Profession leveling outdated?

Hello everyone,

I'm leveling blacksmithing in one of my characters and I let to level when I got 90. Starting from 0 to 600 buying/farming everything I can and trying to reach fast as I can. I started with Ghost Iron method but now I'm about 300 and its just not viable cause to get 2 points I'll need 65 ghost iron bars... So I'm farming Fel Iron with my other toon but, again, I need 2 for 1 bar and the nodes are just rare. Things are getting pretty boring... I got guides and routes to optimize node mining but it isnt helping a lot.

Am I doing something wrong, complaining about something easy and right or the game is just outdated (we already have 600 points, the leveling process should be easier till reach MoP)?

Obs: I didnt even started JC and already tired just thinking about the work and effort.

What I generally do is level herb/mining while leveling and bank the mats I will need for the profession I want to level and sell the mats for the one I don't to help pay for the mats that are a pain in the ass to farm.

For instance for BS, level herb/mining, bank the ore until your ready to craft and sell the herbs to help fund the purchase of Fel Iron, which I don't wish to farm myself.

Quote Originally Posted by XingoJenkins View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm leveling blacksmithing in one of my characters and I let to level when I got 90. Starting from 0 to 600 buying/farming everything I can and trying to reach fast as I can. I started with Ghost Iron method but now I'm about 300 and its just not viable cause to get 2 points I'll need 65 ghost iron bars... So I'm farming Fel Iron with my other toon but, again, I need 2 for 1 bar and the nodes are just rare. Things are getting pretty boring... I got guides and routes to optimize node mining but it isnt helping a lot.

Am I doing something wrong, complaining about something easy and right or the game is just outdated (we already have 600 points, the leveling process should be easier till reach MoP)?

Obs: I didnt even started JC and already tired just thinking about the work and effort.
    The biggest problem with the Ghost Iron method is that it'll be worthless come next expansion. As for the Fel Iron part just make stuff requiring Thorium until it greys out; Thorium is so much easier to farm than Fel Iron and even if you have to make 2-3 items for a skillup it still ends up being faster.

That being said it would be nice if Blizz could do an overhaul related to the current expansion's mats for skilling professions but hey, I'd rather have better raid content than something that only takes the better part of a day to max out.

Really anytime they decrease the amount of xp you need to level or make leveling easier by x% they need to make harvesting grant x% more skill ups and x% more materials, otherwise you out level content much faster than you can level professions. Not as big a deal in current content but for old content they should be adjusting professions everytime they adjust leveling speed.

Deleted
    Lol @ Fincher charity. Ofc you do.

OP fel iron isnt that hard, just farm at the right times. It was a lot worse when you couldnt fly. TBC ores are more scarce than other expansions, so ay least the ghost iron is an alternative to get you past the fel iron/adamantite phase.

It looks as though the fel iron route is more efficient working, buy even ghost iron shouldnt be that bad. How long are you farming ore for? The post I saw suggests about 800 ores for 300-330. That is 40 stacks. Even if that was wildly out and it took 1600 ores, then you should be able to farm 30 stacks of ore an hour with ease, so you are looking at 2-3 hours of farming ore.

It suggest fel iron would be .25 bars per skill point which equates to 1 skill point per 8 ore. 30 skill points for 240 ore. That would be 12 stacks. Allowing for a variation of 100% then that would be needing 12-24 stacks to make the 30 skill points. I cnat see how you will make less than 8 stacks per hour even of fel iron and you cna also collect admantite at the same time as flying around. So 1.5-3h at very conservative rates.

So my advice is.
    1. It isnt that hard and get on with it rather than wait for Blizzard to change things.
    2. I would go the fel iron route if its more efficient.
    3. Make sure you have the profiession skill guild perk.
    4. switch to adamantite asap.
    5. Dont lose hope because this is the only pinch point and the rest of the ores after tbc are easy.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2013-07-29 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Really anytime they decrease the amount of xp you need to level or make leveling easier by x% they need to make harvesting grant x% more skill ups and x% more materials, otherwise you out level content much faster than you can level professions. Not as big a deal in current content but for old content they should be adjusting professions everytime they adjust leveling speed.
    Nay, what should they do long time ago is to make resource nodes spawn individually (like archaeology nodes). Same for rares (technology is there, which could be seen from some MoP quests).

