Thread: Do You Jog?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm going to be blunt - your definition is fucking stupid. That pace is a 3:08 marathon. Are you really, honestly going to say that a 3:10 marathoner is not a runner, but just jogging?
    If you're doing 3:08 in a marathon, you shouldn't be doing a marathon, you should be saving people with your superspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    if theres one sure way to fck up your knees and ankles its jogging/running.
    That only happens to people who run by landing heel first.
    If you run by landing toes first and use your calves to soften/absorb the blow then your joints will be fine.

Deleted
    I used to do loads of running, I need to get back into it tbh, hadn't been able to do it because of exams and didn't have the time, now it's the summer I just got lazy D:

While I love the idea of jogging, my area isn't exactly the best. Lots of roads, very uneven ground. If I get into a good stride, it's only a matter of time before I have to stop at a junction for the traffic lights. I've jogged round my local park and do laps but that's not exactly ideal. I prefer to workout through Insanity personally.

Deleted
    I used to live in Spain near the beach so I absolutely loved jogging there. But in the city it's a nightmare, unless there's a good park or an open space away from all the cars and roads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, every now and again. I seem to have spurts to of jogging when I get motivated and go every/every other day, and then I stop for some reason and don't go for ages. This cycle repeats over and over, right now I'm not jogging but I will be soon when it starts again xd.

Deleted
    No, biking is so much more fun.

I run 5km on off days, I don't have any issues eating an extra 500kcal thoose days to make up for the "loss", but I'm not gonna run more than 5km ever, only working on the speed for it atm.

Deleted
    I go for a jog every single day, around 7km and it takes me roughly 25min. Started doing this recently since i've been inactive for such a long time LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Reddox View Post
    I go for a jog every single day, around 7km and it takes me roughly 25min. Started doing this recently since i've been inactive for such a long time LOL
    So, you're running ~3:36/km for 7km despite being inactive for a long time? Either you're very, very athletic, used to be a runner, or are mistaken. No offense intended, if that's your pace, it is what is, but that's a lot faster than inactive (or active) people are typically capable of.

Deleted
    There is nothing more boring and useless than jogging, I hate it!

It's slow, exhausting and impact shock messes up my knees, back and neck. Cycling is more up my alley.
    And who the hell would jog to lose calories? You'd have to run fucking miles upon miles every day just to break even from lunch.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-08-24 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    And who the hell would jog to lose calories? You'd have to run fucking miles upon miles every day just to break even from lunch.
    I'm running about 35 miles a week currently, which isn't really considered a big number by runners. At the old 100 cal/mile ballpark number, that's a 500 calorie surplus, on average, ever single day. It's a pretty noticeably larger amount of food that I have to consume to not lose weight; basically an extra Big Mac's worth of calories per day.

Deleted
    I'm running about 35 miles a week currently, which isn't really considered a big number by runners. At the old 100 cal/mile ballpark number, that's a 500 calorie surplus, on average, ever single day. It's a pretty noticeably larger amount of food that I have to consume to not lose weight; basically an extra Big Mac's worth of calories per day.
    So you run about 8-9 hours/week? You spend almost an entire day (awake) every week just running and that's considered normal or average? Surely there must be more effective ways to get rid of those extra calories than running?
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-08-24 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you run about 8-9 hours/week? You spend almost an entire day (awake) every week just running and that's considered normal or average?
    Surely there must be more effective ways to get rid of those extra calories than running?
    Not everyone jogs/runs just for the calorie burn. I enjoy it, huge stress relief for me.

HAHA, stupid Kids, Ofcourse i run, Imagine how angry everyone in my raid would be if i was like /walk all the time....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Not everyone jogs/runs just for the calorie burn. I enjoy it, huge stress relief for me.
    Fair enough. The very thought that there are people who enjoy jogging makes no sense to me.

Fair enough. The very thought that there are people who enjoy jogging makes no sense to me.
    Certain people get a feeling called a "runner's high." Great feeling.

I myself run for stress relief as well. Just plug in the music, blast away and run until I can't run anymore.

So you run about 8-9 hours/week?
    More like 5-6 hours, depending on pace from day to day. Long, easy runs are usually about a 9:30/mile pace, tempo runs are at ~7:30/mile pace. This is generally one long run Saturday, a hard run Wednesday, and two or three other easy runs.

