Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Rob padro returning as lead designer for expac 5? What will happen to GC?

ht tp: //i.imgur. com /xzohXU1. png

I saw this post on reddit. Also, many people seem to think Rob is coming back for expansion 5 but I have heard nothing about it till now.
    Is this correct?

If Rob is indeed coming back and is being given the creative freedom, I think expansion 5 might be something very amazing. Let us not forget that most of the Titan team is now working on WoW too.

Rob Padro's team's last creation in WoW was Ulduar. However, if Rob is back, does this mean GC gets shunted to some other department? It does make sense, I mean GC has not been able to even stop the decline in subs and at some point the shareholders and consumers just want change of leadership to breath some fresh life into things.

Anyone knows more about this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why all the moronic GC hate? You honestly think a game this old can hold 10+ million subs with the f2p market being the way it is now? What could GC, one man, and not even in control of the entire game do to stop it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    O please, GC isn't getting demoted, moved, fired, or anything like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the pic, I'm guessing it was from wikipedia. Which doesn't actually list that. Considering it was removed and that [4] doesn't actually show a source, it looks like bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Why all the moronic GC hate? You honestly think a game this old can hold 10+ million subs with the f2p market being the way it is now? What could GC, one man, and not even in control of the entire game do to stop it?
    I did not say anything against GC. You seem overly defensive but I am just excited that Rob is coming back. Not to mention that given the fact that WoW has only lost subs under GC, it would not be surprising to see him moved off to another project. It's nothing against GC, it's just how business works. Stockholders will eventually want answers and someone to be held accountable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, GC is the Lead Systems Designer, not Lead Designer like Pardo was (who was 1 of 3 with Chilton and Kaplan). Tom Chilton is still Lead Designer of WoW.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-30 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant even get the photo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    From the pic, I'm guessing it was from wikipedia. Which doesn't actually list that. Considering it was removed and that [4] doesn't actually show a source, it looks like bullshit.
    It did have a source but it was only a hint that he was working on Expansion 5. Didn't say ANYTHING about Lead Designer

Link to the revision info for the delete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=545219170

Link to the sourced reference:

http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comm...n-in-the-works

Tweet that started the speculation:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Pardo/status...98014640205824

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like you got fooled.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ngs-Blue-Posts this seems relevant to this thread, just thought i'd leave it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can vaguely remember mention of him being excited to come back onto the team for expansion 5 quite a while back. Not sure that it mentioned him being lead designer though.

Looks like that was removed from his credits though. Probably edited in by the creator of that image for the sake of making it.

It's off of Twitter, actually:

http://twitter.com/Rob_Pardo/status/261898014640205824

As for GC, love him or hate him, the numbers don't lie. The bleeding started on his watch and he and his team haven't been able to slow it down, let alone stanch the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    I can vaguely remember mention of him being excited to come back onto the team for expansion 5 quite a while back. Not sure that it mentioned him being lead designer though.

Looks like that was removed from his credits though. Probably edited in by the creator of that image for the sake of making it.

Or blizz is keeping the news under wraps so they can announce it when they're ready? ( I really hope this is the case)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    If it was designed like it was in the first 3 installments, Yes. The game has all the potential to run strong for 10+ years so long as it is maintained well. But poor design is like poor maintenance. When something lacks quality, it brakes down and dies. I agree that F2P, social gaming, mobile and increased competition has taken a chop at the lost subs. But when you're down to 7+million subs, and trending towards half of what you once were, you need to open up your eyes and take an hard, honest, unbiased look. There is something definitely wrong with the design direction of the game, and it needs to be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neuron View Post
    I did not say anything against GC. You seem overly defensive but I am just excited that Rob is coming back. Not to mention that given the fact that WoW has only lost subs under GC, it would not be surprising to see him moved off to another project. It's nothing against GC, it's just how business works. Stockholders will eventually want answers and someone to be held accountable.
    GC isn't even responsible for most of the things people complain about (raids, dungeons, daily quests, etc.). This is his role as Lead Systems Designer: "Systems design specifically is everything that is not level, story, quest or encounter design. My team handles everything from classes to mechanics to items to trade skills to achievements to UI design, and that includes the game balance."
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-30 at 05:24 AM.

Seriously, I bet at least 9/10 of the GC haters don't even know what exactly is under his power in WoW.

Pretty much is account EVERYTHING to the most apparent face. The same behavior that put votes to waste in democracy. Disdain for true knowledge of due responsibility.

I don't think you know the difference between lead designer and lead systems designer which is what gc is. Hint: They're not even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB Kaplan back from Titan. Notice he left WoW team after Wrath and it's been downhill (subs and reputation wise) since then.

What is with this bizarre cult of personality?

However, if Rob is back, does this mean GC gets shunted to some other department? It does make sense, I mean GC has not been able to even stop the decline in subs and at some point the shareholders and consumers just want change of leadership to breath some fresh life into things.
    I hate everything about this post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Seriously, I bet at least 9/10 of the GC haters don't even know what exactly is under his power in WoW.
    Well I think a lot of his job is to take flak from angry forumites 24/7, so the rest of the design team doesn't have to hear that shit. Seems to work pretty well, so many people on these forums think GC is some kind of President of the United States of WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying GC couldn't stop sub loss is most certainly a knock against him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.