Leveling is also big part of the game. They could make an option (turned off by default) "Accelerated EXP gain". While it is disabled, you don't gain rested experience, and experience curve is as is before any nerfs.

@999tiger
    thank you for advices, I think I will level in a slower pace just not to loose my mind. But they could ease things a little bit in Ghost Iron method, because 65 bars for 2 skills are just insane.

@Fincher
    Yeah. Darkmoon 5 points are really welcome.

I think things should be easier for those who already have 90's and are needing a new char with new professions. The way they did with leveling process should be applied to professions too, making something that could increase the skill gain with red and yellow items when crafting.

Deleted
    If its only going to take me at the most 3 hours to mine the ore, then I would just get on with it. The guild perk is important.
    I think lw have it a lot harder.

The point was everyone else has had to do the same and blizzard arent going to change any time soon.

I've leveled Enchanting, Tailoring, Jewelcrafting, Engineering, and Blacksmithing from 1-600 in MoP. The hardest one for me was JC because of the random nature of prospecting and the difficulty of farming TBC/WLK ores, but it gets much easier when you can just do the Vashj'ir loop for Obsidium on your seahorse, and MoP 500-600 takes no time at all.

I agree the Ghost Iron Method is too excessive. I just leveled BS back in April on my Warrior and Fel Iron was the hardest to obtain on my realm. Poor harvesting and and spawn rates in conjunction with "high" demand makes it tough, but take this advice. Grey out all your metal types before moving on (if farming or a previous ore is cheaper). So for me I farmed and had excess 1-60 mats, so I greyed them all out and it took less Fel Iron. Also the massive amount of Saronite and Cobalt ore was difficult to farm up solely so I bought some on the AH and saronite was cheaper and more abundant on my server so I leveled using that until grey before moving onto Obsidian.

But now I have a Lionheart Executioner, reborn because I can't get a decent weapon to drop and I didn't have to pay 20k gold on the AH

I found the maps in the mining leveling guide at wow-professions.com were actually quite useful for farming ore. Definitely agree that Fel Iron is still lame and to max out farming Thorium is a better plan.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

The primary issue is not so much the number of points, but the lack of desirability for most of the results particularly in crafting professions.
    At present only a small minority of the possible items for any armor crafting profession are actually desirable while levelling, or feasible for players not being funded by a main.

I think there are too many items, and the material costs of most of them are too high.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The primary issue is not so much the number of points, but the lack of desirability for most of the results particularly in crafting professions.
    At present only a small minority of the possible items for any armor crafting profession are actually desirable while levelling, or feasible for players not being funded by a main.

I think there are too many items, and the material costs of most of them are too high.

Disagree it is just a natural consequence of 90% of people being at max level and people leveling so fast. I'd rather they spent time on new content, which is slow enough as it is. I always regard the proceeds from leveling as vendor trash. I do make sure that as soon as items hit the latest expansion, then I try and make something useful.

Considering that 98% of the players are old and already know professions, they know that professions do nothing till max level, making them pretty useless below 600.
    What could happen is making professions relevant while leveling or shortening the process to reach its max level.

Just came back to the game and I'd prefer if profession progress could be shared between characters much like mounts, pets and achievements are already. I can conceivably see myself getting the primary professions to 600. But the secondary ones, especially archaeology? F**K that.

You are probably doing it wrong. I usually level profs from 0-600 in 1 or 2 takes. Mostly buying mats.
    Just google some profession guide, always works pretty good and occasionally some self input isnt bad either

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I still level all professions (secondaries) a bit. Archy is only worth it IMHO if you seriously consider chasing that bug mount.

Or if you like fun stuff