10+ Year Old Account

Project Car Pick

Been getting bored of just having one vehicle. Its my work truck its reliable gets me to work etc. I sold my old project car a few years ago because I didnt have room for it. Moved into a new place, I have room for a car, I have tools, a stable job and I have money...just need to spend it wisely. I have extensive knowledge of cars, been working on cars since I was 13 aswell as 7 years as a tech in a dealership. Im in search of a car to have as a toy and I need some ideas. Thing is nothing really attracts me I stopped messing with cars and focused on my job and helping family and Ive lost touch and I can really find a car that I would be willing to take on. Now I dont have super high hopes of making some track car. What I want is a nice looking car that can be made decently quick but not looking to be some crazy race car as a end game. I need some ideas, not interested in hondas or fwd cars for that matter my love for them died years ago.
    Last edited by Redpanda; 2013-07-28 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    how are you on the classics?
    i'm a muscle man myself, not really interested in racing either. i just build/restore for fun.
    just finished a '84 trans am KITT conversion, and about to start a '70 cuda this week.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can appreciate a classic car but honestly Im not into muscle cars. Yes building and restoring is fun I restored most of my dads old bronco when I was younger till he sold it . OOOOO 70 cuda, you should post pics of the restoration process Im sure the car nerds like myself would check it out. If I where to go with a older car Im partial to 80s model japanese cars or german cars.

biggest questions for me here are :

1: which era you like best? myself i like the '60's
    2: what kind of budget you talking? chevies for the most part are cheapest to build, then fords, and mopar is aggravatingly expensive (gotta have the mopars, unfortunately, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Best place to start is what do you want to do?

Drag race, road race, show car?

Being a member of NASA and seeing all varieties of cars has been a real eye opener to see how comparable each type of car can be and the fun factor changes as well each time a new car is driven.

For a RWD setup something like a Miata (yeah, I know) can actually be quite quick with little investment but may be hard to come by on parts depending on where you are. Another option could be if you are looking for something that you want to show off and maybe go to the track on occasion is an older Porsche (944?) or BMW (E30,E36,E46 are all great chassis).

I would say depending on where you live, look for some car shows or racing organizations and get a feel for what might click for you.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Wrenching on a hot rod is one thing, building a car from the ground up is a whole different universe, with it's own rewards. I recommend any kit car from factory five racing. I'm building a GTM, though they do a 33, mark 4 as well as a daytona coupe, and the new 818 is coming out, a true performance world car, 818kilos and subbi engine midmounted in track and road versions = hang on to your shorts
    ....if you can build.
    If you can't build you're out of luck, unless you're made of money.
    But for the same cost as a mid market car, you can have bleeding edge performance, an open roadster, a rat rod, whatever you want, and the interesting part, is how YOU decide to build. Don't like the width? Change it. All it takes is sweat and money, which can be had through sweat. How far do you want to take it, that's how far you can go.

Failing that, get a jeep wrangler, it's a way of life.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    Been getting bored of just having one vehicle. Its my work truck its reliable gets me to work etc. I sold my old project car a few years ago because I didnt have room for it. Moved into a new place, I have room for a car, I have tools, a stable job and I have money...just need to spend it wisely. I have extensive knowledge of cars, been working on cars since I was 13 aswell as 7 years as a tech in a dealership. Im in search of a car to have as a toy and I need some ideas. Thing is nothing really attracts me I stopped messing with cars and focused on my job and helping family and Ive lost touch and I can really find a car that I would be willing to take on. Now I dont have super high hopes of making some track car. What I want is a nice looking car that can be made decently quick but not looking to be some crazy race car as a end game. I need some ideas, not interested in hondas or fwd cars for that matter my love for them died years ago.
    Buy a Volvo amazon Kombi, ive seen one irl beating a ferrari, lamboghini etc :P just build it right mate :P GL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not interested in racing and competition its more for personal enjoyment something modest. and Im more inclined toward japanese cars of the 80 and early 90s. I live in texas so I know I can find anything for any car. I have seen some of E30s around that look like a blast to drive, aswell as some of the older model audis. On the way home I saw a 80s model mr2, early 90s model mr2, and a DR Rx7 drive by. Very drool worthy because I have soft spot for fds
    Last edited by Redpanda; 2013-07-28 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1976 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. Before I bought my Toyota Supra, I was very nearly going to buy a 76 stingray, before I worked out I wanted to mod a car, not restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    Im not interested in racing and competition its more for personal enjoyment something modest. and Im more inclined toward japanese cars of the 80 and early 90s. I live in texas so I know I can find anything for any car. I have seen some of E30s around that look like a blast to drive, aswell as some of the older model audis. On the way home I saw a 80s model mr2, early 90s model mr2, and a DR Rx7 drive by. Very drool worthy because I have soft spot for fds
    eh, i cant be much help then, im an american muscle guy. i do like the old rx's, but be prepared for serious engine work on those - people were awful to those engines, lol
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive changed my fair share of apex seals. My uncle had 3 rxs, well 1 fc 1 fc and the engine from a fc that he put in all things a suzuki tracker.

then that sounds like the way to go, you seem to be leaning that way already. if you've rebuilt a few i guess you know what im talking about - rx's are just one of those cars that all seemed to be owned by a derp at some point, lol. it's a shame, because they are badass cars
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the idea of an older, non-911 Porshe. They are certainly mechanics' cars and won't be as ostentatious as a typical tuner. They are not done often so you won't see many, but being a Porshe, it can be very striking in a sleeper way. Attracting just the right attention, but not the usual kids who run around in hopped up Civics.

I'm not sure I'd consider the MR2. Its not a bad car, but if you're a gearhead, it seems to be a backwards step to bother with something like that. They seem more set up for type of driver who doesn't do his own wrench work. You could easily get more car for similar money since you know how to do the real work yourself. RX7s are nice, but certainly a go-to for the tuner world. You didn't seem to want that from the way you sounded in your first post. If you are wanting a tuner car, then you can just line them up and throw darts.

My suggestion is still the Porshe though. Beamers are too boring looking, and this way, you still get a German.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazienne View Post
    I agree with the idea of an older, non-911 Porshe. They are certainly mechanics' cars and won't be as ostentatious as a typical tuner. They are not done often so you won't see many, but being a Porshe, it can be very striking in a sleeper way. Attracting just the right attention, but not the usual kids who run around in hopped up Civics.

I'm not sure I'd consider the MR2. Its not a bad car, but if you're a gearhead, it seems to be a backwards step to bother with something like that. They seem more set up for type of driver who doesn't do his own wrench work. You could easily get more car for similar money since you know how to do the real work yourself. RX7s are nice, but certainly a go-to for the tuner world. You didn't seem to want that from the way you sounded in your first post. If you are wanting a tuner car, then you can just line them up and throw darts.

My suggestion is still the Porshe though. Beamers are too boring looking, and this way, you still get a German.
    Ive got soft spot for the older toyota sports cars. I worked at a toyota dealer so I know them in and out. Mr2s where a pain but not too bad once you know what youre doing. Porshe might be too pricey for me. A Fc rx7 might be nicer but Id be more inclined to put in a smallblock. Ive seen plenty of kits complete with wiring harness for those swaps. Ive also been looking into some of the subar imprezas but Ive never really worked on them tbh.

Deleted
    Should totally get this.

50 M/ph top speed yo.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll x2 the yota MR2...uncle had one and used to tune / race...thing was really fun.

I have money...just need to spend it wisely.
    I got a chuckle there...no money spent on a non-primary vehicle is wise
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    i learned early on to always have a main car