Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Not sure if just a canadian thing...hear me out

So I like to buy beer a lot and I go to the liquor store to get it. Its called the LCBO here in Ontario. Every once in a while they will ask you as you are paying for your purchase if you would like to donate to the United Way.

I have no problem donating a toonie but I hate the fact I feel like a dirt bag the next day when I say "No" when there is a bunch of people in line behind me. That 2 dollars is a tallboy of beer and it adds up after a week.

Basically I don't like the idea of being guilted into donating every time I visit the liquor store when they are the ones that get all the glory for that charity organization. Plus I'm already over paying for booze in this province.

I can't be the only one who feels this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    So I like to buy beer a lot and I go to the liquor store to get it. Its called the LCBO here in Ontario. Every once in a while they will ask you as you are paying for your purchase if you would like to donate to the United Way.

I have no problem donating a toonie but I hate the fact I feel like a dirt bag the next day when I say "No" when there is a bunch of people in line behind me. That 2 dollars is a tallboy of beer and it adds up after a week.

Basically I don't like the idea of being guilted into donating every time I visit the liquor store when they are the ones that get all the glory for that charity organization. Plus I'm already over paying for booze in this province.

You're not the only one who feels this way, trust me.

Deleted
    Normaly the best answer to donation and begging is the Empty Pockets gesture while being silent. Best way to say no to Junkies from my experience.

Or shaking the Head slightly while pinching your lips together. You are even too poor for Words.

Seriously if you are not rich you can make more money while begging if organized crime doesnt step in :X

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I just gave the cashier a 20 for my 6 pack and I'm getting 11 dollars back and they are asking if I want to donate 2/5/10 dollars each time. I hate looking cheap in front of people.

I'm Canadian, dirty Albertan, but still I won't do any of those little donation jars or whatever, or when people ask me "would you like to donate $1 to blahblah of blahblah." No, I don't want to. If anyone has a shit, I'll tell them why. I have the charities I donate to and I do it at a time of my choosing.

My typical response though is "not today, thanks"...since it doesn't really sound as harsh as "no" or "fuck off."
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'm Canadian, dirty Albertan, but still I won't do any of those little donation jars or whatever, or when people ask me "would you like to donate $1 to blahblah of blahblah." No, I don't want to. If anyone has a shit, I'll tell them why. I have the charities I donate to and I do it at a time of my choosing.

My typical response though is "not today, thanks"...since it doesn't really sound as harsh as "no" or "fuck off."
    I miss Alberta so much...no sales tax

I miss Alberta so much...no sales tax
    Canada rocks, but idk why anyone would want to live in any other province than here...aside from the occasional trucknutz and the wild rose party. But they can be ignored.

15+ Year Old Account
    A gas station was doing this to me...asking me tot donate money to some charity. The first time I donated a buck. It's funny cause it's like...what are they going to say? They need more? Then they look ungrateful.

The next time they asked I said no. I don't need to give them any more money, they already got the buck! It's a nice little tactic where you can say to yourself "well I already gave something, so I don't have to feel guilty." In fact you can literally say to the "oh, I already donated yesterday". Hell, you could even say that if it's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Normaly the best answer to donation and begging is the Empty Pockets gesture while being silent.
    Would be funny if someone did this and then a bunch of gold coins fell out.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best you can do is to ask your city council to ban it. Its immoral from my standards. And who knows how much % of that money will go to shop pocket instead of charity.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I always say no, or just ignore them. No need to feel bad about it. The cashier is only asking because it is his/her job. Not because they actually care and if they do care, they are welcome to put their own money in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    I always say no, or just ignore them. No need to feel bad about it. The cashier is only asking because it is his/her job. Not because they actually care and if they do care, they are welcome to put their own money in.
    The worst part is when they don't ask you but ask the person in front of you and the person behind you. LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada rocks, but idk why anyone would want to live in any other province than here...aside from the occasional trucknutz and the wild rose party. But they can be ignored.
    Take me with you. Saskatchewan is the most horrible depressing place in this whole god damn frozen country.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Take me with you. Saskatchewan is the most horrible depressing place in this whole god damn frozen country.
    Just get in the car and drive west until you can't see your house on the horizon anymore. Should only take about 14 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post

I lived in Saskatoon for 2 years too. I feel your pain.

I have never been asked to donate to anything at the LCBO. Although my local LCBO employees are not the most joyous and involved people ever. But I do know what you are talking about. No matter where I am, if I am asked to donate to a "insert charity type here" charity repeatedly I feel like a bastard if I dont. I actually have avoided certain stores so I dont have to say no. It really does start adding up over the course of a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get in the car and drive west until you can't see your house on the horizon anymore. Should only take about 14 hours.
    I wish this wasn't so true. You can see the flashing light on the top of the town's cellphone tower for like 50km if you drive north. Because north is nothing but a fucking billion acres of canola being grown. No trees, no hills, just canola.

Now pretend those green trees in the background don't exist.
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2013-07-29 at 10:01 PM.

I lived in Saskatoon for 2 years too. I feel your pain.
    looool, S'toon! I have a good handful of gaming buddies who live there.

Just don't hitchhike to Alberta.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-07-29 at 10:03 PM.

Just say no, but then add in " I already donate to a charity of my choice, thank you"

10+ Year Old Account
    looool, S'toon! I have a good handful of gaming buddies who live there.

Just don't hitchhike to Alberta.
    Does Saskatoon even have internet?

I miss Alberta, but isn't a better sign of being in Alberta is when you can't see a single tree anymore?