Poll: What do you think Warcraft the Movie will be like?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I wish they made it completely CGI, not on the level of wow cinematics because then it wouldn't be released within our lifetime, but something on the level of Advent Children would be more than good

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    DOOM is a great example of a film that women have no desire to see. To be fair to DOOM, they tried to keep the budget low at $60 million. That was probably still way to high though. They should have kept it not much higher than $30 million.
    Put Richard Armitage on the posters and they'll be queuing up around the block to see it.

It's going to be horrible, no idea how anyone can think otherwise.

Video game movies are *never* good, and a game like WoW really doesn't lend itself to being made into a movie anyway, on top of that there really isn't a big fanbase for this type of thing. Even if there are 12million people interested in WoW, there's only a handful that would waste their time/money seeing a movie. Only really hardcore fans will watch it, which is probably only a few million at best. There's just no way that this movie is a good use of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I damn sure hope it's good. I think it has a lot of potential.

I actually really love wow lore. Not so much recent, but still lol. Seems like a lot of people don't like the story though.

Tbh, even if it is just decent, I will still like it just because of the time I have spent with the game and story.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I think live action is a mistake for this one. And this movie needed to come out years ago, when this game was in full stride as far public perception went.
    Public perception was always that it was cool to hate on. To make fun of it. I know because before I finally gave it a try I use to make fun of it despite not really knowing anything about it. I think now maybe more than before, if it looks cool, people will go see it especially if it isn't immediately apparent that it's WoW.

I would have more faith in the movie if peter jackson was directing it. I mean after all the LOTR movies and the hobbit he's doing . He's one guy that I would trust with a wow movie . Until I see a trailer, I will have my doubts about this movie. Seeing as recent movies and or games didnt live up to the hype.

As long as it's more for the Warcraft fans and not for the general movie goer who has no clue about Warcraft, It will do just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    It's going to be horrible, no idea how anyone can think otherwise.

Video game movies are *never* good, and a game like WoW really doesn't lend itself to being made into a movie anyway, on top of that there really isn't a big fanbase for this type of thing. Even if there are 12million people interested in WoW, there's only a handful that would waste their time/money seeing a movie. Only really hardcore fans will watch it, which is probably only a few million at best. There's just no way that this movie is a good use of money.
    That Is a big pile of bullsh!t.
    The warcraft series Is a written novel , Its not a game only, but 80% of Its lore are BOOKS.
    What makes the best Movies/ TV Series? Thats Right.

Deleted
    It depends. The movie should completely ignore the MMO's current status and concentrate on the best features and lore. This would mean drawing inspiration from the events of the RTS games.

In short:

- Arthas/Lich King movie has an enormous potential... if done right
    - MoP movie WILL be a gigantic failure, no matter how you do it

The movie should be able to stand on its own, to be enjoyable even to those who have never played any Warcraft games. I mean like the original Star Wars that is great as an individual film as well.

Still it would be a lot of stuff for one movie. Maybe a trilogy would work too. Such as:

Part 1: Plague and Arthas' descent to darkness
    Part 2: Silver Hand fights back; Ashbringer; ends with the events of the Battle of the Light's Hope Chapel where Tirion Fordring founds the Argent Crusade
    Part 3: Expedition to Northrend, march to Icecrown, defeating the Lich King

...or something. The first movie should probably have a long prelude to explain the Burning Legion's part and motives in creating the Lich King in the first place.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2013-07-28 at 07:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I can not predict the future and seeing we know almost nothing about it I have no idea. It's stupid to even ask this question with current information.

This is probably heavily outdated now, but there where (years ago) leaked information that popped up on IMDB and also on http://warcraft-themovie.com/index.html

Directed by:
    Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)

Writing credits:
    Chris Metzen (Story & characters)
    Charles Leavitt (Screenplay)
    Robert Rodat (Draft)
    Gary Whitta (Draft)

Produced by:
    Alex Gartner (The Bank Job, Get Smart)
    Jon Jashni (Ninja Assassin, The Hangover)
    Michael Morhaime (WoW, Diablo 2, Starcraft)
    Chris Metzen (WoW)
    Charles Roven (The Dark Knight, Twelve Monkeys)
    Paul Sams
    Thomas Tull (Watchmen, We are Marshall, 300)

Cast:
    Johnny Depp - rumored
    Mark Hildebrandt - Varian Wrynn
    Mila Kunis - Jaine Proudmoore (rumored)

And than Michele Morrow wanting to play Sylvanas

Liam Neeson in talks for the role
    September, 1. 2011.

Movie work is heating up in last few weeks. After little info coming out about project now we finally get some real info.

