Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Pally Tank - Valor gear question

Hey everyone

I am currently gearing up my Pally in an effort to get him ready for raiding (10 man normal ToT), and just after some advice on which items are worth buying from valor vs upgrading my current gear.

Since I cannot post my armory link, my toon is "Zaioses" on USA - Proudmoore

Currently, I have bought out the haste/mastery cloak/neck, the haste/crit ring, and the expertise DPS trinket.

Are the other items like the Crit/mastery belt, bracers, dodge/mastery tank ring and possibly the mastery trinket worth purchasing for the ilvl and general stat upgrades? or should I be sinking my valor into upgrading my current 522 gear and hope on getting some luck with drops for the other slots?

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.

Sink your valor into upgrading key itemization pieces. If the other valor gear do not have haste on them or a very useful stat (hit/exp) for gearing tanks in addition to mastery, then it's best avoided until you're more geared.

Quote Originally Posted by Eljosho View Post
    Hey everyone

I am currently gearing up my Pally in an effort to get him ready for raiding (10 man normal ToT), and just after some advice on which items are worth buying from valor vs upgrading my current gear.

Since I cannot post my armory link, my toon is "Zaioses" on USA - Proudmoore

Currently, I have bought out the haste/mastery cloak/neck, the haste/crit ring, and the expertise DPS trinket.

Are the other items like the Crit/mastery belt, bracers, dodge/mastery tank ring and possibly the mastery trinket worth purchasing for the ilvl and general stat upgrades? or should I be sinking my valor into upgrading my current 522 gear and hope on getting some luck with drops for the other slots?

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.
    Can only get 1 ring/trinket.
    Crit/mastery belt : probably get one off jinrokh, if not you can get it.
    Holy plate gloves are fairly decent.
    Same with holy plate legs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eljosho View Post
    dodge/mastery tank ring and possibly the mastery trinket worth purchasing for the ilvl and general stat upgrades?
    NO and NO. Instead of the mastery trinket, you might want to get the expertise trinket. ToT tank trinkets are pretty bad all around for the current active mitigation design. Still, you might want to keep a stamina trinket in your bags for special fights.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    Still, you might want to keep a stamina trinket in your bags for special fights.
    NO and NO :P

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    NO and NO :P
    If he's just getting back and doing progression, stamina trinket might be worth it on some of the fights, he doesn't need to always use it, but it is nice sometimes.

Deleted
    The more trinkets you have the better! :3

Although I hope we don't get another Lei-Shi anytime soon. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    The more trinkets you have the better! :3

Although I hope we don't get another Lei-Shi anytime soon. >.<
    No, please. I still hear her yelling "Get away from me!" in my nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Can only get 1 ring/trinket.
    Crit/mastery belt : probably get one off jinrokh, if not you can get it.
    Holy plate gloves are fairly decent.
    Same with holy plate legs.
    *facepalm* get out please..

OT: if your new to Pally tank, don't go haste route, go Migitation route, compleate avoidance stats really.. so any Tanking gear that has mastery etc on it.
    Mastery
    Dodge,
    Parry
    reforge everything to mastery more or less, can't remember on the top of my head.
    Last edited by Kharli; 2013-07-31 at 04:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Windytusks View Post
    No, please. I still hear her yelling "Get away from me!" in my nightmares.
    sounds like my missus :*(

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post

OT: if your new to Pally tank, don't go haste route, go Migitation route, compleate avoidance stats really.. so any Tanking gear that has mastery etc on it.
    Mastery
    Dodge,
    Block
    reforge everything to mastery more or less, can't remember on the top of my head.
    wouldnt really listen to someone who says block is still on gear..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Mastery
    Dodge,
    Block
    This is such bad advice. Please, OP, do not listen to this.

No reason to assume someone is incompetent and then set them up for failure or, at best, subpar performance.

While I don't advocate the use of Int gear, personally, it IS a valid choice. I'd still go for Crit/Mastery STR gear over Haste/X INT gear, but that's just personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    wouldnt really listen to someone who says block is still on gear..
    My bad, I ment parry, Sorry but my Prot spec always been OS recently changed to HOly OS due to guild needed more healers.

My bad, I ment parry, Sorry but my Prot spec always been OS recently changed to HOly OS due to guild needed more healers.
    dont take this the wrong way. but if its your Os i dont think you should state that the people with best knowledge on these forums are wrong. they theorycraft. sim. do math,,,, you> Os.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    Celinanuma was far more correct than you.

Mastery
    Dodge,
    Parry
    I appreciate your valuable input, but next time please give reasons.
    Point of the matter being that haste is superior (as it has been circlejerked to death in 1000s of other discussions) so there is no reason to go the inferior route.

Deleted
    Id also suggest that your don't start your post with:

Before giving misinformation - makes you look like a bit of a jerk and doesn't reflect great on you, particularly when your stat order is a big pile of Beiber.

*facepalm* idd....

@Rawhammer - Reminds me of GWB: "sometimes wrong, but never in doubt!"

Even though that's miles better than where we are now....HEYOOOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Just incase you keep this paladin you're gearing for a long time, do yourself a favour and keep old gear for an entire expansion. You don't really have to do that so much any more but it doesn't hurt, you can find bankspace somewhere. Was more important previously (Herald, block set for Anub hc) and a bit in cata but definitely definitely keep all trinkets. Something might twig in your head at some point and you'll have it there and waiting. Same goes for if you keep old gear, good, gem it with stamina solely or some other stat, test things try things and maybe it'll come in handy for a very specific set of circumstances.

Chances are you'll never use it but better to have it than not. Back in DS hc on Yorsahj, if you didn't have a DK tank this could be hard. Especially if you had to use a pala or worse, a warrior. If you'd kept your Baradin Warden trinket this fight was suddenly a LOT easier and same for Sindragosas Flawless Fang to a much lesser extent but still good. Same happened on madness hc with Stay of Execution from Firelands rep - made handling an Impale so much easier.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Talking about the Sindragosa Flawless Fang and Barradin trinket, does the resistance from them still give damage reduction?