of resistances. Is this still the case?

From the gear I see being used, most don't come with resistance of any kind on them.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    Would also want to know about gearing, so im Hijacking this thread !

I stopped also for around 1 year ago and this is where iam now

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/S...2/hero/8580659

Any special stats to aim for ? also i got a 60 DH but i belive that Monk will be alot more fun to play with.

What craftables can i also get ?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/R.../hero/31129638

There's my monk and I can run MP10 with few issues...you don't really need much AR, just a lot of damage and LS.

400-600 AR is prob good once you break 125k damage.
    Last edited by Razorlor; 2013-07-28 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post

There's my monk and I can run MP10 with few issues...you don't really need much AR, just a lot of damage and LS.

Agree with what this guy says but you're running a really odd build. Additionally, I don't get why you're using one with everything but then you've got different resists all over the place.

Get yourself a 5% LS Skorn or a 1000+ LoH Skorn. The LS is better IMO. Then work on getting crit chance/crit damage/AS. Once your DPS gets high enough you just heal through damage.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post

Ok thanks, it has changed since i last played.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Agree with what this guy says but you're running a really odd build. Additionally, I don't get why you're using one with everything but then you've got different resists all over the place.

Get yourself a 5% LS Skorn or a 1000+ LoH Skorn. The LS is better IMO. Then work on getting crit chance/crit damage/AS. Once your DPS gets high enough you just heal through damage.
    I'll never be able to afford that thing. I can barely break 5 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post

Just pick up all rings and amulets and sell them for 200k each unidentified. Leaves you with quite a lot of gold in the end. Helps you quickly progress against any targets below 20m

Actually Skorns are pretty cheap. If you want a 1500 DPS one then sure it'll be expensive but I got my 1000+ LoH 1200 DPS Skorn for like 700k. Just set a buyout price of 1 mil, set 5% LS, 275 dex. If you absolutely cannot find one I can get you my old one for like 700k but it is LoH and not LS.

If you want to see a good skorn / LS build - check out my guy
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B...6/hero/3517811
    keep in mind that 2 of those rings are for +XP and not my good rings.

I recently picked up Echoing Fury and Won Khim Lau. How do I find my characters profile so I can link it?

I recently picked up Echoing Fury and Won Khim Lau. How do I find my characters profile so I can link it?
    I had a hard time with that too. I believe you need to log into the D3 site then you can pull it up. It's a pain because you need to be logged in to get it the first time. You can't just search it out like WoW's armory.

I had a hard time with that too. I believe you need to log into the D3 site then you can pull it up. It's a pain because you need to be logged in to get it the first time. You can't just search it out like WoW's armory.
    I tried that. all I can find under my characters is my WoW characters, and the search feature won't bring my D3 character up.

well I got a Skorn with 1240 damage, 295 dex and 5.60% LS. It just doesnt feel like it's doing as good as my old weapons.

This is my profile. I found it. lol http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/P...8/hero/1074123
    Last edited by Pandragon; 2013-07-31 at 04:12 AM.

I tried that. all I can find under my characters is my WoW characters, and the search feature won't bring my D3 character up.

well I got a Skorn with 1240 damage, 295 dex and 5.60% LS. It just doesnt feel like it's doing as good as my old weapons.

This is my profile. I found it. lol http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/P...8/hero/1074123
    Did your DPS go up or down when you equipped Skorn? Your sheet DPS says 66k which is fairly low, especially with the Skorn. Getting a better crit gem will help. In fact, upgrading all of your gems will help by a fair bit. I would dump your inna's radiance, it is fairly bad and try and get a mempo or andarials helm with higher dex. Also, drop dashing strike and pick up wave of light:empowered wave. Bells are how monks kill enemies these days.

Shoulder, neck, gloves and wrist can all be crafted to make BiS gear. It can take some funds to get something good but it may be a cheaper way to get some better gear. I just bought the mats needed off the AH (they're cheaper now).

While you likely won't be able to match my gear it may give you some things to look for. Oddly it says my sheet dps is 199k which it isn't in game so I'm not sure where that number is coming from.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B...4/hero/7480753
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2013-07-31 at 02:02 PM.

My dps went up 16k when I equipped Skorn. I have what I have cause it's all I can afford. I currently only have like 60k in gold.

Dashing Strike was just something I was testing out last night.

If I can barely upgrade my gear, my gems will never be upgraded. I can't afford anything better then what I got.
    Last edited by Pandragon; 2013-08-01 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    Just pick up all rings and amulets and sell them for 200k each unidentified. Leaves you with quite a lot of gold in the end. Helps you quickly progress against any targets below 20m
    ????? I'm guessing in the trade channel since you cant sell unidentified items on the AH.

Did your DPS go up or down when you equipped Skorn? Your sheet DPS says 66k which is fairly low, especially with the Skorn. Getting a better crit gem will help. In fact, upgrading all of your gems will help by a fair bit. I would dump your inna's radiance, it is fairly bad and try and get a mempo or andarials helm with higher dex. Also, drop dashing strike and pick up wave of light:empowered wave. Bells are how monks kill enemies these days.

Shoulder, neck, gloves and wrist can all be crafted to make BiS gear. It can take some funds to get something good but it may be a cheaper way to get some better gear. I just bought the mats needed off the AH (they're cheaper now).

While you likely won't be able to match my gear it may give you some things to look for. Oddly it says my sheet dps is 199k which it isn't in game so I'm not sure where that number is coming from.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B...4/hero/7480753
    You said that your sheet DPS is not 199k. Can I ask what it is in game.

