Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Glyph of Failed Mending: Anti-smart-healing?

I really don't see any reason why anyone would ever want to turn PoM into a dumb non-heal from the smart-heal it already is.

Since PoM only has a 20-yard jump range, but you can cast it on someone up to 40 yards away, you will not be healed if you cast it on a target 21 or more yards away and they take damage. Essentially, if you cast PoM on the tank this Glyph reduces the number of heals from 5 to 1. For no useful reason.

Worse, say you are standing right next to a bunch of folks taking damage that are within 20 yards from you but you are taking no damage. PoM will be FORCED to jump to you instead of someone who needs healing. Sit there. Wait for any damage, then if you do take damage unless that person you cast it on magically happens to still be standing within 20 yards of you it just falls-off. But if they are standing near enough to you then maybe it will jump back to them, even if they don't need any healing at all because it was FORCED to jump back to them.

The power of PoM is that it is a smart-heal. It will heal someone, then jump to another target within 20 yards that needs healing. A bunch of melee taking damage, cast one in there and it will bounce between them. This glyph would have it automatically jump back to you, assuming you stood within 20 yards, whether you really need it or not. This glyph just increases the chance your PoM charges will not be used.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this glyph would do anything other than make your PoM worse. It should be called "Glyph of Failed Mending".

Edit: And if you accidentally cast it on yourself, it can't jump to anyone and it will only heal once. Dumb.

Pretty sure that glyph is intended for arenas so you can reliably heal one team member and your healer even if the healer gets stunned, rather than it bouncing off to another non-healer.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Duke View Post
    Pretty sure that glyph is intended for arenas so you can reliably heal one team member and your healer even if the healer gets stunned, rather than it bouncing off to another non-healer.
    So a Glyph was created solely for 3's and 5's? Unbelievable. I still bet this glyph will cause PoM to expire prematurely because it will be difficult to stay within 20 yards of that target with grips, fears, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    So a Glyph was created solely for 3's and 5's? Unbelievable. I still bet this glyph will cause PoM to expire prematurely because it will be difficult to stay within 20 yards of that target with grips, fears, etc.
    There are other glyphs made solely for small-time PvP in mind as well.

And remember that the duration is refreshed to the max- if you/partner is unable to get within 20 yds of each other in 30 seconds, you have more to worry about then PoM falling off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    There are other glyphs made solely for small-time PvP in mind as well.

And remember that the duration is refreshed to the max- if you/partner is unable to get within 20 yds of each other in 30 seconds, you have more to worry about then PoM falling off.
    Except PoM doesn't wait 30 seconds if the target is taking damage. So any time you get more than 20 yards apart from your randomly selected target (not partner because normal PoM already behaves this way in 2's we are not talking about 2's) your PoM expires, even if someone is within 20 yards in your party that does need healing. They won't get healed. Because this glyph is the worst glyph ever.

Because this glyph is the worst glyph ever.
    Don't use it then.
    /thread
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Ill probably use it on some fights as shadow. It turns it into a reliable self CD. On a fight like Megaera if you pop it on another squishy dps (like a warrior). It'll do a considerable amount of healing to the two most needed targets. Or if you get targeted with a dot like the one on h-durumu and pop it on a tank you'll do a lot of healing to yourself

There are plenty of glyphs made exclusively for PvP. The Shadow Word: Death glyph comes to mind.

Don't like it? Don't use it. This thread is completely pointless.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    There are plenty of glyphs made exclusively for PvP. The Shadow Word: Death glyph comes to mind.

Don't like it? Don't use it. This thread is completely pointless.
    Then it is certainly worth discussing whether it is a more useful glyph for PVP than the other available PVP glyphs, since there are now a lot of PVP glyphs to choose from. And in assessing its usefulness, it is important to determine just exactly how changing the behavior of Prayer of Mending from jumping to the lowest health player in range to a specific player regardless of health (if in range) would compare. My assertion is that the 20 yard limit will cause people who take this glyph to get less healing procs from PoM than if they didn't. If fewer healing procs, but on specific targets is better in some way for PVP than some other glyph, then why?

Determining how this new "PVP" glyph compares to the others is certainly less than pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Ill probably use it on some fights as shadow. It turns it into a reliable self CD. On a fight like Megaera if you pop it on another squishy dps (like a warrior). It'll do a considerable amount of healing to the two most needed targets. Or if you get targeted with a dot like the one on h-durumu and pop it on a tank you'll do a lot of healing to yourself
    Very good examples! Normal PoM may bounce between you and another player with the dot, but the glyph "guarantees" it, albeit at the cost of a major glyph slot. Would DPS priests be willing to give-up a major glyph slot for it? Would they have to forgo on something that improves DPS?

Very good examples! Normal PoM may bounce between you and another player with the dot, but the glyph "guarantees" it, albeit at the cost of a major glyph slot. Would DPS priests be willing to give-up a major glyph slot for it? Would they have to forgo on something that improves DPS?
    DPS priests don't heal outside PvP. We, you know... DPS. And there's no glyphs that improve DPS anyways.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    DPS priests don't heal outside PvP. We, you know... DPS.
    A lot of shadow priest will still mana hymn for the group. Or pass out a quick Pom or shield or void shift when it looks like someone might die. Not all of us just tunnel dps all day and act like we can't give any support, or attempt to save a wipe.

has anyone tested this out yet?
    does it really bounce between you and the original target?. i had thought that it would work like normal pom, but always bounce back to you, but still choose a new target.

target a, me, target a, me, target a, me.
    or is it like target a, me, target b, me, target c, me
    instead of normal, target a, target b, me, target c, target a, me

edit: thinking about it more, it says it will always bounce back to you. does that mean it will bounce back to you regardless of distance? i think that would be cool. put it on someone they move 50 yards away get damage, it bounces all the way back to you, you take damage, it chooses a new target within 20 yards, cause that's what pom does, they take damage and jumps back to you no matter how far you are from them.
    Last edited by Alenoria; 2013-08-01 at 06:25 PM. Reason: other thoughts