Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question (RET) ClC ret, worth using?

Hey all, I am a new ret pally after switching over from my druid. After doing some research i noticed an addon CLC ret which i have been using since i began playing my pally. What do you guys think of this addon? Is it beneficial or detrimental to my play? Thanks for reading and providing feedback!

Since you just switched to ret I would definitely recommend using it until you feel very comfortable with your rotation and ability priorities. The Ret pally in my guild doesn't use it, but he's been playing for a very long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im comfortable without it now, but i still keep it on as if i have to do something and lose track of where i was i can easily get back on track. I rarely look at it anymore. Its also nice to see the inq sign out of the corner of my eye and know to refresh it but i kinda know without even looking based on timing and feeling. For new players its one of the best addons i ever downloaded.

addons that play the game for you is never worth using. Only way to get good at a class is to learn the rotation and keep at it.

I like using it, but I'm not confident enough without it. Like any tool, it has its uses but don't blindly follow it. From what I recall even Theck uses it.

Since I only off spec ret and almost never play it any raid more complicated than LFR I have used clcret for a while. Just make sure you adjust the priority list to what's the current recommended string instead of using what comes out of the box.

It's not a bad add on, it doesn't play the game for you. Tons of paladins use it and it's only barely more hand holdy than a ton of weakaura strings or bar configurations that flash big things in your face when it's time to push a button.

If you want another option Revvo here on the forums has posted his weakauras which are amazing and do require a little more thinking about what button to hit.

It's very hard (for me) to pick a new class and just 'get good' at the rotation without something helping me along. The other option is staring at my action bars which is never good.
    Living the casual life, oh yeah.

Good to start with, then you should really play by muscle memory and awareness.
    Always nice to play the game yourself, instead of staring at a little box half of the time.

If you (or your RL) have any problems with your dps or awareness then its worth using.
    Last edited by Vasya111; 2013-07-29 at 04:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Simba View Post
    Hey all, I am a new ret pally after switching over from my druid. After doing some research i noticed an addon CLC ret which i have been using since i began playing my pally. What do you guys think of this addon? Is it beneficial or detrimental to my play? Thanks for reading and providing feedback!
    Beneficial. If you want to try prot spec as well, get CLC Prot. You'll never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    addons that play the game for you is never worth using. Only way to get good at a class is to learn the rotation and keep at it.
    You're talking about bots which isn't the case here. And I bet you play with the default interface and absolutely no addon at all.

That hypocrisy...

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    If you want to try prot spec as well, get CLC Prot. You'll never look back.
    Isnt clcprot terribly outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by Vasya111 View Post
    Yes but it still seems to work without issue.

Deleted
    The reason clc ret was first developed was because the Ret Paladin rotation at the time worked on a First Come First Serve (FCFS) basis. I.E. there was no defined roation and at time it was preferable to wait on a cd than use something else and envoke a global cd.

The ret rotations moved a little away from that now but clc ret is still useful. The prot rotation is very basic and i don't really see the need for clc prot.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    The reason clc ret was first developed was because the Ret Paladin rotation at the time worked on a First Come First Serve (FCFS) basis. I.E. there was no defined roation and at time it was preferable to wait on a cd than use something else and envoke a global cd.
    FCFS means that you dont wait on a cd, but use highest priority skill thats not on cd. And ret rotation still didnt move away from that.

There is absolutely no reason not to use it as long as you can use your brain to decide when to move away from it. For example, when you need to aoe - like killing bats on Tortos perhaps - you need to be able to ignore CLCRet and use an aoe-centric rotation that still focuses single target damage on Tortos.

Not using addons because they are "crutches", or any other misnomeric emotional response against them, means you put yourself at a disadvantage. You shouldn't stop using CLCRet because you think you can rely on your muscle memory; your muscle memory will never be as good as a computer at telling you what the standard rotation is.

TL;DR: As long as you have the capacity to ignore it when you should, you should always use CLCRet or something of the same ilk.

Deleted
    It's a very handy addon for tracking stuff like the durations of Inquisition, dps cooldowns or procs (such as the 4pT15 set bonus). And that's what it's best for - tracking, making it easier to see what's going on without having to search for your buffs and procs from among two dozen other buff icons in a raid situation.

Your actual rotation should come from yourself, without anyone or anything having to tell you what button to press or when.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    There is absolutely no reason not to use it as long as you can use your brain to decide when to move away from it. For example, when you need to aoe - like killing bats on Tortos perhaps - you need to be able to ignore CLCRet and use an aoe-centric rotation that still focuses single target damage on Tortos.
    And that's easy enough to do. Knowing the class, when CLC says CS, use HotR. When it says TV, use DS. I haven't configured mine to keep track of additional cooldowns (which is possible), but also remember to use your final tier talent ability on CD, and GoAK/AW as well. It's a very nice addon.

I still have a (very adapted/modified) version of CLCInfo that I run for both Prot and Ret, and I've been playing the class for years. I've adapted the same idea to my other "mains" (Monk, DK) as well, though it's basically just a compact group of TMW icons that track things like Inquisition, ShotR, cooldowns ready/cooldowns active, talents ready/active, and priority abilities ready/active, trinket procs/stacks, ICDs of things, etc. It's kinda grown out of control at this point!

There are lots of ways to configure similar setups; via Revvo's WA thread, which is great, or setting up TMW, which is really fast/easy. You'll learn the cadence, the procs, and the "rotation" via practice, but I still have the HUD showing so that I can follow things like Inq/ShotR, cooldowns, etc. CLCRet (and CLCProt, I assume) are just very user-friendly but very un-adaptable versions of the CLCInfo string/addon, which is great for new users.

I can and do recommend that all new rets/prots use something like this when starting, to get a handle on "good habits" instead of learning/reading bad rotations and muscle memory that they'll have to un-learn later. Just remember, it's only as good as you set it up: Garbage in, garbage out.

And yes, there are TONS on nuances to the Ret and Prot specs that are not/can not be replicated in any addon, such as when to hold CDs/t90, when to line up abilities, etc. That comes from practice and experience. But having that little "metronome" of CLC allows you to be more situationally/spatially aware, and focus on other duties instead of just tunneling your action bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally use CLCRet. When you start using it its a VERY good tool to get used to the rotation. Now that I've gotten used to the rotation I only use it to keep track of Inq. If you're starting to learn Ret's ropes, by all means use it. Once you feel comfortable with our playstyle "cut the cord" and use Revvo's WA string. I haven't brought myself to configure WA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasya111 View Post
    You can manually input your own priority strings in both versions.