Page 21 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    It's probably the same people who think that a transmog helm = pay2win.
    be a smartass if you want but you folks who think that going from 500% more powerful than a raid's intended level to 100% more powerful than the intended level won't affect soloing, then you're the fools

figure 5 of the item squish article on wow's site clearly shows linear progression with an ilvl jump IF you have raid gear from bc/wotlk/cata/mop

when you're leveling through, you will progress linearly from 1-90 with the current model. what this does is allow raid gear to be better than the starter quest gear you get (more like the bc to wotlk increase just more linear)

the elite who had sunwell gear cleared naxx in it. the average player couldn't have cleared naxx in sunwell gear, but they didn't have sunwell gear anyway
    the squish proposed by blizz uses a linear progression from 1-90 based on quest/crafted gear with the only large jumps via raid tiers

this is perfect and this would put a level 90 at the level of a 75

go solo sunwell at 75
    otherwise, admit you're wrong because scaling a boss down so that a slightly smaller raid AT LEVEL can kill the content AT LEVEL means the loss of stats from inflated ilvls at later levels will DEFINITELY affect soloing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Really? Give me the source where it says Virtual Realms aren't happening.

Also, 5.1 had more content than some major patches did back in the day.

And, to add to that, 5.2 had more content than nearly every major patch WoW has had.

It's definitely poor content. Yup.
    When people say "poor content" or "lack of content", they really mean content that doesn't cater to them while ignoring all the actual content that is put in the game.

There are two separate things being asked for here. One is an item squish, the other is just an across the board reduction in how high the numbers are.

Why so many people get so upset over big numbers existing is mind boggling to me. It seems more like a mental condition or phobia than anything else. This is something that is truly cosmetic only. Absolutely every statistic in the game would be decreased by a proportionate amount. Basically just moving decimal places. It is simply a visual layover that would change the larger numbers in the system to display as smaller numbers to the player. There is no reason to do it.

The second thing, the actual "item squish" as Blizzard calls it is something completely different and is in no way proportionate. An item squish as Blizzard has explained it before is where they would go back to all of the different tiers of each previous expansions content and basically remove the increase in ilvl. So for example, whatever the ilvl of the first tier raid gear was, would be the new ilvl for all of the tiers of that expansion. Then the normal ilvl increase for gear throughout the leveling process until you reach the frist tier of that expansion, etc. The reason for this is because the majority of the ilvl increase is due to the increases between raid tiers, not necessarily between expansions or general leveling. This would dramatically affect overall player power and how it relates to others in the world. This would also require a ton of work on Blizzards part. I just don't see them doing this. Beyond the crazy amount of work and retuning, the majority of the player base would not want this to happen. It would kill soloing as we currently know it and also leave players feeling drastically nerfed along with some other unknown issues and side affects.

Crazy enough though, this is the kind of squish that most people are actually referring to when they ask for it. They feel that somehow being able to one shot a monster that they used to not be able to kill just isn't acceptable, or that you should still need to get a giant group of people together in order to do outdated content. Just something else I don't quite understand.

I don't think Blizzard is going to do anything unless it is simply a decimal adjustment and only if it is required due to code limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    If there is an item squish, i'm going to stop playing.

I don't really care if my "relative power" is exactly the same, going from hundreds of thousands of health and damage to a couple thousand if i'm lucky just feels like going backwards to me and I don't like that in a RPG, especially one that has been so "OMG GEAR UP, GET MORE POWERFUL, ITS ALL THAT MATTERS" for so many years. That is beside all the other collateral damage there will be like soloing old content and so on which I have absolutely zero faith that they can maintain as it is while everything is scaled down.

It's their own damn fault for having such monumental jumps in power even between 2 different tiers of gear within the same expansion together, then between expansions its an even more ludicrous increase. They shouldn't have done it that way in the first place, but the damage is done, all they can do is slow it down or just roll with it. I mean does it really matter if we end up doing millions of DPS? Who does it hurt?
    people who like RPG hated the HUGE jump in stats. we went from heroic guys to fucking superheroes
    it's depressing to see all these epic "bosses" in old raids become loot pinatas. i'm having more problems with level 90 cranes than i am with ragnaros in MC
    that's fucked up and needs to be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    That makes zero sense. You will have the same "power" as before but you don't want to visually see low numbers even though everything gets squished? I think the word over reacting applys here.
    I explained earlier how character progression is an important aspect of RPGs, just completely ignoring that doesn't make any sense at all.

Overall, I don't honestly care what they do as long as they scale back older content as well. Squish or not when it comes to raiding, a dead boss is a dead boss, and that's all that matters. So bigger numbers or smaller numbers don't mean much to me.

the way i look at it is xpacks are a progression of your character to gain more power, not less. I dont like the idea of a squish. Im lvl95 and have trouble soloing old content? Blizzard always fucks something up and labels it as working as intended. All for the sake of people who have prejudice towards Zeros (0).

Zito- That makes zero sense. You will have the same "power" as before but you don't want to visually see low numbers even though everything gets squished? I think the word over reacting applys here.

Thats two words according to your post!
    Last edited by xuros; 2013-07-30 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezus View Post
    There are two separate things being asked for here. One is an item squish, the other is just an across the board reduction in how high the numbers are.

Why so many people get so upset over big numbers existing is mind boggling to me. It seems more like a mental condition or phobia than anything else. This is something that is truly cosmetic only. Absolutely every statistic in the game would be decreased by a proportionate amount. Basically just moving decimal places. It is simply a visual layover that would change the larger numbers in the system to display as smaller numbers to the player. There is no reason to do it.

