Page 1 of 722
... LastLast

Football Season 2013/2014

Copy-pasting the OP from the last thread, rules are the same, no flaming etc

This thread is being extended to cover all discussion for the 2013/2014 Football* season. While the focus will most likely be around the English Premier League, English cup competitions and the European Champions' League; all national leagues, cups and international competitions (including international qualifiers for 2014) are welcome for discussion here.

Furthermore, as well as the general sports forum rules there are a few extra notes I'd like to make out for this thread. While I hope everyone can enjoy posting here, I'd like to set out what is and isn't going to be tolerated. People will disagree with each other, and discussion will rise up, but there are levels of posting that are unnecessary and the less we get of that the better.

1: Banter is acceptable as long as it's kept in good nature and not set out to insult, provoke or harass any other member of this board. Good humoured ribbing is part of the fan culture of football and it's something I'd like to keep here without it getting out of hand. If you are unsure whether or not what you are about to post will cross the line of decency then err on the side of caution.

2: When referring to teams, players, managers, referees, officials etc keep your posts clear of excessive vulgar language. While emotions can and do run high, this is not a right to verbally abuse others. While they may not post here, others who may feel very different to you will. If you can't convey your opinion without resorting to a tirade of abuse please don't post it.

3: FIFA, UEFA, individual national Football Associations are not in anyone's back pocket. Unless you have any evidence that proves otherwise keep such accusations out of this thread, it brings nothing but arguments.

4: There are certain tragedies in football's history that you do not bring up to "get one over" someone else. Jokes about these events are also strictly forbidden.

5: If you have to embed an image, please try to keep the width under 1000px, 800px would be better. If you can't make it smaller (embed a small version which hyperlinks to the original using this format: ([URL="original image URL"][IMG]smaller image URL[/IMG][/URL]). Otherwise just post the URL without [IMG][/IMG] tags.

6: Any mention of 1966 within the 8 weeks before the World Cup (i.e. from April onwards) and during the World Cup counts as trolling.

Here's a few prediction ideas to start everyone off (You're welcome to also add your own for different leagues, or various ideas you have for oddball predictions!)

1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL:
    2. Champs League winner:
    3. PFA Player of the year:
    4. Writers player of the year:
    5. Top Premiership Scorer:
    6. Best transfer:
    7. Biggest transfer flop:
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL:

While I obviously can't wish you all the best of luck, just the (Norwich!) supporters, I hope everyone can have fun and enjoy the next 9 months!
    The first Premier League games are in a few weeks' time, so let us see your predictions for the season!

I do not have the time to run or take part in any fantasy football leagues, but if somebody else wants to do that I'm sure Northern Goblin will be fine with that, and I'll edit a link into this OP.

edit: Access code for the Fantasy Football league (courtesy of ctd123): 100763-167890

edit2: Any comments about what constitutes "real football" (American Football versus Football) will be reported to the moderation team. There is an American Football thread, use it.

edit3: added rule about image size

edit4: You can find the 2013 Summer transfer window thread here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ransfer-Window . It is being locked next week, but might be an interesting read with the performance predictions of transfers in a few months time.

edit5: Access code for the MMO-Champion Fantasy Champions' League: 1276933-529874
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-10-22 at 04:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First! My predictions for this season are not so biased as the original post, other leagues exist.

EPL: Man United
    La Liga: Real Madrid
    Bundesliga: Bayern
    Ligue 1: Paris St
    Serie A: Juventus

Surprise of the season, Yeovil Town making the play offs!

1. United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal
    2. Champs League winner: Real Madrid
    3. PFA Player of the year: Bale
    4. Writers player of the year: RVP
    5. Top Premiership Scorer: RVP
    6. Best transfer: No good signings this season so far.
    7. Biggest transfer flop: No one jumps out
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Cardiff, West Brom, Stoke
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-28 at 02:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    TY for doing this thread.
    My predictions are

1. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City in that order.
    2. Dortmund.
    3. RvP.
    4. Hazard.
    5. RvP.
    6. Ronnie (I can hope right?).
    7. No clue.
    8. Newcastle, West Ham, Hull.

Deleted
    EPL: Chelsea
    SPFL Premiership: Celtic
    SPFL Championship: Greenock Morton
    SPFL1: The Rangers
    SPFL2: Peterhead
    Bundesliga: Bayern Munchen
    Ligue 1: PSG
    La Liga: Real Madrid

Deleted
    Chelsea for the title, Man United 5th.
    Relegated Cardiff, Palace, Southampton.

We just unveiled our new away kit today. I really quite like it. There are some howlers out there though, most notably the Liverpool one. Still, anybody got a better away strip than this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen a lot better, its very neutral, very underwhelming choice, but in no way is it bad, I quite like the chelsea away kit as its quite simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    My predictions were terrible last year, lets hope this year are more accurate, even if I got for wild guesses again.

