Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Is 12 lbs in a month doable?

This might sound a little shallow but college starts in about a month for me and I want to be in perfect shape for that, to give a good first impression and not to be remembered as the "fat chick". Im still 12 pounds too heavy for my ideal weight and been working really hard to achieve but lately I've dropped my daily calories to around 1000 and have been feeling nauseous and odd. I know it's only temporary and although I dont exactly feel hungry most of the time, it's still concerning. I felt fine on 1500 calories but I don't have a lot of time left and I plan on drinking quite a bit which would make it much harder to count the calories:P

Increase your calorie take back up to 1500 and work out more. If you are not feeling well from not eating you aren't doing it right. Running is the best way to shed weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's uh....really excessive. In order to do that you'd need a deficit of at least 10k calories a week, which is outright starvation.

No. Don't do that. 12lbs heavier than you should be isn't very much and you can work that off in a few months easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    This might sound a little shallow but college starts in about a month for me and I want to be in perfect shape for that, to give a good first impression and not to be remembered as the "fat chick". Im still 12 pounds too heavy for my ideal weight and been working really hard to achieve but lately I've dropped my daily calories to around 1000 and have been feeling nauseous and odd. I know it's only temporary and although I dont exactly feel hungry most of the time, it's still concerning. I felt fine on 1500 calories but I don't have a lot of time left and I plan on drinking quite a bit which would make it much harder to count the calories:P
    Its totally doable I lost 40 pounds in 3 months last summer. How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by dahorror View Post
    Yeah but you were probably fucking huge to start with. Weight falls off fat people when they start eating right. Someone who's only 12 "overweight" is only going to lose that weight in 1 month in an unhealthy way.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Uh, 5'7, 159 lb. I got pretty small frame though.

1000 calories isn't healthy and can actually have the opposite effect to the one you're looking for. It depends on your starting point I guess, I mean for someone at 250lbs it's easy to lose 12lbs, but for someone at 140lbs that's significantly more challenging, but it SHOULD be doable if you're willing to bust your ass in whatever way you exercise - an extra 15-20m per day could make a difference.

However if you're really serious about it, "I plan on drinking quite a bit" is where you'll go wrong, there's a reason a ton of professional athletes tend not to be the "lets go get wasted" types, I know it's college & stuff, but it's still stuff you'd have to work off somewhere down the line and ultimately the booze will make things significantly more difficult. (high, empty calories, increased risk of "meh, I can't be bothered" or inability to workout) I'd say 12lbs isn't that bad though, could just be me, but I'd rather have someone 12lbs from their ideal weight than the shallow person who thinks a mightly 12lbs is the difference between being accepted & being rejected.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

You should consume about 1,377 calories a day to reach your goal weight of 147 lbs by September 07, 2013. stay consistant but its kinda aggressive and if you start feeling like shit I recommend only doing 2 pounds a week but that's how you will be able to get to your goal weight. And that's with excersise atleast 5 times a week. Trust me once you get into it youll never stop. Fitness has become a lifestyle for me I went from never doing anything to working out like ealmost everyday and its so refreshing and a good stress reliever.

edit: btw since im assuming your metabolism is not good you should spread your meals out if possible to 5 to 6 meals but keep the same calories so have like breakfast lunch dinner and like 2 snacks but equal to 1300~ calories a day. Also try to drink 1 gallon of water per day to speed up your metabolism. Koodledrum is right if your not getting enough food your body will store fat because it goes into a starvation mode so eat clean and stay healthy and youll see results
    Last edited by dahorror; 2013-07-27 at 06:17 PM.

Deleted
    Make sure you drink 2L of water every day, eat 5 times a day, big breakfast, normal lunch, small dinner with 2 healthy snacks of fruit or something inbetween. Try to cut out processed carbs (except for your breakfast cereal). Finally, most important of all - go to the gym and do cardio (heart rate 150-170 for someone your age) for 1 hr every day.

Remember, it's not the weight, it's how it's distributed.

10+ Year Old Account
    They only way you lost that much weight very quickly is if you were already obese. 12lbs over your ideal weight is hardly close to overweight, much less obese.

OP: just give it time. Your calorie intake is way too low and the signs of sickness are exactly that: starvation. You need to eat a healthy balanced diet of at least 1,500 calories and exercise. You'll see the weight drop off in no time.

Eat plenty of protein and fat fish. 1000 calories is only an issue if you neglect nutrition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    1000 calories isn't healthy and can actually have the opposite effect to the one you're looking for. It depends on your starting point I guess, I mean for someone at 250lbs it's easy to lose 12lbs, but for someone at 140lbs that's significantly more challenging, but it SHOULD be doable if you're willing to bust your ass in whatever way you exercise - an extra 15-20m per day could make a difference.

