Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    What I didn't like about Mists of Pandaria:

-The asian theme. Sure, it's well done and the zones are gorgeous. But it just gets old really fast. I signed up for a tolkien-like world and now there are pandas all over.

-The lore. I can't bring myself to care at all about any of the raid instances. I don't care about any of the bosses or their history. I find there's just a lot of new characters that don't have nearly as much backstory as Illidan or Arthas.

-The horrible gating of everything behind reputation and the slow rates of Valor acquisition. That made it hell to do on my main, and impossible on my alt without tearing my eyes out. What I enjoyed the most about Cata was the ability to have several characters raid ready so I could switch on the fly depending on what my guild needed. But now with the huge ilvl gaps and the removal of any decent catchup mechanic, my alts won't see endgame content until next expansion if I reroll.

-LFR being considered the catchup mechanic for alts. I've farmed those damn raids for months already, the last thing I want is to do it again.

-Lack of five-mans. In 4.3 I enjoyed running the HoT heroics. I would run them again and again because I liked their lore and atmosphere. But I just don't care about the heroics we have. Not only are there really few of them, they are mostly boring trash packs with the bosses being glorified elites. Makes alts even MORE of a chore.

-Did I mention alts are a pain in the ass?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only mistake they did in MoP is the daily quest grind. If they changed it back to tabards MoP would be pretty much perfect, except that they should have made HC dungeons harder, like they were back in TBC and early Cata.

Deleted
    For me it's these (most are already mentioned).

1) Dead servers. When there's no one playing on your server, you can't really play the game. The good thing is that this is finally gonna be fixed in the next patch, which I'm looking forward to.

2) The incredible alt hostility of this expansion. The grind and the difficulty of it. This goes for both pvp and pve by the way. In the last patch of cataclysm it was just perfect for alt players. Now it takes too much time to get valor points. The cataclysm system was miles better.

3) Pvp. Long queues, pointless gating and the stupid grind. I don't know what they were smoking when they made this arena system. 10 victories a week takes aaaaaaggggeees to finish with your average 50% win rate. Specially when you try to gear up your alts for pvp as well. It's just too much of a hassle. When it was 5 wins per week or 10 GAMES per week to get conquest points, it was good.

4) The story. While the mechanics of storytelling have been better than ever before, the story itself just... isn't interesting. I don't care about what Lao shin woo or Qui Gon Jin are doing. I don't care about pandas, mogus or those flying bugs. They just aren't interesting and feel out of place for Wow.

5) Dailies. They are good when they are meant for vanity stuff & mounts and OPTIONAL way of gearing. Now they just made it too mandatory. A way to fix it would been to make reputation account wide.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    What I didn't like about Mists of Pandaria:

-The asian theme. Sure, it's well done and the zones are gorgeous. But it just gets old really fast. I signed up for a tolkien-like world and now there are pandas all over.

-The lore. I can't bring myself to care at all about any of the raid instances. I don't care about any of the bosses or their history. I find there's just a lot of new characters that don't have nearly as much backstory as Illidan or Arthas.

-The horrible gating of everything behind reputation and the slow rates of Valor acquisition. That made it hell to do on my main, and impossible on my alt without tearing my eyes out. What I enjoyed the most about Cata was the ability to have several characters raid ready so I could switch on the fly depending on what my guild needed. But now with the huge ilvl gaps and the removal of any decent catchup mechanic, my alts won't see endgame content until next expansion if I reroll.

-LFR being considered the catchup mechanic for alts. I've farmed those damn raids for months already, the last thing I want is to do it again.

-Lack of five-mans. In 4.3 I enjoyed running the HoT heroics. I would run them again and again because I liked their lore and atmosphere. But I just don't care about the heroics we have. Not only are there really few of them, they are mostly boring trash packs with the bosses being glorified elites. Makes alts even MORE of a chore.

