Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    NPC buffs are canceled upon entering the gauntlet

I wasn't sure lol, but it makes me feel stronger!

I've come to the conclusion that Liadri is the most poorly designed fight I have ever encountered in any game possibly ever. It is so precision based there is little to no room for error. All things being equal perhaps that would be acceptable, but they're not.

Latency plays a huge factor. One shot mechanics aside, it can mean the difference in successfully strafing her Necrotic Grasps, which if you can't completely destroys using any 'glass' build since you won't have enough HP left for the actual fight when you get to it. (I'm sure having a decent gaming system/setup makes a noticeable difference as well, but since I don't have access to one I have no way to test that theory.) The RNG of the orb placement practically decides a win or loss on a whim.

The fact that a significant portion of the fight is based on making things difficult to see (not even talking about the 'solar flare' since that can be disabled) is a cheap tactic. There are threads upon threads of people, like myself, who have difficulty seeing where the Shadowfalls land. Having to make so many attempts to memorize their pattern because you can't actually see them is ridiculous. God help you if you're colorblind.

Misclicking basically anything is more often than not an instant game over, the whole encounter is that unforgiving. Accidental weapon swapping, dodging, activation of the wrong ability, etc. Things that, at least for me, are common occurrences in any other area of gameplay.

This is all aside from the near complete dependence on one-shot abilities as a method of "difficulty". I'm sorry, but there's no way I can consider that an accurate measure of player skill. It's like saying if you blink at the wrong time you're a sucky player.

I feel like I've been trolled into attempting this encounter at all. It's not only just as bad as I figured it would be it's actually a lot worse. It's been the most miserable amount of time I have spent gaming in years. Despite it being the most unfun thing I could possibly do (outside of some other method of self harm :P) I've kept at it because it bugs the Hell out of me that people like in this thread claim it's so easy. Whatever.

Having said all that, my best attempt so far is 10% whereby I got screwed over by an orb pull with everything on cooldown, so that was awesome. -_-

Edit: Incidentally, nothing in GW2 has made me hate the downed state more than the gauntlet. Unless the opponent is two rock throws from dead it showcases what a useless mechanic it really is.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-08-25 at 01:08 AM.

Deleted
    As an ele main, I`ve hated the downed mechanic since beta. Only use for it is in wvws where you sometimes get to re-enter a keep, rest of time, a complete waste of time.
    Join our rants on the forums, we`re asking for a suicide button

100% with you on this fight, it is bloody awful.
    Main problem I had, was I play full sized fat charr, so can`t see half of the crap that goes on to start with.
    Did try it on my asurat ranger, life was much easier, except for the floor.
    In end thought feck that, bad enough having to run all the way back too.

Ah well, few dozen tickets looted, hundreds looted on my engie whilst levelling fast, hope we get to vendor these like could the vote tokens...

P.S. Now you know why there are no raids in gw2.
    Just imagine the state that mess`d be

So I've decided to give Liadri a shot based on the video zito linked, done about 20 tries on my zerker warrior and kept failing massively as soon as p2 started :/
    Switched to my condition necro and killed her in about 10 tries.

I used the armor+regen+damage boosters on both characters. The warrior healing signet is actually ridiculous, makes p1 a lot easier. But alas, conditions during p2 are pretty sweet.

I have to agree with Lane though, this is really poor design. 90% of the difficulty comes from RNG and visually impairing the player, I mean what the heck.
    I don't even want to imagine doing this if you're colour blind :/

Glad this is over...

I have to add though, this is the first time GW2 managed to give me a proper adrenaline rush I enjoyed in other competitive MMOs.

I tried on my necro and failed colossally. Even with a regen booster + regen food I lost HP at an astronomical rate in P1, in fact, unless I was precisely timed on my dodge after the 3rd orb Liadri's leap usually killed me. I tried for an hour and didn't get anywhere with it. Those Necrotic Grasps of hers are really hard to avoid, at least for me. It looks like it's not going to hit me on my screen, but then I get hit more often than not (and yes I've been strafing exactly as instructed). The siphoning in the build I used ended up being mostly useless since she's immune for all of P1 and that's when I really needed it.

I had by far the most success with the defensive warrior build I linked, but finding safe spots in P2 is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I honestly don't know how the people in the videos do it. When I'm in there the whole floor looks red (Liadri has seriously given me a complex about my vision >_>), all the time, and if I find a spot that isn't it's pure luck. I can't exactly memorize where to go if I rarely ever see spots to go to and I've certainly spent more than enough time in there to figure out a pattern if possible. If I can stomach another round of attempts I might see if I have enough invulnerability and endurance to just stay in one spot. I'm thinking no (especially because I doubt latency is going to support precisely timed dodges), but I never tried it.

- - - Updated - - -

>:P

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    So I've decided to give Liadri a shot based on the video zito linked, done about 20 tries on my zerker warrior and kept failing massively as soon as p2 started :/
    Switched to my condition necro and killed her in about 10 tries.
    After I read this I got on my necro and did some attempts. Took me about 6-7 attempts and I was able to get her down. I didn't use any boosters and the food I used was rare veggie pizza.

I used the build this guy used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-METDsu_4W0

Signet of the Locust helps a ton with dodging the necrotic grasps and getting around the arena easier. The hardest part honestly on my necro was just trying to survive phase 1 sometimes. There'd be some fights where I felt I was in total control and dodging all the necrotic grasps, but then other attempts where I'd get screwed so hard I'd get killed on the very first orb lol

I saved grasping dead only for orbs, and I actually forgot to pop signet of spite at the start of phase 2 and it wasn't til she was half way dead I remembered. I was in the downed state when she died too, but I had so many dots on her she died before me.

I did a bunch of attempts on my elem, and then switched to guardian and it got easier. I was getting further in my attempts and had a couple where she was just 1 or 2 hits from dying. Phase 1 was really easy on my guardian, but phase 2 was a little more difficult.

On the necro phase 2 was so much easier just because with the condition damage you don't really have to worry about your dps, and with the scepter none of the mobs are gonna block any of your casts so all your damage goes to Liadri. Since you're not so concerned with dps it's easier to be aware of the arena and everything else that's going on. I had less tunnel vision. The problem I kept having on my guardian was having to worry about which way I was facing her when I was casting, all the clones absorbing my hits, and I just wasn't doing that much damage so phase 2 was lasting pretty long.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-08-25 at 07:12 PM.