Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say wait for the next iteration of the Nexus 10. It will be made by Samsung again as well as feature killer specs once more. The current N10 is still one of the top dogs in terms of specs so I am really curious how their next one will be.

However, as far as I'm aware the current N10 does not support 3G. Perhaps the next one will? Anyways, still reason to look out for it =D

10+ Year Old Account
    I really dont understand how all these tablets can be the "heart of mobile computing" when they dont have 3g.....

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it's not really an issue. I have no need for a tablet with 3G when I can easily tether from my phone, or just look it up on my phone either way (have a samsung galaxy s4 so no need to whip out a 10" tablet).

Besides, I'd most likely use it at home so I have Wi-Fi available. There are not a lot of cases where I am desperate for internet on a tablet though. And if I really want to, I can connect it through my phone.

I got the Motorola Xoom tablet, and i use it everyday. from just going "oh need to google that" while in bed or somthing. i watch alot of TV shows ans movies on mine in the evenings when im in bed. youtube or ever just go on a sketch program and have a doodle. :P the xoom is pretty cheap on ebay these days so you could get one. its abit hefty tho. kinda heavy but not to heavy.. 10.1 inch screen and things.

Deleted
    The Nexus 7 2 has just launched and is what im getting in the next week or 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    The Nexus 7 2 has just launched and is what im getting in the next week or 2.

Nice one:
    https://play.google.com/store/device...us_7_32gb_hspa
    Nexus 7 (2012) 32 GB, Wi-Fi + Mobile data, Unlocked
    £239

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Hello, It has occurred to me today that I could really do with upgrading myself and getting in with the tablet crowd. Hoping some of you might be able to offer some suggestions.

Things I'm looking for:
    • 3G
    • WIFI
    • 9-10inch
    • Preferably android
    • long battery life (obviously I do know that running it on 3g + gps etc... will kill the battery)

I have looked at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (which I recently bought for my mums birthday) but it doesnt have 3G, which for me would be extremely useful. However failing finding one that satisfies all requirements that's probably the one I would fall back to.

Budget. Obviously the lower the cost the better, but I am prepared to spend in the region of £400 for the right one.
    Acer Iconia W3

this one is 8 inch but pretty decent. The only downside is the screen but unless you are OCD about wide viewing angles it won't bother you. Also has good keyboard attachment, comes with office so it can be media but get some work done as well.

From Samsung i would recommend the Galaxy Tab 2

Imo it is a better product than the Sony Xperia series

My Ultimate and #1 choice would be an Asus transformer book Its on amazon for 360 atm and it is a laptop when you need to do work and a tablet when you don't need to sit down. Obviously newer is more expensive but to me a worth-while investment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Acer Iconia W3

this one is 8 inch but pretty decent. The only downside is the screen but unless you are OCD about wide viewing angles it won't bother you. Also has good keyboard attachment, comes with office so it can be media but get some work done as well.

From Samsung i would recommend the Galaxy Tab 2

Imo it is a better product than the Sony Xperia series

My Ultimate and #1 choice would be an Asus transformer book Its on amazon for 360 atm and it is a laptop when you need to do work and a tablet when you don't need to sit down. Obviously newer is more expensive but to me a worth-while investment
    The acer would be a no go I think. Far too expensive for something that doesn't compare to other tablets at its price point.

Tab 2 I hadn't thought off, always looked at the note. Looksl ike the Tab 2 does have 3g though and is 10inch. Might be a winner here, that said Samsung have really irked me by using a 30 pin charging port instead of a micro usb....

Asus transformer, I mostly discounted becuase Maplin seem to have deals on it pretty much every week, So I always figured there was something not quite right with it. But funnily enough I was even considering the Microsoft Surface today becuase of the keyboard, and completely forgot about the transformer so thanks.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2013-07-31 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice one:
    https://play.google.com/store/device...us_7_32gb_hspa
    Nexus 7 (2012) 32 GB, Wi-Fi + Mobile data, Unlocked
    £239
    That's the old one (note the "2012"). The new one isn't available for purchase yet it seems.

The Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 might be another option to consider. It's available in both wifi-only and GSM/HSPA/LTE versions. It also uses a normal micro-usb/MHL port rather than the Tab 2's dumb apple connector copy.
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-07-31 at 08:51 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen the Tab3 with 3G come up on John Lewis yet. (They give a 2yr guarantee, and samsung have them as an approved retailer which gives 1yr free warranty and insurance)

10+ Year Old Account
    Seen this today:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/t...nov-tab9r.html

Doesnt have 3g, but... sure much more cost effective than £500 for a 3g one.

I really dont understand how all these tablets can be the "heart of mobile computing" when they dont have 3g.....
    tethering...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alantor View Post
    tethering...
    Draining battery power from 2 devices now instead of 1......
    Just because I can, doesn't mean I should be forced to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Tablets are a waste of money. Their novelty runs out in days.
    Yeah I don't think you could be more wrong tablets are the future as far as most home computing devices are concerned. The best bang for your dollar as far as current available tablets is the Kindle Fire HD the 4G LTE 8.9 inch version is $399

Deleted
    Can't go wrong with Nexus 7 2013, though it has a 7 inch display (1200x1920 resolution though). I like it because I can carry it with me anywhere and it doesn't take up much space in whatever non-dedicated container I'm using. Performance wise it is arguably one of the best out there.