I am at 205k with an Echo Fury and a Won Kim Lau. Was wondering myself whether a Skorn would do more damage then the dual wield combination.

And also whether it is a red gem or Green gem that best benefits the weapon damage from the bell.

My dps went up 16k when I equipped Skorn. I have what I have cause it's all I can afford. I currently only have like 60k in gold.

Dashing Strike was just something I was testing out last night.

If I can barely upgrade my gear, my gems will never be upgraded. I can't afford anything better then what I got.
    Are you upgrading your gems? It can get pricey quickly but you should be swimming in gems if you run inferno, enough to easily upgrade a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Klein View Post
    You said that your sheet DPS is not 199k. Can I ask what it is in game.

I am at 205k with an Echo Fury and a Won Kim Lau. Was wondering myself whether a Skorn would do more damage then the dual wield combination.

And also whether it is a red gem or Green gem that best benefits the weapon damage from the bell.
    I thought it was lower than that. If I remember it should be in the 160kish range but maybe I got some upgrades I don't remember. I haven't played in a bit (month or so).

In regards to your question, it really depends on what weapons you have versus what DPS on your Skorn is. A lot of people swear by the 2*1handers because you attack faster which means more life steal. On the other hand people like Skorn because it is bigger damage from more crit. (For example: With the 100 crit gem + 200% crit on my skorn, the weapon alone gives me 300% crit damage which would costs billions to get on 2*1 handers)

This same rule applies to the gem. I actually asked the same question in another thread and what I was told was that a red gem is better because the damage of your bells uses the red gem so they are much bigger. That being said, I liked using the green gem better as my gear is not so good that the additional crit damage seemed to keep me alive more. It was also more damage by about 5k on my "sheet" DPS which is likely wrong since it can't computer bell damage.

Deleted
    (For example: With the 100 crit gem + 200% crit on my skorn, the weapon alone gives me 300% crit damage which would costs billions to get on 2*1 handers)
    Absolutely not. My character, which I haven't played in a couple months, gets like 331% crit damage from weapons alone running two 1Hs; even if you disregard the marquise gems which admittedly are pretty pricey and go with 100 ones instead (20m~ each) you'd still get 311% - I don't know whether you play on EU or US but I sniped both those on 1d12h, one for like 60m and the other for 25m. Obviously they're both worth way, way more than that, probably around 100-200m each but point being, even if they both cost 200m that's still 400m which is FAR from "billions". They also amount up to 5.7% LS which is very likely more than what you can get out of an equally priced Skorn. I've seen even better deals, 1050 3% LS 60%+ CHD and 100+ dex swords etc for less than 100m that get sniped basically instantly, you just need to study the market for a while until you know exactly what is underpriced and what isn't as soon as they get posted - I did that for about a week an hour or so a day and towards the end I was flipping for profit while searching for weapons for myself and wound up with like +500m overall.

I've not played with a 2H since I hit Paragon 100 and stopped TRing completely (finally) so I can't really give an unbiased opinion on what's better or most efficient. I personally hate the spiky life steal from 2H bell spec and prefer the constant flow of HP return you get from playing with 1handers.

Only point I wanted to make is that it doesn't cost nearly that much to get enough crit out of 1H to make them able to at least rival if not beat skorns in terms of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    Absolutely not. My character, which I haven't played in a couple months, gets like 331% crit damage from weapons alone running two 1Hs; even if you disregard the marquise gems which admittedly are pretty pricey and go with 100 ones instead (20m~ each) you'd still get 311% - I don't know whether you play on EU or US but I sniped both those on 1d12h, one for like 60m and the other for 25m. Obviously they're both worth way, way more than that, probably around 100-200m each but point being, even if they both cost 200m that's still 400m which is FAR from "billions". They also amount up to 5.7% LS which is very likely more than what you can get out of an equally priced Skorn. I've seen even better deals, 1050 3% LS 60%+ CHD and 100+ dex swords etc for less than 100m that get sniped basically instantly, you just need to study the market for a while until you know exactly what is underpriced and what isn't as soon as they get posted - I did that for about a week an hour or so a day and towards the end I was flipping for profit while searching for weapons for myself and wound up with like +500m overall.

I've not played with a 2H since I hit Paragon 100 and stopped TRing completely (finally) so I can't really give an unbiased opinion on what's better or most efficient. I personally hate the spiky life steal from 2H bell spec and prefer the constant flow of HP return you get from playing with 1handers.

Only point I wanted to make is that it doesn't cost nearly that much to get enough crit out of 1H to make them able to at least rival if not beat skorns in terms of that.
    Ok, so you would spend 100+ million on those weapons. The skorn I'm wearing I bought for 2 mil. So for a new character like the OP who doesn't have a lot of money which works better? Sure, if you want to spend hundreds of millions on your weapon yes, you can match a skorn but I personally had to do my gear set for around 25-50 mil which yielded me 200k DPS for half what you spent on your weapons alone. Not everyone has tons of cash floating around and as you said, you haven't played in a couple of months, prices are just getting more and more obscene.

Are you upgrading your gems? It can get pricey quickly but you should be swimming in gems if you run inferno, enough to easily upgrade a few.
    Actually I barely see any gems as I farm. I have gotten several upgrades from the recipes. My damage is around 90k now.

Actually I barely see any gems as I farm. I have gotten several upgrades from the recipes. My damage is around 90k now.
    That's odd, I've got boatloads of them. I even stopped picking them up at this point because I've got nearly the best available.