Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Why was this one person significant enough to warrant this?

I don't want to be offensive or anything, I just don't see why. I'm pretty sure there's more dead people that played WoW than him.

I mean it's sad that someone dies that early and all, but I see it as little more than a PR stunt from Blizzard.
    Those who have spoken up about a deceased other that played the game usually get some form of tribute from Blizzard.

If Blizzard was doing this for PR they'd advertise every single tribute they've done, such as the Red Dragon in AQ they snuck in and didn't say a single word about.

It's not a PR stunt; it's just Blizzard being nice like any other company should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Well, that's interesting. It does explain why that out-of-place Night Elf is there.

I don't want to be offensive or anything, I just don't see why. I'm pretty sure there's more dead people that played WoW than him.

I mean it's sad that someone dies that early and all, but I see it as little more than a PR stunt from Blizzard.
    Right, I understand your point. Its healthy to question these types of things, because at face value it appears as if its Blizzard chose this case because of the minority represented in the same-sex marriage community.
    But I agree with the next post after yours. If it was something they were doing for selfish gains instead of selfless ones, this wouldn't be the first time we would be hearing of it. These types of additions aren't even featured in patch notes.

But beyond that, not sure how this came about, and while I agree that there may have been others along the way, if Blizzard did something like this for every single person who has passed away since, not only would the world be cluttered with NPCs, but it would feel a lot less special.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

All deaths are significant any loss of life should be remembered, not possible i know but people should be remembered.

Those videos honestly made me tear up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samin
    At night, I look upon potatoes with lust in my eyes.

Deleted

I see your point and theres nothing wrong in thinking that way, however, I noticed that this event isn't exacly broadcasted on their front page and I didn't even know about it until this post, I think they just try to do little good where they can. If they sought attention it would probably be bigger news on their site.

Deleted
    thats a sweet story, very fetching.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    thats a sweet story, very fetching.
    Ya its really a heart warming story. Its great to see.

I remember him. I like that character. When you click on him he talks about how he always thought the 'pandaren' his parents spoke of were some kind of furbog and laments them not being able to see the glory of Pandaria. Then he goes back to reading. Honest I assumed he was just there to add atmosphere, but this definitely makes him cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhammer99 View Post
    Right, I understand your point. Its healthy to question these types of things, because at face value it appears as if its Blizzard chose this case because of the minority represented in the same-sex marriage community.
    But I agree with the next post after yours. If it was something they were doing for selfish gains instead of selfless ones, this wouldn't be the first time we would be hearing of it. These types of additions aren't even featured in patch notes.

But beyond that, not sure how this came about, and while I agree that there may have been others along the way, if Blizzard did something like this for every single person who has passed away since, not only would the world be cluttered with NPCs, but it would feel a lot less special.

That's the way I see it, anyway.
    A subtle gesture sometimes can be more meaningful than something they yell about.
    If they make a point of telling everyone about the memorial then it looks like they were doing it for the attention as a PR stunt.
    Certainly some in-game tributes do get more attention given the notoriety or popularity of the person they represent.
    Red Shirt Guy is such an example.

Actually blizzard does this often for many notable players or their own staff members, both living or deceased.

It is all kind of not obvious, but there are MANY MANY references to well known players and honored employees in ALL blizzard games - as far as i know, they are the only video game company that actually does this on a regular basis - especially the part about honoring well known players.

10+ Year Old Account

One day a man was walking along a beach the morning after a violent storm. Hundreds, if not thousands, of starfish had washed up on shore, doomed to die slowly in the hot bake of the sun. As the man walked along, he spotted a young boy picking up starfish one at a time and tossing them back into the ocean. The man watched for a few minutes, then approached the boy.

"Why are you throwing them back in?" He asked, "You can't possibly save them all. Most will die. What you're doing is pointless."

The boy eyed him for a moment, then picked up another starfish and tossed it back in. He glanced up at the man, the pointed at the spot where he'd thrown the starfish to safety and said, "Means the world to him."
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Darn, almost made it a whole page without a negative comment. Oh well!

Glad Blizzard do little things like this. Doesn't take them long to add it in, but it shows they give a damn (or the quest/npc designers do, whichever). They can't be expected to do it for every case (otherwise there would be little else in the game), but they seem to respond to requests very willingly.

I like this. I'd be happy seeing an entire zone just filled with tributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    There's quite a few tributes in game, which really makes me smile. The dwarf in Dun Algaz (Hillsbrad) the Tauren, voiced by the dying child in Mulgore. Etc.
    I remember doing that quest in Mulgore when I first started the game. Had my sound on and hear the taurens voice, think to myself, man what a shitty voice actor, seriously, where did blizzard get that guy?! Only later did I find out the kid died from cancer. Felt like a total ass!

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, those memorial videos had me all teary eyed and choked up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty cool. I know I'd want to be immortalized in WoW if I died.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's amazing, and wouldn't mind either. Getting a tribute within a game I have played for years actively.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how I'd feel seeing the character of a friend or a partner in game who had passed away in real life. I imagine it would only make the pain of loss hurt more. Of course I can't say for sure as I'm not in that situation. Though I imagine I would go out of my way to see my friend immortalized within the game as I'm sure he'd do for me in such circumstances.

Strange, really. It unsettles me to even think of such a scenario.

Think I'll go look at some cute cat videos on youtube to wipe the last few minutes of reading this thread >.>
    Butts.

I know Ghemit on twitter and we took a few pics and he came on vent.

Michael.. was special to him.. still is.. always will be! I feel its a nice tribute and allows others to see him.

I did not know this till i watched a tribute video but he keeps looking at his map because Michael always was going around and I believe getting lost or looking where he was going.

As a tribute during the memorial, it was asked if you have arcturus the spirit bear to rename him michael.. If you do please sent it on twitter to ghemithunts i am sure he would appreciate it.

It means the world to the one, everyone has that memory of a person they lost.. or have lost contact with.... cherish!