Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    SWG closing had nothing really to do with how the game was performing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well. Not the big ones. The little no-name ones go belly up all the time.
    Actually, a lot of the "little" ones get re-branded or marketed in other territories.

It's kind of rare to have an MMO truly "die" out- as in completely cease operation. Especially in the western markets.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterAsc View Post
    Awesome, Thanks guys! Just bought the game, DLing it atm!
    If you want a recap on what has happened so far in GW2's "Living Story" here's a good video to catch you up....

Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-08-09 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually, a lot of the "little" ones get re-branded or marketed in other territories.

It's kind of rare to have an MMO truly "die" out- as in completely cease operation. Especially in the western markets.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLPC0-zUZro

RIP Yogurting, we hardly knew you. It never made the jump to the US for some strange reason, and has been erased from the internet. There are a few out there gone for good, but they are mostly niche worlds, Korean and grindy. Luna died too I think. I think you're right though, with three exceptions I think I can log on to any mmo account I've ever had. I miss Ultima Online the most though.
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    that lion thing?
    linking to the video seems to be the only way to find images where the character's head isn't replaced by Simba from the lion king.
    http://youtu.be/Dh_0neHhR0k?t=1m16s
    Last edited by hrugner; 2013-08-08 at 06:57 AM. Reason: responding to a poster I didn't notice

Deleted
    I picked it up myself about a month ago and having a blast. I'm playing on Aurora Glade EU, and there's plenty of people everywhere. Most group events I am able to complete by saying in map chat that it's going on (but of course not always, depends on when I'm playing)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice thread.

Probably gonna check it out myself sometime soonish :-)

I bought it last summer and didn't regret it since I played it 2-3 months, but I hardly log on now since there's only PVP left for me, and the only PVP I like there is world vs world, but it can be annoying to run around endlessly without mounts and then get somewhere and get ganked by a huge army. People keep saying there's a ton of things to do in GW2, but when I come home from school/work and I want to entertain myself in a game, finding hidden vistas isn't really my idea of satisfaction, as compared to skill-shooting a bunch of players in CS 1.6/CS Source, if you understand what I mean. Just cause there's stuff to do doesn't mean it's stuff that makes you go "Oh this is so FUN!". WoW has a ton of things to do too but I'd rather lick my carpet for 2 hours before I do daily quests or pet battles.

I think I'm just spoiled by Firefall and the prospect of what Everquest Next is promising us.

I also enjoyed GW1 more than GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta View Post
    I bought it last summer and didn't regret it since I played it 2-3 months, but I hardly log on now since there's only PVP left for me, and the only PVP I like there is world vs world, but it can be annoying to run around endlessly without mounts and then get somewhere and get ganked by a huge army. People keep saying there's a ton of things to do in GW2, but when I come home from school/work and I want to entertain myself in a game, finding hidden vistas isn't really my idea of satisfaction, as compared to skill-shooting a bunch of players in CS 1.6/CS Source, if you understand what I mean. Just cause there's stuff to do doesn't mean it's stuff that makes you go "Oh this is so FUN!". WoW has a ton of things to do too but I'd rather lick my carpet for 2 hours before I do daily quests or pet battles.

I think I'm just spoiled by Firefall and the prospect of what Everquest Next is promising us.

I also enjoyed GW1 more than GW2.
    Have you taken the opportunity to try out the Queen's Jubilee?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

1. Last played this game about 8 months ago. Started up again earlier this week. Leveling a new toon and the game seems just as new as ever, if not even busier now than it was then. Plenty of people leveling, cities are crawling with people, etc.
    2. Last played this game about 8 months ago. Did not have to resub. Logged in and everything was right where I left it. Nuff said.
    3. There's 24 (I think) servers. All but 3 or 4 are Very High or Full pop. The rest are High pop.

This game is as far from dying as it gets. Almost a year on, it's healthier than ever. No matter, I recommend any and every fan of MMOs try GW2. It is the most innovative MMO currently on the market and should be checked out for this reason alone. It may not keep you hooked for hundreds of days played but it will give you an interesting leveling experience and most likely 100+ hours of playtime, which is as much or more than you would expect from any $50-60 game. The fact that your account, your characters and your accomplishments are yours forever, with no subscription required, ever, does add a LOT of value.

Other thoughts: every time I take an extended break from WoW, when I come back I have to relearn my characters from scratch and it feels like walking a straight line with a stack of bowls balanced on my head while I say the ABCs backwards. Relearning a whole spellbook for a max level character is mental gymnastics. Eight months away from GW2 and my core abilities haven't changed at all. Not really relevant but wanted to get that off my chest. Secondly, to emphasize: I really DO think there are more players today than there were when I was last active. I think I've discovered where those hundred thousand+ subscribers/month WoW is bleeding are ending up. I'm certainly one of them...
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-08-10 at 11:27 PM.