Few days ago Mila Kunis was connected with the movie and it seems that Liam Neeson could be joining her, as it is believed that he is in talks for a role in the film. It is expected that Liam will not be playing any of the lead characters in World of Warcraft movie but will instead have a smaller role, with the potential of playing a bigger part in any future sequels.

Mark Hildebrandt’s suggested role as Varian Wrynn has been leant weight by the fact that he has been training with film fighting trainer Bob Goodwin. Goodwin trained Christian Bale for the Batman Begins movie and is believed to be in charge of training the World of Warcraft stars.

Mila Kunis in WoW Movie
    August, 30. 2011.

There have been a lot of stories going around about the World of Warcraft movie from who will be directing the project, to who will be starring in it. It was initially claimed that Sam Raimi would be at the helm but since he left to do his Wizard of Oz prequel it was believed he would no longer be involved.

James Cameron was the next name to be suggested, however he seems to be very busy with his Avatar sequels, so that now looks unlikely. Then there were claims that Mark Hildenbrandt would be set to star as Varian Wrynn and that is looking ever more likely.

Now it has been suggested that Friends With Benefits actress Mila Kunis is set to appear in World of Warcraft movie. It is believed that Mila will play the character Valeera Sanguinar but there have also been rumours that she could play Lady Jaina Proudmoore.

Quote Originally Posted by Keny View Post
    That Is a big pile of bullsh!t.
    The warcraft series Is a written novel , Its not a game only, but 80% of Its lore are BOOKS.
    What makes the best Movies/ TV Series? Thats Right.
    And the people who read the books are the people who will watch the movie. How many people read the books? Exactly, nowhere near enough for them to make their money back.

And no, original movies/tv series are far better than books.

My expectations are a bit split, Blizzards sense of quality will most likely prevent it from being a bad movie but they are treading completely new ground here so who knows. They aren't the ones making it though, it seems like they are trying very hard to find competent people to make this for them. I'm confident in my belief that it wont suck but I don't expect any miracles, it will probably come out somewhere in the decent/OK range or better.

I'm expecting it to be about as good as a Doom/Alone in the Dark hybrid. Which is to say, not at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    What I don't understand is why do they need -anyone- to make a movie for them. We can see the quality of their CGI team (or contracts); look at the MoP cinematic, look at the heart of the swarm cinematic. They created the universe, they should be able to control the story and the art, and make an amazing movie in house. Something doesn't add up. And the vivendi thing proved they had the resources in cash to fund a movie many times over.
    Five words: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Blizzard would have to actually form a movie production company and hire hundreds of additional VFX artists. It would take several years to produce, and easily over a hundred million dollars.

Now, I think Blizzard would be perfectly capable of producing a good, CGI movie in-house. But why would they ever take on so much risk?

Warcraft is being produced by three companies: Warner Bros. Entertainment, Legendary Pictures, and Blizzard Entertainment. They have access to more resources, and more talent. By making it live action, they can leverage a degree of star power to help draw more viewers. They've got a talented director and a talented writer on board.

It's far, far too soon to say if it'll be a hit or not. They certainly have a huge potential audience to tap, which should help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Video game movies...

Lots of people who have never play World of Warcraft will watch it and will give it bad reviews most likely. I'm going to assume that the movie is going to be targetted at a much younger audience than the forum-goers here too. Explains why they've been trademarking all these children's oriented goods.

It'll probably be more in the style of a E-rated Pixar or disney movie than anything we're used to from WC3 or the WoW cinematics.
    Well, that's a pretty idiotic statement, given the tone of the teaser they showed at SDCC.

Just another fantasy B-movie, I just hope that it will be over soon.

That is not the impression that it gave me at all. Seemed typical for an E-rated movie. All these children's goodies being trademarked are obviously in the end going to be tied to the movie, that's how merchandising works.
    Except you release movie merchandise around the time of the movie's release, not years before. THAT is how merchandising works.

Nevermind the fact that Blizzard has tons of merchandise across the board for all of its franchises and none of it has ever really been indicative of anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be surprised if it makes back its budget.

Please. The direction they're taking their merchandising in should be enough for people to understand where it is heading.

This all reminds me again about the period where people refused to believe "Mists of Pandaria" was going to be an expansion.
    Face it. The Warcraft movie is going to be aimed at a younger audience and not carry the same theme or tones of the cinematics we're used to from Warcraft3 or WoW. It's all going to be much much more lighthearted.
    A few new products does not mean a new direction, it just means new products. The kids stuff is new, but it's not taking over.

Deleted
    Its a movie adaptation of a video game... History generally always repeats itself.