Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Yeah engineer is the most underrepresented class right now, but that doesn't mean they are bad, try granadeer build on WvW and siege a castle using grenades vs people on higher grounds, they never see your grenades and suddenly end up with 10 bleedings instantly :P!
    I play engineer and they are awesome in PVE. Probably not the best for speed runs if thats your game but an engineer can put full stacks of bleeds and vuln up on a boss (or close to) and for AOE, grenades are one of the best weapons out there. They are good might stackers as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    I sort of have a similar question... Got back into WoW a little while back (boredom of current steam library mostly) and after farming and LFRing I just can't get into it like I was in Vanilla -> Wrath. I have GW2 and leveled a little when I bought it about 6 months back (necro, much more squishy than my d2lod necros...) but was kind of lonely (I was a plant guy, probably more to do with it being a bad race than server pop [Fort Aspenwood]).

I'm close to unsubbing WoW (forever this time), and since Wildstar and EQN haven't invited me to beta yet I thought about GW2 again, but I'm a little scared of max level being like WoW in having your daily chores, weekly run throughs of raids that are the exact same every time, and pvp filled with people who don't really care to pvp (not sure why some people are even there). Also I'm not sure I like necro. Anyway, is pvp really just zerg vs zerg? And is GW2 actually fun at max level and not a 2nd job after you get home from your first one?
    The daily in GW2 is very different from WoW in that it is much more open-ended, much less intrusive. There are 13 very general items that can be completed pretty much anywhere in the world and if you complete any 5 you will get the daily reward. Most times you hit it just by playing a half hour or less doing whatever you normally do.

The reward is a jug of karma, a mystic coin and a (small) chance at a random item from the gem store like a transmutation stone or merchant express or something. It's not tied to stat gear or ilvl or rep or anything like that.

There are no raids atm, the only thing that has a weekly lockout would be Guild Missions. You can run them as many times as you like but you will only get the rewards on your first complete of the week. Otherwise no weekly lockout on anything.

There are no daily lockouts either but the tokens reward you get for completing a dungeon is higher the first time you do it and goes down with each subsequent run of the same dungeon path but you can still run the same path for gold and drops. There are 33 dungeon paths and Fractals for instanced content and a whole world of dynamic events and champions for open world stuff.

There are 2 kinds of Pvp - there is structured Pvp which includes 5v5 arena type things + a hot join Pvp which is either 5v5 or 8v8 (feels more like a WoW bg). Again there is no stat reward since you jump right in as a level 80 with max gear & abilities so it's more about skilled play.

Then there is WvW which is probably the zergfest you heard about. This is a massive week long battle between 3 servers across 4 maps. It can certainly look zergy when you first go in and see hordes of players running around but it's actually much deeper than that. Servers communicate with teamspeak, the commanders and guilds coordinate different strategies and diversions, you have small teams running havoc groups or supply and solo roamers setting traps. The spirit of team play is very strong, you don't see the "Let them win" crap that you do on WoW.

If you want to see how your server is doing atm, here is a live (updated every 15 mins) map of your match this week.
    http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/map/901
    and here is your server's history in the matches:
    http://mos.millenium.org/servers/history/39

Btw, the Sylvari area is not as popular as the Human area. People go to the latest hotness, with content patches every 2 weeks it's different every month where you will find the most players. Right now Divinity's Reach Queen's Pavilion, Frostgorge, Cursed Shore, Queensdale are hot. Lion's Arch is still the main portal city hub and meta events still draw in huge amounts of players.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-08-11 at 06:00 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Ha

Are there any underrepresented classes (that aren't underrepresented because they are broken, I believe engineer was this when I first tried gw2)? I think part of the reason I lost interest was no real interest in necro.
    I really couldn't tell you what classes are underrepresented. Don't pay attention to what others around me are playing. I notice a lot of Warriors and Elementalist though. The rest seem about even I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    The daily in GW2 in [...] still draw in huge amounts of players.
    Alright thanks, redownloading now... Trying to research classes that are decent pvp but all I find is "ANET hates X class" etc and I'd rather go with a class I won't regret after spending time getting it to max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Yeah, I was mainly speaking about in the PVE world, I don't see many Thieves at all.

For pvp and wvw, they are still plenty prevalent though for sure.
    If the Thief is doing his job, you'll never see him. ::cue dramatic music::

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright thanks, redownloading now... Trying to research classes that are decent pvp but all I find is "ANET hates X class" etc and I'd rather go with a class I won't regret after spending time getting it to max level.
    That's the beauty part of GW2, you don't have to level to see how a profession plays. Roll a toon and go straight to the Heart of the Mists (pvp lobby - crossed sword icon upper left on your screen). There you are boosted to 80 and have free access to all the stats, runes, sigils, skills, abilities. Play around against the target dummies or profession dummies or even a boss or jump into a hot join and see how it plays against other players.
    Valar morghulis

Just bought the game earlier this week must say I am very impressed and enjoying it so far. So if anyone is skeptical I suggest checking it out. I have gotten an Elementalist to 18 and warrior to 12 and even tho it's noobie and I haven't even done anything, I'd say I've enjoyed it so much I've already gotten my moneys worth.

Very fun so far.

Deleted
    It is a fun game but the end game content, kinda more of grind after grind. other wise the world vs world side of things are great

I don't think they hate certain classes. However, AN does display a high level of incompetence/laziness when it comes to ability and trait design. A lot of classes only have one or two viable weapon choices and some classes have completely nonsensical trait layouts that pigeonhole them into predetermined specs (Necro, Ranger).

It really comes down to what you want to do. If you're planning on doing solo/roaming WvW you might want to pick a class that can avoid getting zerged (Thief, Dual Dagger Elementalist). If you want to zerg you should pick a class that tag a lot of players at great range and also provide support (e.g. Staff Elementalist). You will have to do quite a bit of grinding to get your Exotic + Ascended gear and also stock up on consumables though (AN doesn't consider WvW to be "competitive" so PvE shenanigans are fair game here).

For S/TPvP you get pretty much the same buff/nerf cycle as in GW1. Usually you have 1 guy using a "bunker" spec that allows them to dick around on a capture point for as long as possible to prevent its loss (there is only Team Objective and no Death Match mode, which naturally sucks) which lead AN to buff Conditions to combat those specs which has resulted in players of Power classes to demand nerfs to Necros and Rangers. But of course rerolling is trivial.