I sort of have a similar question... Got back into WoW a little while back (boredom of current steam library mostly) and after farming and LFRing I just can't get into it like I was in Vanilla -> Wrath. I have GW2 and leveled a little when I bought it about 6 months back (necro, much more squishy than my d2lod necros...) but was kind of lonely (I was a plant guy, probably more to do with it being a bad race than server pop [Fort Aspenwood]).

I'm close to unsubbing WoW (forever this time), and since Wildstar and EQN haven't invited me to beta yet I thought about GW2 again, but I'm a little scared of max level being like WoW in having your daily chores, weekly run throughs of raids that are the exact same every time, and pvp filled with people who don't really care to pvp (not sure why some people are even there). Also I'm not sure I like necro. Anyway, is pvp really just zerg vs zerg? And is GW2 actually fun at max level and not a 2nd job after you get home from your first one?

Don't buy it, the game is terrible. Professions are a joke, combat is a joke, questing is a joke. Graphics are okay, lore is okay, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    I'm close to unsubbing WoW (forever this time), and since Wildstar and EQN haven't invited me to beta yet I thought about GW2 again, but I'm a little scared of max level being like WoW in having your daily chores, weekly run throughs of raids that are the exact same every time, and pvp filled with people who don't really care to pvp (not sure why some people are even there). Also I'm not sure I like necro. Anyway, is pvp really just zerg vs zerg? And is GW2 actually fun at max level and not a 2nd job after you get home from your first one?
    I do not know what the current WOW endgame is like. Though there are no raids in GW2 and while there are dailies- like all other things in the game, dailies are not a requirement. There is no vertical progression in GW2. Once you max out your desired gear set, everything in the game either adds to your wealth or is just an optional playstyle/game mode.

Extremely casual play friendly. The only MMOs I know of that are more casual play orientated are those made for children [Wizard 101/Toontown], World of Warcraft and quasi-MMOs such as The Sims Online/Seondlife.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-11 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    Don't buy it, the game is terrible. Professions are a joke, combat is a joke, questing is a joke. Graphics are okay, lore is okay, that's it.
    I am glad you put a lot of thought into that response. Care to provide a bit of substance? For example, why do you say the professions a joke? Without that you could easily be accused of trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    Crafting is actually substantial and helps for leveling also for getting legendary if you want one, it's definately important and it has been praised a lot of times before, you didn't even took the time to explain, sorry, I feel you're a resident from the darkspear tribe (can't say the race from them else i'd get reported).

Combat is a joke? I feel it's way more reactive and fast paced than WoW , the fact that the game has less spells to manage in combat feels way better than other hotkey mmo's where you had like a bazillion spells you would never use due to your dps rotation limitations.

Questing is a joke? explain, there are not even quests.

I'm surprised you guys even responded to him, it's just a drive by slam of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'm surprised you guys even responded to him, it's just a drive by slam of the game.
    I know, I should have just reported it but I couldn't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I do not know what the current WOW endgame is like. Though there are no raids in GW2 and while there are dailies- like all other things in the game, dailies are not a requirement. There is no vertical progression in GW2. Once you max out your desired gear set, everything in the game either adds to your wealth or is just an optional playstyle/game mode.

Extremely casual play friendly. The only MMOs I know of that are more casual play orientated are those made for children [Wizard 101/Toontown], World of Warcraft and quasi-MMOs such as The Sims Online/Seondlife.
    Ha

Are there any underrepresented classes (that aren't underrepresented because they are broken, I believe engineer was this when I first tried gw2)? I think part of the reason I lost interest was no real interest in necro.

I can't really think of any real underrepresented profession. Maybe Engineer but I still see quite a few of them. Come to think of it though, I don't see a whole lot of Thieves, at least in the pve side of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah engineer is the most underrepresented class right now, but that doesn't mean they are bad, try granadeer build on WvW and siege a castle using grenades vs people on higher grounds, they never see your grenades and suddenly end up with 10 bleedings instantly :P!

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I can't really think of any real underrepresented profession. Maybe Engineer but I still see quite a few of them. Come to think of it though, I don't see a whole lot of Thieves, at least in the pve side of the game.
    They are extremely useful on wvw as scouts, everytime I play with my guild WvW (once a week?) there's a thief nearby stealthing around and taking a look at where are we going and allows the enemies to do double prone attacks

Yeah, I was mainly speaking about in the PVE world, I don't see many Thieves at all.

For pvp and wvw, they are still plenty prevalent though for sure.