1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs (If they keep Bale)
    2. Champs League winner: Napoli.
    3. PFA Player of the year: Coutinho.
    4. Writers player of the year: Bale. (If he stays)
    5. Top Premiership Scorer: Rvp
    6. Best transfer: No idea too early to tell.
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Same
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Hull, Palace, Barcodes.

Rangers on BBC gobbledegook today (that's BBC Alba for those unaware), don't even have English commentary on red button! Albion Rovers playing with SPL numbers on (fail), Rangers fans singing sectarian shite (fail) & Neil Doncaster in the stands (epic fail) - only good thing we've just went 1-0 up through Nicky Law, atleast the stadium is "reasonable" quality since they moved it to Livingston's home ground.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Rangers on BBC gobbledegook today (that's BBC Alba for those unaware), don't even have English commentary on red button! Albion Rovers playing with SPL numbers on (fail), Rangers fans singing sectarian shite (fail) & Neil Doncaster in the stands (epic fail) - only good thing we've just went 1-0 up through Nicky Law, atleast the stadium is "reasonable" quality since they moved it to Livingston's home ground.
    Zombie Rangers are a disgrace

EPL: Stoke
    Bundesliga:Hertha
    La Liga: Atletico Madrid
    Ligue 1: Marseille
    Serie A: Catania
    Eredivisie: Twente
    Primeira Liga: Sporting

Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    Zombie Rangers are a disgrace

Singing songs supporting a proscribed terrorist organisation, costing your club 2 fines thus far & having to be told numerous times to behave by your manager (inclusive of twice this season already) are a bunch of fine, upstanding members of any community aren't they! (we're no angels, but the green brigade are nothing to be proud of and should be stamped out)

4-0 up now, long way removed from struggling in this tie last year (Law x 2, Black, Templeton)
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Chelski, United, City, Spurs if Bale stays put.
    2. Champs League winner: Barca
    3. PFA Player of the year: Bale
    4. Writers player of the year: Zaha
    5. Top Premiership Scorer: Torres (jk) its gotta be RvP
    6. Best transfer: Neymar to Barca
    7. Biggest transfer flop: A Man City player
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Hull, Cardiff, Villa

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Singing songs supporting a proscribed terrorist organisation, costing your club 2 fines thus far & having to be told numerous times to behave by your manager (inclusive of twice this season already) are a bunch of fine, upstanding members of any community aren't they! (we're no angels, but the green brigade are nothing to be proud of and should be stamped out)

4-0 up now, long way removed from struggling in this tie last year (Law x 2, Black, Templeton)

Gutted for you.

Deleted
    Watch out for Chelsea in England. I think Man U are going to drop several places in a transition year, I don't think Moyes is up to it to be honest.

In Spain, Madrid are going to be nasty, just nasty, especially with Ancelloti (and maybe even Gareth Bale). Barca certainly have to get out of the slump they seem to be in at the moment (and since Pepe G left).

Bayern will trash Bundesliga as usual.

Paris will take france, with Monaco (who've just come up from L2), Marseille and Lyon in hot pursuit methinks.

Juventus will take Serie A, no surprises there since that championship has no competition whatsoever.

As to Champion league, it's to early to say, but Bayern, Chelsea, and Real Madrid are all early calls for clubs that will make it past top 8. But who knows ?

As things stand right now, my top 5 at the end of the season would be..

1) Chelsea
    2) Man City
    3) Man Utd
    4) Arsenal
    5) Tottenham

IMHO it's too early to make any predictions, as there are some big names that could move in/out of those sides and potentially change where they finish in the table.
    Last edited by Demoncrash; 2013-07-28 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool
    2. Champs League winner: Los Merengues
    3. PFA Player of the year: Gareth Bale
    4. Writers player of the year: Gareth Bale
    5. Top Premiership Scorer: Luis Suarez
    6. Best transfer: David Villa to Atleti
    7. Biggest transfer flop: One of the Dutch 'supertalents' to the EPL.
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Reading, Sunderland, Newcastle

Are we doing a fantasy premier league thing?
    Ohio State Buckeye

15+ Year Old Account
    Norganon, Reading aren't in the EPL this season They got relegated.

Not going to make a prediction myself because I really have no clue how United are going to play with Moyes as manager. Even though we've not been using our best team during the Asia tour, we haven't exactly played brilliantly. If I had to say who I think look the strongest right now, it's Chelsea.

Is Lukaku being brought back from his loan to West Brom to play for Chelsea this season? If so that's 3 Belgians in the Chelsea squad... 3 very good Belgians. I should be supporting my fellow countrymen and be a Chelsea supporter (never gonna happen...)
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2013-07-28 at 08:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea Lukaku is staying Mou said he liked what he saw in training. I think our start will be rocky with Moyes but with Giggs maybe Fergie helping him he should be ok after Nov.

Deleted
    it's going to be an interesting year for Man United, lets see how well they do with David Moyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Norganon, Reading aren't in the EPL this season They got relegated.
    I'm such an idiot. I promise I'll follow the EPL more this year.
    Ohio State Buckeye