The second thing, the actual "item squish" as Blizzard calls it is something completely different and is in no way proportionate. An item squish as Blizzard has explained it before is where they would go back to all of the different tiers of each previous expansions content and basically remove the increase in ilvl. So for example, whatever the ilvl of the first tier raid gear was, would be the new ilvl for all of the tiers of that expansion. Then the normal ilvl increase for gear throughout the leveling process until you reach the frist tier of that expansion, etc. The reason for this is because the majority of the ilvl increase is due to the increases between raid tiers, not necessarily between expansions or general leveling. This would dramatically affect overall player power and how it relates to others in the world. This would also require a ton of work on Blizzards part. I just don't see them doing this. Beyond the crazy amount of work and retuning, the majority of the player base would not want this to happen. It would kill soloing as we currently know it and also leave players feeling drastically nerfed along with some other unknown issues and side affects.

Crazy enough though, this is the kind of squish that most people are actually referring to when they ask for it. They feel that somehow being able to one shot a monster that they used to not be able to kill just isn't acceptable, or that you should still need to get a giant group of people together in order to do outdated content. Just something else I don't quite understand.

I don't think Blizzard is going to do anything unless it is simply a decimal adjustment and only if it is required due to code limitations.
    you are of course wrong
    most of you are wrong and there is no excuse, read the damn article that blizz wrote, they even included a damn graph

if you quested 1-90, your ilvl increase would be linear
    if you raided at 60, the gear you get from bwl would be better than the quest gear you get from most of the quests in bc content (no naxx = no final tier) but the gear you get from heroic ICC would be better than anything you get outside of normal bwd

that's SIMILAR to the vanilla to bc and bc to wotlk transition but people in MC gear were seeing more stam on some quest items in hellfire peninsula so even that had ilvl inflation

Quote Originally Posted by itemsquish View Post
    people who like RPG hated the HUGE jump in stats. we went from heroic guys to fucking superheroes
    it's depressing to see all these epic "bosses" in old raids become loot pinatas. i'm having more problems with level 90 cranes than i am with ragnaros in MC
    that's fucked up and needs to be fixed
    If you'd still have problems with Ragnaros at level 90, it means that your character has barely increased in power. That would be a problem in an RPG.

Deleted
    The numbers are just too big, in earlier expansions you could see the difference between two numbers more easily.
    These days you have 100, 200, 400ks flying all over your screens.

I'm all for the squish, stat numbers are just silly now.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    the way i look at it is xpacks are a progression of your character to gain more power, not less. I dont like the idea of a squish. Im lvl95 and have trouble soloing old content? Blizzard always fucks something up and labels it as working as intended. All for the sake of people who have prejudice towards Zeros (0).
    NOBODY has proposed ANYTHING that takes away progression, the proposal is to remove exponential progression. instead of being 500% more powerful at 90 than you were at 80, you'll be about 10% more powerful

i have a feeling that old players who actually liked MMORPGs and linear progression will love it. the people who fucked the game up and are leaving in droves because they were never staying around longterm anyway will whine about how it's hard to pay attention

those are the folks who still need help soloing bwl

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    If you die in 2 hits before the item squish you will die in 2 hits after the item squish. The squish is just to visually reduce damage numbers while still retaining the "power" another option other then the item squish was to abbreviate like instead of 1,000 it would be 1k
    Well we'll see what happens when we know how Blizzard actually plans to do it. I'll feel much better if the person with the pvp set above me only has 50-100 more agility rather than 5,000 more agility.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    If you'd still have problems with Ragnaros at level 90, it means that your character has barely increased in power. That would be a problem in an RPG.
    RPG is about steady, slow progression
    if you and a buddy could kick his ass at 90, it's damn sure better than the 40 it took to kill him in vanilla

that's progression in every sense of the word

here, let me form an argument for you since you're having trouble:
    i want godmode

that better? item squish will seriously hinder godmode

What you said in the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman12 View Post
    "Tencent: How will you deal with bigger and bigger numbers in the next expansion? I think it is time to do something with it.
    Ghostcrawler: We have considered this problem and we will reduce players' stats in the next expansion."-snip-
    What the front page says:

The item level squish might (will?) take place next expansion.
    This is why I've grown very loathsome of rabid reactionary fandom...

if you and a buddy could kick his ass at 90, it's damn sure better than the 40 it took to kill him in vanilla

that's progression in every sense of the word

here, let me form an argument for you since you're having trouble:
    i want godmode

that better? item squish will seriously hinder godmode
    Oh thanks, thought I had to think of things myself on this forum. Well, since we all seem to want godmode, better give it to us then.
    Oh no, wait, that's not what I said, silly you.

-snip-
    Funny... last I saw, "RPGs" were about playing the role of a character by the design and the methods/goals you want to play it. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    I explained earlier how character progression is an important aspect of RPGs, just completely ignoring that doesn't make any sense at all.
    Visual numbers are not character progression. Especially when you will still be gaining power it's just visually you wont see so many numbers at one time on the screen. That's the whole point of this thing is to remove so many inflated numbers. You still are the same "power" there is still a verticle progression it's just you wont see 13596589076305498 across your fucking screen.

Don't be blunt
    Last edited by zito; 2013-07-30 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    What you said in the OP:

Indeed, people getting their knickers in a knot over pretty much nothing right now. Why can't we all wait till we get some official info before blowing our tops! hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    What you said in the OP:

The actual translation is "will". They even show it in the posted translation of the interview.
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Tencent: How will you deal with bigger and bigger numbers in the next expansion? I think it is time to do something with it.
    Ghostcrawler: We have considered this problem and we will reduce players' stats in the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    That's the only aspect of it all that irritates me. But they can fix that by pulling some storyline hocus pocus out of their ass.
    That's what Chris Metzen was hired to do