Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    http://gw2.kongzhong.com/act/brand/index.html

• Copies Sold: 3 Million Copies Sold.
    • Weekly Active Users: 2.5 Million Active Users per week.
    • Rating by Game Authority IGN: 9/10
    • Average total hours played per day: 508,428 total hours per day.
    • Daily Page Views of Official US GW2 Website: 3 Million Page Views/Day.
    Wow, that's a pretty good ratio of players still playing. I didn't think it was that high.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's literally impossible for that to be unique logins, otherwise GW2 would be proclaiming to the high heavens that they have the most successful MMO ever made. Anything else is conjecture. So to add more conjecture, that equates to roughly 357k unique users logging in every day on average. While this number is surprisingly low, it's much more believable.

More likely they fluctuate anywhere between 200k-750k players due to the nature of B2P games. The longer time period, the more likely the numbers are to increase as several people probably pop in and out of this game. Which is the whole point that everyone worrying about numbers in a B2P game is missing in the first place.

It's honestly why they are developing content the way they do and why the game is generating good revenue for them. They know people are going to come and go, but they hope people spend a fraction of time and money each time they stop by. The only way to do this is to keep the game fresh. People who play regularly will benefit from this content cycle, while returning players always have something new to see, while maintaining the same overall level of power.

Honestly, it's probably the most well conceived and executed strategy for an MMO we've seen yet.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Honestly, it's probably the most well conceived and executed strategy for an MMO we've seen yet.
    It's pretty brilliant, yea.

I suspect we will see this type of strategy in tandem with F2P as the sub based MMOs lessen every year. It seems like the 2 most logical and financially stable models in the current and coming market. Not to mention the natural viability of each platform would offer in the new console cycle. Where traditional sub based models would be hard pressed to crack into, I feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty good ratio of players still playing. I didn't think it was that high.
    it isn't that high, you thought right

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's pretty brilliant, yea.

I suspect we will see this type of strategy in tandem with F2P as the sub based MMOs lessen every year. It seems like the 2 most logical and financially stable models in the current and coming market. Not to mention the natural viability of each platform would offer in the new console cycle. Where traditional sub based models would be hard pressed to crack into, I feel.
    I really never gave it much thought before, but since reflecting on it via this thread...it's really impressive. So many companies are fighting a numbers game, whether they publicly announce it or not, and then this model comes along and proves very succinctly how the combination of B2P (or F2P for that matter) and constant steady updates is a literal win/win for everyone.

Objectively it's the most rewarding model for both the developers and the players we've seen. If Wildstar goes a similar path, hopefully this means the doors are blown wide open. The interesting thing is that you can still keep more traditional MMO approaches while desiging the game with this approach. There's nothing to say that this system couldn't house raiding, expansions, anything really...but the overall tenet needs to be small and steady content and the ability for players to come and go with almost no penalty.

Even gear progression, if done correctly, can be tempered with streamlined catch up mechanics to fit this system into a more archaic one like WoW. It would take an adjustment period for any of those games, and it wouldn't be for everyone, but the song remains the same once time has played out.

Well done ArenaNet. Definitely commendable.
    BAD WOLF