Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    8 yrds away from RoP means pretty much one thing:

You can be 8 yrds away from the point where RoP was cast. This is basically saying it has a radius of 8rds, or a diameter of 16yrds.

How is this confusing?

- - - Updated - - -

If by "nothing to go on" you mean "Nothing excluding the official PTR patch notes" then yes, we have "nothing."

- - - Updated - - -

It is a 16yrd diameter based on the PTR notes. What you believe has no impact on what the PTR is in reality.
    Talents
    Rune of Power now has an increased effective range. The Mage can remain up to 8 yards away from their Rune of Power and still receive benefits to mana regeneration and spell damage (up from 3 yards).

Alright smart guys that is copy and pasted from the PTR notes. I'm going to try and say this as simply as possible so maybe you guys will get it. My argument it this on live it is not currently a 6 yard diameter circle it is a 4.5 yard circle so what the fuck is their definition of effective range? It also stated you can remain up to 8 yards away, this opens up to possibility that the rune size will be
    unchanged and you can travel outside of it 8 yards and have it act like you are still inside. Having said that do they measure from the exact center or the putter edge? The wording is convoluted but maybe you mages here are so pro status the devs check with you get your ok on the changes and that is how you are so cocksure.

Look, let's not tear each other to pieces. Let's just wait and see how big or small the Rune is whenever the change gets implemented, alright?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    Talents
    Rune of Power now has an increased effective range. The Mage can remain up to 8 yards away from their Rune of Power and still receive benefits to mana regeneration and spell damage (up from 3 yards).

Alright smart guys that is copy and pasted from the PTR notes. I'm going to try and say this as simply as possible so maybe you guys will get it. My argument it this on live it is not currently a 6 yard diameter circle it is a 4.5 yard circle so what the fuck is their definition of effective range? It also stated you can remain up to 8 yards away, this opens up to possibility that the rune size will be
    unchanged and you can travel outside of it 8 yards and have it act like you are still inside. Having said that do they measure from the exact center or the putter edge? The wording is convoluted but maybe you mages here are so pro status the devs check with you get your ok on the changes and that is how you are so cocksure.
    The "up from three" implies that the effect is an increase of the current one, not an additional 8yrds tacked onto the edge of the existing aura.

If you go and stand in RoP on live, it only works if you are inside the circle or exactly on it's edge. So it is infact a 6 yrd circle on the ground (evidenced by the "increased from 3" in the PTR notes). So effective range means from the center of the circle, aka the point it was cast at, outwards 3yrds in every direction. This change will now makes that 3yrds into 8yrds. Meaning the diameter of the aura will now be 16yrds, increased from 6.

I have no idea if the actual rune graphic is going to change sizes - who the fuck cares about that? The aura is what is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    I have no idea if the actual rune graphic is going to change sizes - who the fuck cares about that? The aura is what is important.
    Well, I use the visual to be able to tell if I'm in or not. While I can easily add another buff bar to the screen, I'd rather not when there's already a bright glowing circle on the ground...

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    Well, I use the visual to be able to tell if I'm in or not. While I can easily add another buff bar to the screen, I'd rather not when there's already a bright glowing circle on the ground...
    They could simply just add an effect pulsing out to max range. They've got an arcane style one on Jaina in the Hyjal raid, could easily steal it and keep the rune a reasonable size instead of having a bunch of blizzard-size runes over the landscape. I can't imagine it'd take much to throw up a new effect style either. They made one up for HTT. That's how I'd do it, anyway. Giant runes would look silly.

@Kenbud: Effective range is effect range+player hitbox. The totem effect is only 2.25 wide, but the player can stand, center of hitbox to center of effect radius, 3 yards away. Specifics on how effective range is calculated is next to pointless. The effect will be the size of blizzard.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2013-08-01 at 02:11 AM.

"Rune of Power now has a 5 yd buff range, up from standing on it."

Dat wording

So basically they decided that making a new graphic would take too long. So now we keep the old graphic but now we can stay 5 yards away from it. Nothing changed, it's still a 16 yard wide Rune of Power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rune of Power now has a 5 yd buff range, up from standing on it

Visually, how will we know, other than moving until we see no buff....maybe an aura type thing?

mechanics like that which lock you into place to receive their benefit are stupid in my opinion. That isn't a "fun" mechanic. Yes restrictions are sometimes a good thing, but what's the point of such a mechanic? Surely there are better ways to spice up the arcane playstyle than with a stationary buff like rune of power. Here's to seeing that ability go the way of the dodo next expansion!

Rune of Power now has a 5 yd buff range, up from standing on it.
    The wording of this made me chuckle

I would like a single bright and easy to see line (much like the rune itself) showing the border of the range. rather than having the full rune graphics extending the full distance.

standing on it>8 yd>5yd>? .... #%'!!/&%!!! ..stand on it ..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    Rune of Power now has a 5 yd buff range, up from standing on it

Visually, how will we know, other than moving until we see no buff....maybe an aura type thing?

To be honest I can barely see my Rune of Power at the moment, in amongst all the spell effect stuff going on at the moment, and stacking required on say for instance Jin Rokh 25 Hc... Personally I've set up a 'Tell Me When' that tells me if I have the buff. One could do the same with a weakaura.

For people who want a bigger VISUAL Rune of Power, well I've never seen such an obvious candidate for a minor glyph in all my days.

Last edited by mmocff35e03d88; 2013-08-02 at 09:19 AM.

Why not have something like the bubble of AMS

On PTR atm it has the Brilliance Aura rings emanating from the old Rune graphic. It's useable, but a little vague at times where the boundary is, because the Brilliance Aura rings pulse transparent and visible.
    Mage in <Strawberry Puppy Kisses> on Area 52

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ataxus View Post
    On PTR atm it has the Brilliance Aura rings emanating from the old Rune graphic. It's useable, but a little vague at times where the boundary is, because the Brilliance Aura rings pulse transparent and visible.
    The cloak proc doesn't seem to scale with RoP atm either. Nor arcane mastery however it's reflected in the tool-tip...Interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    for those who never learned to adapt to arcane in tot i feel sorry for you, i adapted to the movement and still out dps anyone in our raid on most fights

Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    for those who never learned to adapt to arcane in tot i feel sorry for you, i adapted to the movement and still out dps anyone in our raid on most fights
    Lets see them ranks then, Pro Status.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    The wording of this made me chuckle
    The change made me chuckle. Rather than put a small bit of work in and make the circle bigger, we'll just have to guess how far away from it we are :\
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    The change made me chuckle. Rather than put a small bit of work in and make the circle bigger, we'll just have to guess how far away from it we are :\
    Lol no there are pulsing rings coming out of it, I have a really bad screenie of it, you need a video to see how it displays. It looks bad in my screenie cause I caught the lines as they were fading and a new one pulsed immediately after.

Playing with it on the ptr, it feels like someone broke my shackles and I have all of this movement and room.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ujgt5g/5

Terrible pic of it, you have to see it to really...see it. If it was a video it'd be much better.

Yeah caught the lines as they were fading...I got really spoiled with it and when I went back on live I got dissappointed and re-shackled.