Poll: What do you think Warcraft the Movie will be like?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How will the Warcraft movie fair?

As we know, from the years of game to movie adaptations, we've seen it go from lowest of the low (super mario brothers, street fighter), so the kind of okay (silent hill, resident evil) or whatever inbetween (tomb raider).
    Often, I think the ones that stick to the animated feature, or even make a full on CGI based movie work better then anything live action, like Advent children FF7, or any of the pokemon movies... kinda.

But from whats been suggested, warcraft the movie will be live action, in the same school as the first category, which lets face it, there is literally nothing from the live action game to movie adaptation that is considered groundbreaking at its best, and at its worst, the biggest piece of shit you can think of.

But will this one actually break the mold, will blizzards effort and time waiting actually pay off.. or will the length of time they've spent trying to make it turn the movie into a massive flop?
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure, im not really expecting anything amazing anymore, i was really hyped for the movie years ago when it was first mentioned, now im a bit "meh" about, maybe it will change when i see a trailer. i think it will still sell well though due to it being warcraft, even though a lot have quit the game, many still love the warcraft series and would want to see the movie.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    I don't even know who's acting in it of who's directing / writing the scrip for it.
    Those choices will determine if it's good or if it sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be better than we expect but nowhere near as good as we hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I tend to agree. While I realize tech is a factor, I think it would've "felt" better a couple years ago than it does currently.

It may just be that the hype has been around a long time, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    that's exactly the mentality I had when I when into the DBZ movie after holding on seeing the previews and MY GOD that was awful...

Metzen is taking the reigns on this s.o.b., thinking that's a good thing...?

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue is what a risk the movie is right now. Wow itself and its subs are in decline, and they just brought themselves out from an investor for a huge payout, so blizzard isn't in the best situation right now.
    If warcraft the movie was done just right, it could bring fresh players into it. but if the movie tanks, it would make wow into a laughing stock and lose more because of it.
    #boycottchina

Expect to see a lot of:

There weren't enough gnomes!!!

There weren't enough trolls!!!

There weren't enough taurens!!!

There weren't enough draenei!!!

We didn't even get to see Teldrassil from the inside!!!

We didn't even get to see the Undercity!!!

Blizzard can't put everything in the movie. I fear the movie will be too much orc & human based :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    that's exactly the mentality I had when I when into the DBZ movie after holding on seeing the previews and MY GOD that was awful...

People usually forget, warcraft has always been metzens right from the get go. He's the spielberg or warcraft. Problem is, spielberg gave us some of the highest highs with the first starwars trilogy, and some of the lowest lows with.. jarjar binks. So its roundabouts and swings.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The issue is what a risk the movie is right now. Wow itself and its subs are in decline, and they just brought themselves out from an investor for a huge payout, so blizzard isn't in the best situation right now.
    If warcraft the movie was done just right, it could bring fresh players into it. but if the movie tanks, it would make wow into a laughing stock and lose more because of it.
    Can't get any worse.
    The wow stigma is cemented in popular culture, and it has a stigma attachted to it that it will never be able to shake off.
    Thanks South Park

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    People usually forget, warcraft has always been metzens right from the get go. He's the spielberg or warcraft. Problem is, spielberg gave us some of the highest highs with the first starwars trilogy, and some of the lowest lows with.. jarjar binks. So its roundabouts and swings.
    You're thinking of Lucas not Spielberg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Can't get any worse.
    The wow stigma is cemented in popular culture, and it has a stigma attachted to it that it will never be able to shake off.
    Thanks South Park

- - - Updated - - -

You're thinking of Lucas not Spielberg
    ooh yes.. get them confused.... well put indiana jones in place of star wars, and put space aliens held in underground tombs and ants that speed eat you instead of jarjar.

also.. it was kind of south park that drew my attention to warcraft to begin with. kind of ironic.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    It will preview for just a little below good, and turn out slightly better than "meh."

If that's true that's the nail in the coffin for it, for me anyway.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Deleted
    I have faith in Duncan Jones. :P I loved every movie of his I've seen (and I saw them before finding out he's directing Warcraft so it wasn't bias). I think a universe like Warcraft's deserves a movie in whatever form, though like book-to-film adaptations, I doubt the movie will be as good as the source material purely for the fact it wouldn't be able to fit in an awful lot in a couple of hours. Then again, there may be some things that it does better than WoW itself. Who knows? :P

I have low expectations, the only surprise I'll get is a good one.

Both the director and screenplay writer are good, so there's that. But since we don't really know anything about the movie I can't really say anything beyond that.

It will probably have to follow the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise to even have a chance:

1. Appeal to the female audience - absolute must. Its impossibly hard to have a successful film without a love story or something that will draw women. What made Tomb Raider successful at the box office was that women actually went to see it because they wanted to be Lara Croft / Angelina Jolie. The best move the film could make would be to cast a rising starlet as Jaina Proudmoore. Since Thrall is another major character, you're almost compelled to establish a beauty and the beast romance storyline between them.

Perhaps someone like Chris Hemsworth as Thrall.

The role of Jaina should go to a female teen idol. Someone like Ariana Grande (young girls know her from iCarly) , Debby Ryan (young girls know her from the Disney channel show "The Suite Life on Deck", Jennette McCurdy (iCarly), even Taylor Swift is going to get look here for this role.

Typically,they will throw in a love triangle. Since Thrall is the goody two-shoes, they will pick a badboy character from lore to woo Jaina. A good candidate is Edwin VanCleef. He's your "Jack Sparrow" of WoW lore pretty much.

Ok you set up the romance angle /female teen idol to get women interested. Now for the men who will probably go see this anyway.

2. Fight Choreography - this is what guys like. Guys judge these films on how cool / realistic the fights are. So hiring the right expert to design the fights are next.

3. Now you're down into less important points, like plot subpoints, hiring the rest of the cast.

10+ Year Old Account

as long as he isn't voicing 90% of the film :P
    dragonmaw - EU

If they wanted to make a huge amount of money off of a movie...

They need to grab their cinematic team, and just make a full-length movie. They make the best cinematics ever, and if you could translate that to a full-length movie then omg it would be amazing.

Edit: Obviously they'd need to hire more people, since they said it takes their team years to make those short ones, but yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    If they wanted to make a shitton of money off of a movie...

They need to grab their cinematic team, and just make a full-length movie. They make the best cinematics ever, and if you could translate that to a full-length movie then omg it would be amazing.
    i imagine it wouldn't be that cost effective though :\ i think their cinematics take a long time to make.
    dragonmaw - EU