-Did I mention alts are a pain in the ass?
    I just want to say if you signed up for Tolkien you're playing the wrong game.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Dailies, uninspired PVP, and Rated BG's fizzling out (lack of interest, win trading, etc.)...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Problems with MoP:
    1: Very alt unfriendly. Takes ages to gear up. In Cata you could easily have 2-3 alts geared for end-game content, in MoP people rarely have a single alt geared for end-game.
    Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on that seeing as 3 people with active alts actually managed to hit ToT LFR the day they dinged 90, maybe you should try harder?

2: Scenarios suck bigtime... Heroic scenarios suck even more, because you can random-queue for them, and they rarely (going towards never) drop any loot in the daily-box.
    Do you mean "Can't random queu for them"? That's a good thing atleast there trying to encourage at least a little bit of community after LFR and LFD destroyed most of it. Also the Valor is the reward 516's are just a bonus.

3: Heroic 5mans are as easy as WotLK... Initial Cata were good, when you were in greens.. We liked those.. TBC heroics were even better (as in harder) but too many would probably whine over that difficulty)
    Initial Cataclysm Heroics were good, however since LFD destroyed any incentive to socialize and form groups, people just random queued for them and were met with disapointment when "Casual/Baddie Joe" didn't know he had CC/Interrupts/whatever. As for BC level heroics, I would pay money just to watch people whining "It's too hard nerf now plz, I can't spend every second of the day on this game to develop the skill I need to do these" on the forums, even if for only a day.

4: Raids. THEY SUCK.. Yes, you read right. They really really suck.. Bland color palette.. Horrible graphics.. Annoying gimmick fights.. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TRASH..
    Sure I can't stand the Asian theme of them, but the only super gimmicky fights I've seen so far were Dark Animus and Amber Shaper (Both can rot in Hell.) However, I do like mechanics such as H Vizier Attenuation and the Durumu Maze, it's nice to see mechanics that actually don't punish melee. I wouldn't say any of the MoP raids are in my top 5 personally, but they certainly beat everything Cataclysm spewed out.

5: No flying until level 90, and no flying AT ALL on Isle of Thunder/Giants/Timeless.. RETARDED.
    I actually like that, alot. The World PvP During the race to 90 was extraordinarily fun, as is PvP on IoT, call it retarded if you want, but obviously you never experienced PreBC, such a shame, really.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Who knows. If he joined in during WTLK, it was pretty close to Tolkein well pretty close or a different interpretation. I joined during WTLK, and I was looking for something that was close to the world of Tolkein.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP has exceeded all of my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    Well kinda childish to be throwing the word "retarded" around when you contradict yourself.

You mention LFR. Each wing takes around an hour minimum and that is on those rare occasions you get a good group. Most run for a bit longer. So if you have 2-3+ alts, that is a lot of time to be sitting in a LFR queue and then to actually run the damn thing.

Previous expansions didn't really have LFR. So all the time was spent running Heroic dungeons which were faster with an organised group and even in PUGs. And you also had easy access to last tier's gear.

And regarding dailies, you actually have to be honored and exalted to spend those Valor Points and Justice Points most times. So you do have to do dailies.

So well I'll just say you are an idiot who doesn't know what you are talking about.
    I have 3 alts which I run lfr , all was max lfr+vp+crafted geared in 10weeks, and +2 weeks to geared them for tot lfr I can easy jump into any ToT normal pug, the problem there is no ToT pugs on my servers coz other people are lazy do it and instead whine how life sucks
    about wait time, for tanks and healers it's not really problem, also can do dailes or farm rares for coins, do pet battes, farm mats meanwhile etc..
    also instead of this heroics u mention I can runs same lfr or scenarios or hc scenario, I also don't like idea they not put new dung in game but anyway

but wahtever think what you want but for me mop is 150% more alt friendly then others expansions

I could care less about alts. I usually only play a main and that's more than enough for me. To me this expansion was good.
    But.... I would've hated it if not for OpenRaid. I think that says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Tolkien wrote high fantasy. World of Warcraft is high fantasy. So... yeah.

Or at least, the two worlds felt much closer in Wrath which had IMO the best lore.

