Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Iron Horde and the next WoW expansion

I know this has probably been discussed before, but it is interesting nonetheless. For those who don't know, I'll let Joystiq explain it for you;

Datamining must always, always, always be taken with a pinch of salt, and in this instance we'd actually recommend a whole bag of salt. But nonetheless, it is fun to speculate, and this sort of thing has happened in the past and actually turned out to lead somewhere. Back in 2007, WoW Insider's Eliah Hecht reported on a section of the PTR client called "Howling Fjord", and wondered whether this might link to some future expansion taking place in Northrend. Guess what happened?

And now we have word that there is a new item under expansion05 on the PTR client. For clarity, as far as we know, we are currently on expansion number four. Again it's worth taking all of this with a very large pinch of salt, but while the file itself is simply a bit of grey stuff, the name of the folder it's in is "Iron Horde", and its name is nex_envmap01t.

Potential texture from the next expansion datamined in patch 54This is where we really start to speculate. This could be absolutely nothing. It could be a piece of iron that is in a horde area or on a horde outfit, or it could be the name of the next expansion. It could be the Horde's texture of an iron thing, or it could be a new offshoot of the "true Horde" that are coming to terrorize Azeroth in 6.0. Or it could be a red herring put there by the devs to confuse us.

Obviously, this is rampant, unapologetic speculation. It should not be taken as fact, and nor should anything else that's datamined, but it's fun to think about these sorts of things, right?
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/07/15/po...5-4/#continued

Now the texture crap has already been debunked as part of a larger icon, but "The Iron Horde" is very interesting, because it could mean several different things. My 2 guess are as follows;

1. Its the name of the new Horde that is formed after the fall of Garrosh.
    2. Its a new faction that forms after the fall of Garrosh and wages war against both the Alliance and the weakened Horde.

If its number 1, then it could be just a stronger unified force working together, and the "Iron" in the name could mean a stronger pact between the races.

However, "Iron" could also mean a higher industrial/technological push, brought on by the weakened state of the Horde, and their need for resources. We've seen the Goblins with the backing of Garrosh create some crazy technology during MoP, and that could continue depending on who leads the Horde after the end of MoP. This could facilitate a Tinker class.

If its number 2, then things get a bit wild. If its a new faction that threatens both the Horde and the Alliance, we need to consider how such a faction can become such a threat. There's only one way that could happen;

Titan Technology stolen from Pandaria. That's the only way a relatively small faction could rise into a dominant position of power so quickly in such a short amount of time. We know that both the Alliance and the Horde were looking for it. We also know that some was found and taken by Garrosh. Further, it would make sense that after SoO, some in both factions won't be happy about the results. Some on the Alliance will feel that Varian was too soft on the Horde, and defect, and those on the Horde would feel that Garrosh was doing a great job and defect. Both coming together and forming a new faction bent on defeating both factions.

Just speculation, but I definitely feel that the "Iron Horde" will be part of the next expansion in some form.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's from 5.4. Sometimes the last patch raid files make it into the next expansion files for some reason. Happened with the sunwell and WotLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
    It's from 5.4. Sometimes the last patch raid files make it into the next expansion files for some reason. Happened with the sunwell and WotLK.
    Thanks for the clarification. What exactly is "Iron Horde" in 5.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I'd imagine it'd be what Garrosh's followers are calling themselves, if i had to guess.

slime

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexday14 View Post
    I'd imagine it'd be what Garrosh's followers are calling themselves, if i had to guess.
    They call themselves "The True Horde". I haven't seen any of them call themselves "The Iron Horde" (yet).

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the art team's nickname for the Kor'kron Loyalists--a lot of models have interesting nicknames or just generic, descriptive names that don't match their lore or ingame names.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

They call themselves "The True Horde". I haven't seen any of them call themselves "The Iron Horde" (yet).
    Good point, maybe it's what the Horde rebels are calling them?

slime

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Probably the art team's nickname for the Kor'kron Loyalists--a lot of models have interesting nicknames or just generic, descriptive names that don't match their lore or ingame names.
    I would hope not. "The Iron Horde" is a pretty awesome name.

lol nice try bro

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

I'm hoping it's Garrosh loyalists in the next expansion. True Horde feels cliché. Even if it's something random, I hope Garrosh loyalists will exist next expansion in the Barrens or something.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    A graphical texture for a piece of iron work attached to a Horde flag.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    A graphical texture for a piece of iron work attached to a Horde flag.

EJL
    That really doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    That really doesn't make sense.
    Actually given how the texture in question is an environment map, then yes that makes more sense than the conspiracy theorists like to admit.
    It is a texture simulating the reflection of the surroundings.
    Therefore it makes a lot of sense to be a metal surface made of iron, with some relation to the horde.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-30 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexday14 View Post
    I think Iron Horde is actually refering to what the texture belongs to, the piece that the texture belongs to is iron and it is part of a horde banner hence iron horde

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a texture for chains in SoO.

Either it's mis-filed, or it's also a resource for chains in the post-Garrosh horde. Which uses standard Iron rather than Dark Iron/Saronite.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems strange that a faction name would be used for material or as the name of a texture. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    I'm hoping it's Garrosh loyalists in the next expansion. True Horde feels cliché. Even if it's something random, I hope Garrosh loyalists will exist next expansion in the Barrens or something.
    That would be pretty cool. Exiled orcs believing Garrosh to be a martyrs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iron Horde is a metal band from Denmark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCooES6kFlY
    Here come the Irish.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that it was said to be for this banner:
    http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...xpansion05.jpg
    It even went on the front page
    Last edited by Faldorf; 2013-07-30 at 04:40 AM.

Omg too many people trying to overthink things to be the one to figure out the next expac.

This is nothing more then a texture file used to give sheen to iron chains in the Siege raid. It's labeled as IronHorde, because it's goes on Iron Chains in the Horde areas of the raid.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.