You spend almost an entire day (awake) every week just running and that's considered normal or average?
    An extra day per month, not each week. That's considered pretty moderate for a runner, yeah. It's not near enough work to be comfortable with a marathon, which is what I'm working on. It's plenty to improve at a half marathon distance, but someone that's an ~1:45ish half marathoner (like me) is not considered a serious or good runner, just a competent hobbyist.

Surely there must be more effective ways to get rid of those extra calories than running?
    I can't think of anything I'd rather do than run. I just got back from an 11-miler, and it feels really nice to just settle in (although I'm dehydrated as shit at the moment, it's just too hot out). Weight loss isn't remotely a goal for me, I'm quite thin already. It's actually the other way around - I don't run to burn enough calories to eat more, I eat more so that I have enough fuel in me to run. I usually also get in one bike ride on Sunday and lift weights sometime during the week (not a big fan of lifting, but it's important for health).

- - - Updated - - -

The very thought that there are people who enjoy jogging makes no sense to me.
    I guess I'm confused by what you're confused by. People like different things. I can't fathom enjoying Star Wars, being around children, or working on cars. I do, however, understand that other people like those things.

I'm going to be blunt - your definition is fucking stupid. That pace is a 3:08 marathon. Are you really, honestly going to say that a 3:10 marathoner is not a runner, but just jogging?
    4 min/km is good, for a marathon.

I didn't mention any distance before, but to nail it down: 15 km/h "cooper test", that's at least 3,000 meters in 12 minutes, a pace of 4 min per km. For me personally this means: faster than that = running, slower than that = jogging. Apart from this theoretical point of view, running is also a feeling. Going 20 km/h, even if it's only a few meters, is a completely different feeling... it's fantastic. My personal opinion about myself is not that I'm special or good, nope, barely doing 3,300 meters in 12 min isn't very good. My opinion is that most others (95%?) are just bad... unnaturally bad and slow. In others words: I'm comparatively good, but from an absolute perspective I'm not... 4,800 meters in 12 min is World Record, and I'm at 3,300 meters. That's it, that tells me where I stand and where others stand.

Somewhere there has to be a limit right? Maybe it isn't about speed at all, but more about how close one can get to his personal physical limit... but even that cannot be true, or would you call some fat dude that can't go past 8 km/h a runner, just because he is at 100% of what his body can physically achieve when he runs 8 km/h? I don't think so.

Currently I run like 4-5 times a week, and one of my many targets is to run one single km with 20 km/h (3 min), at the moment I'm at 3:09. This already sets me apart from a jogger, and in this case I don't mean the speed, but the fact that I have targets I want to achieve.

I often run at places crowded with other "runners", and guess how many people I see who:
    a) are sweating (women: none, never! / males: very few)
    b) are going past their aerobic threshold for a moment or two (none, or like one every few months)
    c) are going past 15 km/h (women: none, probably all women who can do 15 km/h are in running clubs, it's THAT special / males: very very few)

Joggers aren't even trying, never ever! I mean how can one be in range to his speed limit (long distance speed limit) and not even sweat, with 30 °C (86 °F) outside? They don't have the will to touch their limits, and that's absolutely fine, but that's also equal to jogging and not running. I think there are two limits when talking about "one's weaker self". One that tells you not to run at all, and one that tells you to not exhaust yourself, once you got past the point to not run at all. Very few can get past the second point, at least that's what I see when I'm out there.

Fun things to read (stolen from http://www.wearenotjoggers.com/book.html ):

...and by the way, what's wrong with this forum? Most of the threads here are about entertainment, and not about DOING sports. Sitting on ones phat arse on the couch, drinking beer, eating chips and watching TV, football, basketball or whatever hasn't got to do anything with sports, it's pure entertainment category. They should split the forums, please.
    Last edited by Sarevoc; 2013-08-26 at 04:05 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I stopped jogging / running when I was 21. I tried earlier this year to go for a jog but the pavement is just too hard on my knees. Now I cycle for extra cardio. When I feel like moving on the feet though I just hit up a hiking trail.