My 2 cents here, cause i feel the discussion may be worth it... My feelings are quiet afar from the alts debate, in 8 years i never felt like leveling alts is a plus to the game, for how i see it, ppl play the game because, essentially, they like ONE class, than may be curious to play a different style, but the essence of mmos is the "identification" with your main, to a class and the feeling of unique it may bring; on this side, devs have done tons of mistakes, they have put lot of efforts to banalize classes, to work on one content that may fit all, and in this there is all the answers about the constant decline of the game, despite the quality of the content may be growing.

The work done in the beginning of the expansion on the warlock class brought a lot of excitement, than, with the firing of the only employee that seemed to keep in touch with its class community all has stopped, nerf and retouch brought the class back to its flat DPS-not-sodifferent-from-the-others and i lost interest again, leaving the game again (but still subscribing...i love the game, in the end)

So, to summarize, class banalization is my answer to what is wrong with the aging of the game, continous tuning "down" the special things each class has to not hurt balance, continous patch notes to achieve homogenization. I do not think this is going to change, cause this seems to be devs team philosofy, the firing of the only voice out the mass stand there, as a reminder to not think different, and i doubt Blizz will be able to change this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Oh but I completed this on my main. And? doesn't mean you can play your alt as good as your main.
    False, provided the prestige achievement in question was legitimately earned and not carried thru then yes, it means you can play as good if not better.

Good players only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    I have 3 alts which I run lfr , all was max lfr+vp+crafted geared in 10weeks, and +2 weeks to geared them for tot lfr I can easy jump into any ToT normal pug, the problem there is no ToT pugs on my servers coz other people are lazy do it and instead whine how life sucks
    about wait time, for tanks and healers it's not really problem, also can do dailes or farm rares for coins, do pet battes, farm mats meanwhile etc..
    also instead of this heroics u mention I can runs same lfr or scenarios or hc scenario, I also don't like idea they not put new dung in game but anyway

but wahtever think what you want but for me mop is 150% more alt friendly then others expansions
    So lemme see you say it took you 12 weeks in total to get you geared. That is roughly 3+ months. If that isn't a long enough time, then I don't really know what you consider a "long" time. In Cata you could practically be geared for raids in a weeks time. It took me literally 2 days for my fresh level 85 to be geared and ready to raid DS Heroic. And let me remind you that was without any crafted pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    Tolkien wrote high fantasy. World of Warcraft is high fantasy. So... yeah.

Or at least, the two worlds felt much closer in Wrath which had IMO the best lore.
    Exactly my point. I didn't really join WoW for WoW. I joined cause it was the closest thing, well at least WTLK and Northrend was the closest thing to Tolkien's high fantasy world of Middle Earth.

I believe it is a horrible community, which has gone downhill over a period of time.
    The subs did not drop just with MoP.

New and inexperienced players often have a horrible experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    So lemme see you say it took you 12 weeks in total to get you geared. That is roughly 3+ months. If that isn't a long enough time, then I don't really know what you consider a "long" time. In Cata you could practically be geared for raids in a weeks time. It took me literally 2 days for my fresh level 85 to be geared and ready to raid DS Heroic. And let me remind you that was without any crafted pieces.
    oh u so pro and you have 24 ppl `method's skill level` to boost you through DS lfr normal and FL , and farm whole days troll and twilights hcs for exactly piece of gear, really fucking belivable

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    oh u so pro and you have 24 ppl `method's skill level` to boost you through DS lfr normal and FL , and farm whole days troll and twilights hcs for exactly piece of gear, really fucking belivable
    I did not understand at all what you just wrote. But, to confirm what Ebonheart said, I would usually be DS Heroic ready within a weekend of dinging 85 in Cata on an alt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't like having to gear up alts though LFR.

Some problems as I see them:

1) Grind. They greatly reduced the rate of VP acquisition (probably to force people to "get out into the world".) And that legendary quest chain!

2) Casual guilds have very little reason to exist.

3) The worst thing a storyteller can hear: "I don't care about any of your characters."