However if you're really serious about it, "I plan on drinking quite a bit" is where you'll go wrong, there's a reason a ton of professional athletes tend not to be the "lets go get wasted" types, I know it's college & stuff, but it's still stuff you'd have to work off somewhere down the line and ultimately the booze will make things significantly more difficult. (high, empty calories, increased risk of "meh, I can't be bothered" or inability to workout) I'd say 12lbs isn't that bad though, could just be me, but I'd rather have someone 12lbs from their ideal weight than the shallow person who thinks a mightly 12lbs is the difference between being accepted & being rejected.
    Well, I never wanted to be an athlete and never wanted to do any body building in any sense of the word but I still have quite a few fat rolls left and I started from 175 lb which is pretty big, I think..

Its not really about being accepted, I think Im odd enough and being overweight on top of that isn't very good Besides I want to be small and cute not "that big chick".

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They only way you lost that much weight very quickly is if you were already obese. 12lbs over your ideal weight is hardly close to overweight, much less obese.

OP: just give it time. Your calorie intake is way too low and the signs of sickness are exactly that: starvation. You need to eat a healthy balanced diet of at least 1,500 calories and exercise. You'll see the weight drop off in no time.
    I was 212 I went to 173 as 6 feet tall I wouldn't say iwas obese but my metabolism is super high I ate roughly 6k calories a day while being overweight but I didn't look like a fat person. I just worked out 5 days a week and ate 0 fast food sugars or sweets and stopped drinking for 3 months not hard lol.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's uh....really excessive. In order to do that you'd need a deficit of at least 10k calories a week, which is outright starvation.

No. Don't do that. 12lbs heavier than you should be isn't very much and you can work that off in a few months easily.
    Why starvation? It might be tight and 12lbs loss is probably not to be expected but there's no need for starvation.

Reduce your calorie intake with 500 a day. That's 3500 Less a week. Do cardio for 500-750 a day. We're up at 3500 + 3500 (5250) = 7000 (8750) a week. It is also nothing wrong with that. Totally healthy, been doing so for over longer periods, health status has never been better, stamina has increase tremendously, fat % reduced aswell.

You can even go as low as reducing it with 650-700. Although I'd recommend you talk with a doctor if you're going that low, and you would require a healthy diet, not a half crap one you cast within a second or two. But it's doable.

I'd say go with -500 and cardio.

Look up the Ketosis diet, (basically limit carbs intake) 12 pounds a month would be piss easy.

Deleted

I know what you must be thinking but Im very down to earth and although I can get obsessed over something easily I'm not anorectic or anything. Its just that once college starts it will be really hard to keep track of it and keep losing weight as I have will have too many other things to worry about and I want to be social too (and drinks give plenty of extra calories)

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbeard View Post
    Make sure you drink 2L of water every day, eat 5 times a day, big breakfast, normal lunch, small dinner with 2 healthy snacks of fruit or something inbetween. Try to cut out processed carbs (except for your breakfast cereal). Finally, most important of all - go to the gym and do cardio (heart rate 150-170 for someone your age) for 1 hr every day.

Remember, it's not the weight, it's how it's distributed.
    Why eat 5 times a day? Doesn't really matter, the fact about that was a huge MYTH. It really depends on the person. I feel more full with 2-3 meals than 5 lesser.

(A heart rate og 150-170 would result into muscle burn, just for your information).

- - - Updated - - -

I know what you must be thinking but Im very down to earth and although I can get obsessed over something easily I'm not anorectic or anything. Its just that once college starts it will be really hard to keep track of it and keep losing weight as I have will have too many other things to worry about and I want to be social too (and drinks give plenty of extra calories)
    Social? You can party without booze. Fill your bottle with water and there you go, your friends wont notice you're drunk from the alcohol they've been drinking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoboRanger View Post
    Look up the Ketosis diet, (basically limit carbs intake) 12 pounds a month would be piss easy.
    I know, the diet is not a problem, I can easily go without eating at all for weeks, if I wanted to, which I dont. I can get pretty fanatical about my goals.. Im just concerned about feeling nauseous after being on 1000 kcal diet for 3 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Social? You can party without booze. Fill your bottle with water and there you go, your friends wont notice you're drunk from the alcohol they've been drinking
    Haha, I know but I think thats not a good idea. Im already a vegetarian and dont smoke and wont touch any narcotics. I Guess getting drunk is the only non-healthy habit I have left and I kinda want to keep it

I wish I could send you a pm but I haven't reached a post count since I only made an account to help you out lol but myfitnesspal.com is the best website its free it counts carbs fats proteins and it gives you a dialy calorie goal for your own personal goal its quick fast and effective tons of people I know use it including my self (its hard to keep count of eating 375 g of carbs and 280 g of protein a day lol) that be my advice to start with

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, I know but I think thats not a good idea. Im already a vegetarian and dont smoke and wont touch any narcotics. I Guess getting drunk is the only non-healthy habit I have left and I kinda want to keep it
    It's either the dream body or the social life. Really, nobody is going to look down on you if you're not drinking.