Samsung Tab3 8 inch is also a solid choice imo. I have one lying around the office here and it's quite nice actually. Can't really say anything about the performance, but seeing some benchmarks and comparisons, it seems a bit above the middle of the pack.
    Last edited by mmoc79af98f473; 2013-08-20 at 06:44 AM.

I'd suggest the pipo m8 pro. it seems to have everything you want and it's pipo.

Actually come to think of it, anything with an RK3188 serves your purpose pretty well.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    I'd suggest the pipo m8 pro. it seems to have everything you want and it's pipo.

Actually come to think of it, anything with an RK3188 serves your purpose pretty well.
    Doesnt look bad... but mini pc rather than a tablet unfortunately defeats the purpose of getting it.

EDIT: Seems that googling RK3188 turns up some slightly different results ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Although this does look fairly promising...
    http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-m9pro...-gps-32gb.html
    Any particular reason you suggested the M8 over the M9?
    Do you know what kind of charger it is?
    Is there likely to be any issues getting replacement/spare chargers? Will it not charge on the USB port?
    Last edited by Djinni; 2013-08-20 at 09:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm not mistaken, we're getting pretty close to the new iPad releases. I know you want Android, but generally speaking, new iPads mean new Android models, which means a price cut on what's out now. It might be worth waiting a month or two if you're able to.

If I ever bought a tablet, it would have to have a wacom digitizer for being able to take notes. Having a screen right there in front of me and not being able to write on it... or being able to, but only in a clunky "on or off" ("writing or not") type fashion would drive me crazy. I'd be trying to write, not interface an app.

I would also probably get a win8 at this point. With technology the way it is, and these things being as powerful as they are, it seems ludicrous to me to be strapped with "half an operating system" as I call it. Why not have a full fledged operating system, and give it the chance to run your favorite PROGRAM, not app! If it can handle photoshop, or video editing, or WoW, or whatever my heart desires, great. If not, that's fine too. It's only a tablet, but I want the ability to TRY and fail based on my hardware. Not a half-ass OS that doesn't support it.

(If iOS is "full fledged" (can try to run my mac programs), and has a digitizer... that would be fine. I'm not sure if the iPads are or not, but I doubt it)

my .02

Doesnt look bad... but mini pc rather than a tablet unfortunately defeats the purpose of getting it.

EDIT: Seems that googling RK3188 turns up some slightly different results ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Although this does look fairly promising...
    http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-m9pro...-gps-32gb.html
    Any particular reason you suggested the M8 over the M9?
    Do you know what kind of charger it is?
    Is there likely to be any issues getting replacement/spare chargers? Will it not charge on the USB port?
    Oh yeah, m8 had the different charger, sorry to mislead, i just recommended m8 because that's got the most comfortable wedge shape i've used on a tablet and it's really well built, not having much experience with the M9.
    I was also fairly certain that you could charge it via usb since the M8Pro revision, i guess i might've been wrong.

Also, i assume you know this, but like everyone else in this thread i must mention it : this is kindof a bad time to buy a new tablet unless it's the nexus 7. We're getting many awesome chipsets by the end of the year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    If I ever bought a tablet, it would have to have a wacom digitizer for being able to take notes. Having a screen right there in front of me and not being able to write on it... or being able to, but only in a clunky "on or off" ("writing or not") type fashion would drive me crazy. I'd be trying to write, not interface an app.

I would also probably get a win8 at this point. With technology the way it is, and these things being as powerful as they are, it seems ludicrous to me to be strapped with "half an operating system" as I call it. Why not have a full fledged operating system, and give it the chance to run your favorite PROGRAM, not app! If it can handle photoshop, or video editing, or WoW, or whatever my heart desires, great. If not, that's fine too. It's only a tablet, but I want the ability to TRY and fail based on my hardware. Not a half-ass OS that doesn't support it.

(If iOS is "full fledged" (can try to run my mac programs), and has a digitizer... that would be fine. I'm not sure if the iPads are or not, but I doubt it)

my .02
    Unfortunately those are more professional tablets. OP wants a consumer tablet - he wont be doing content creation on it i dont think. There's some tablets that perform marvelously but due to x86 being the architecture of choice, and it being a power-optimized version of a bigger meaner chip, this means lower battery life, more heat and more bulk to the tablet, which are generally things you can avoid with ARM processors.

You can get a wacom digitizer tablet for like $120-$350 used nowadays (x200t, x61t, x201t are all great variants), but we're not discussing those since they're rather inconvenient for leisure usage.

The idea behind iOS is not that it's full fledged but that it can provide you with enough functionallity that you can entertain yourself with, and that's the main point of a tablet, not coding or graphical design, or 3D.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."