4) Gap between LFR and normal was too big. This was a big part of the cause of 2.

5) Casual PvP seems to have taken a big hit. I blame the near worthlessness of honor points once you've bought all the honor gear you need (unless you're an enchanter); also, faction imbalance seems to have gone over some threshold of tolerability.

6) New mechanics introduced (pet battles, scenarios) were not compelling (although your mileage may vary.)

Going forward, the large number of ex-players is going to be a drag on the game. Early on, if a prospective player asked friends about WoW, they'd either get "yeah, I'm playing it on XYZ server, why don't you join me?" or "I haven't tried it yet." Now, they're more likely to get "I used to play it, but I stopped because ...", which is much less likely to get someone to sign up.

Oh, and one thing that REALLY creeped me out:

7) Pandarian children
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2013-07-27 at 02:58 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I think some people may be onto something about the story as well, though not because "it's Asian and has Pandas". As mentioned previously, I've wanted Pandaren for years and I find Asian themes as interesting as any other, but even I had a problem with the story and setting. For all the reasons the naysayers were wrong, I feel like a few things slipped through somehow anyway.

I think a huge problem is just how isolated Pandaria was. Yes, it is significant to the plot, but I don't think it worked. First of all, it meant that Pandaria was accentuated as something inherently different, when it shouldn't have needed to be (considering how many cultures Warcraft already borrows from). Then, the fact that the only interaction between Pandaria and everything else we know happened far in the past, means that there was little for us to relate to in the context of Warcraft. This got worse, however, in that I feel Blizzard failed to integrate Pandaria after our arrival as well. In other words, the problem wasn't that the theme was Asian, the problem was that the theme was treated as out of place even in universe.

The Pandaren don't feel like another anthropomorphic Warcraft race. Even the Pandaren that join the factions don't feel like they fit, especially the Horde ones. How any Pandaren thought joining Garrosh's Horde was a good idea baffles me. They feel like a bunch of fourth wall-breaking, impartial judges referencing the implications of the war and stuff, instead of being, you know, a race that lives on Azeroth like everyone else. I agree that the Alliance and Horde shouldn't have to be fighting, but it means that the Pandaren never feel like they're part of the larger world, but are instead some kind of weird observers, even as we're doing quests to save their land. Again, in the context of the story, it has its justifications, but it only served to make them stand out, instead of fit in, and it really doesn't make sense once we start interfering.

Then there was the whole joke race controversy which... well, they were spawned from a joke, then Blizzard developed them in supplemental material... then comes Mists of Pandaria and... well, honestly I see them as a joke race. We just came off an expansion where we saw the end of the world, and narrowly averted it. What do we do next? Well, we start out by running headfirst into a terrible war. Okay, that's fine. But then the war gets put on pause while we wait for the rest of the fleet. Then... well, we kinda just go on vacation, helping the locals. The Sha are a threat, but most zones aren't really about urgently needing to stop them. In fact, there's almost an entire zone dedicated to helping farmers (one of whom is an over-the-top stereotype) make beer and chase off rabbits. Now, there's nothing wrong with a breather zone in a serious conflict, but only the very beginning and very end ever felt anywhere close to serious (and both are almost completely devoid of Pandaren).

Then they really bumbled with the Alliance and Horde war. I missed a lot of the details, but I do know a couple of things. Downgrading Varian's trials to a couple of Scenarios that paint him as already awesome and having to teach the other leaders was a bad move. Making the Alliance's half of the rebellion involving a robotic cat instead of, you know, the espionage race that has a vendetta against Garrosh and lives right next door, was really sloppy.

Finally, I remember something they said about Mists of Pandaria was that they were going to spend time seeding new characters for the future, instead of just killing off existing characters, but... who did they really introduce? High profile ones like Malkorok are getting killed anyway. There's quite a few important Pandaren, but, it would seem weird if every important character from now on is a Pandaren, especially with how poorly they've integrated them into the Warcraft universe and the factions so far.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2013-07-27 at 02:19 PM.