Page 41 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alianora View Post
    What? I'm not sure what's complicated about 4-6 digit numbers versus 2-4. You're being silly.
    Level 100. You will now be critting for 21726291 damage. The quest green helmet increases your damage by 29184. You now have 5837134 health.

Level 110. You will now be critting for 21947104828428324051021 damage, you have 10214928428422121 health, but you lost 91024912412512 health from your last fight. Good thing you have a bandage that heals for 12941924912824 health.

Try using big numbers in everything you do. Next time you go for a drive, dont think that you are going 60 miles an hour, think that you are going 630531 inches an hour. Next time you do your taxes, dont think that you are getting a 3415$ tax break, think that you are getting 20124 nickels back.
    Dont think that you have 8 hour workday tomorrow, think you have a 802159381214912411 femtosecond workday tomorrow. You can count down as the workday draws to a close when theres only 102184175136263 femtoseconds left.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is that my silliness doesn't take up developer time that could, arguably, be better spent elsewhere. :P
    They're obviously wasting their time on something they feel is a necessary change...

Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    I said more complicated than it needs to be. If you can make something less complicated without sacrificing gameplay, why not do it?

An example, when I hit a mob with frost bolt, I'd rather see 1421 damage than 1 421 743 which is soon going to happen at the current rate.
    It affects gameplay when developer time is taken away from other things.

And I'd prefer 1.42k or 1.42m over either :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why K's and M's aren't a feasible workaround, that should solve that issue rather easily.
    "Still we think there are a lot of good reasons to get numbers down to more parsable levels."

K's and M's aren't a long-term solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They're obviously wasting their time on something they feel is a necessary change...
    I am not seeing the necessity here.

- - - Updated - - -

And what reasons would those be?

And your not going to.

Are people really still against the squish? It just seems logical now that we're seeing tanks break 1m health even before the final patch is out (granted that's with last stand etc popped). I don't mind 100k's too much but when next expansion with the usual stat inflation everyone will be over 1m with a fresh 90.

It's a game-wide percentage drop so I don't know why people believe it'll hurt soloing old content. Sure we may only be doing 10-20k dps at 95 but for example Lucifron might have ~15,000 health.

Deleted
    It affects gameplay when developer time is taken away from other things.

And I'd prefer 1.42k or 1.42m over either :P
    We don't know anything about the development infrastructure at Blizzard. I'd rather they spend time at this permanent change than on one or two raid bosses that will be irrelevant after a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    And your not going to.
    I'm not sure what this means. No one has given an actual, logical reason for the squish in this thread. In fact, people have pointed out that it is actually NOT necessary versus BEING necessary.

Please give me some reasons for the item squish. Technological limitations are not an issue, as explained in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account

And what reasons would those be?
    Why don't you ask Blizzard? They're the ones so dead-set on making the squish happen. They know a lot more about how it would affect the game than anyone on these forums.

K's and M's aren't a long-term solution. It doesn't actually fix anything, it's just a cosmetic change.

Their excuse in the first place for the larger health pools in Cata was that it would make PvP more balanced and less bursty. But it was clear the minute Cata came out that they blew that whole philosophy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    It isn't only about it being complicated, part of it will be because people will feel weaker. We could reduce everyone's salary by a factor 3 or 4 digits, but do you think people would be happy to make penny's when they are making dollars.

It seems extreme,but it is relevant. People like seeing big numbers, they like to feel like they hit them so hard that they crit for over 100k. It was the same in vanilla, people were excited when they broke 1k damage.

They could make everyones damage based around 100hp and raid bosses hp would scale down with level, but that wouldn't be any fun.

You're lvl 60. You go to Sunwell Plateau and you get stomped to the ground because you don't have the reduction needed and you do awful damage.

And then..
    You're lvl 70. You go to Sunwell Plateau, you can survive dmg you take and you do x% more dmg because you're in a raid of your or lower lvl.

Why don't you ask Blizzard? They're the ones so dead-set on making the squish happen. They know a lot more about how it would affect the game than anyone on these forums.

K's and M's aren't a long-term solution. It doesn't actually fix anything, it's just a cosmetic change.
    And that's all that is needed, for cosmetic issues.

Blizzard's stated reasons have been that big numbers "feel weird" and computational issues, which were addressed with the 64-bit client and the fact that most players run the game on 64 bit systems now.

Deleted
    Please give me some reasons for the item squish. Technological limitations are not an issue, as explained in this thread.
    As mentioned earlier:
    Level 110. You will now be critting for 21947104828428324051021 damage, you have 10214928428422121 health, but you lost 91024912412512 health from your last fight. Good thing you have a bandage that heals for 12941924912824 health.
    Ms and Ks won't really help at that point, it'll just confuse players, especially newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    As mentioned earlier:

Ms and Ks won't really help at that point, it'll just confuse players, especially newer ones.
    What? What is so confusing about Ks and Ms? You can even have the K and the M be different colors, a different font or different font sizes so you can tell at a glance which letter is which.

10+ Year Old Account
    And that's all that is needed, for cosmetic issues.

Blizzard's stated reasons have been that big numbers "feel weird" and computational issues, which were addressed with the 64-bit client and the fact that most players run the game on 64 bit systems now.
    I guess you know better than the people who make the game...

I guess you know better than the people who make the game...
    You don't need to know much about the game to know these things. :P

Blizzard might have other, unstated reasons for such a change, but I'm not sure what those reasons could be.

What? What is so confusing about Ks and Ms? You can even have the K and the M be different colors, a different font or different font sizes so you can tell at a glance which letter is which.
    That would just look stupid. The squish isn't just for cosmetic reasons, I already explained the stat inflation problem.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    That would just look stupid. The squish isn't just for cosmetic reasons, I already explained the stat inflation problem.
    There isn't a stat inflation problem...or at least, not a problem that couldn't be addressed in other ways.

I'm going to bed, thanks for the conversation everyone.

Deleted
    I don't really care what happens to be honest. Although I do prefer a bit lower numbers (as in wotlk), makes it easier to appreciate numbers.