Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question I miss my Frost spells/attacks as a DPS Shaman in PvE :(

Quite some time ago Frost Shock and Frostbrand Weapon were used a bit more in PvE - not just for DPS but also for either the slowing/rooting or for the extra aggro Frost Shock inflicts (saving healers etc...).
    However those 2 spells no longer have much use in PvE (and it is only 2 spells), so i don't think they will be making a come back.

Through the use of optional minor glyphs, Elemental and Enhancement could get a few spells changed to resemble the Frost element.

For example, Fire Nova could be made to look all icy and Lava Burst could be turned into a big frosty spell (not like mage's frostbolt), and Lava Lash could be a Frost Whip!
    Fire Totems and Fire/Earth Elementals could also be glyphed to look like frosty versions, and targets affected by Flame Shock could emit a small "blue flame".
    Lightning Shield could be changed to emit little frozen orbs, and Thunderstorm/Earthquake could have some fancy ice shards that shatter.

These examples are just some simple ideas i thought of, blizzard could surely think of much cooler (pun intended) frost effects.
    I would like to see what do you, fellow shamans, think of adding more frost effects to Elem/Enha (PvE) - be it through cosmetic minor glyphs or even whole new frost spells!
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2013-08-01 at 03:05 PM.

Deleted
    We already got two specs that shares the same name "frost" that's quite enough

I'd be up for this, would be pretty cool. The only thing is, it'd likely never happen. Consider how long it took for warlocks to get green fire and how much of a demand there was for it. This is the first time I can remember this being proposed so it'd probably be like an 8.0 feature.

No harm in a couple of extra ice abilities, though Frostshock/brand where never used in pve. Other have always had less bothersome snares like hamstring, which did the job just as well/better. The extra thread wasn't used much even in vanilla. I remember tanking the monastry back then at lvl ~45 with 2h and scarlet armor, aside from those rare early on experiences, frost was overall to scarce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusokat View Post
    We already got two specs that shares the same name "frost" that's quite enough
    It wouldn't change the spec name, as they are called Elemental/Enhance shamans, not Lightning and Flame shamans.

It would just be the moves. Much like warlocks with green fire.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

I've already had this idea that enhancement had a cleave thats ice damage, shares CD with shocks and does more damage for the amount of enemies hit. That way you would use shocks in Sgt, but Ice Cleave in AoE.
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Quite some time ago Frost Shock and Frostbrand Weapon were used a bit more in PvE - not just for DPS but also for either the slowing/rooting or for the extra aggro Frost Shock inflicts (saving healers etc...).
    However those 2 spells no longer have much use in PvE (and it is only 2 spells), so i don't think they will be making a come back.

Through the use of optional minor glyphs, Elemental and Enhancement could get a few spells changed to resemble the Frost element.

For example, Fire Nova could be made to look all icy and Lava Burst could be turned into a big frosty spell (not like mage's frostbolt), and Lava Lash could be a Frost Whip!
    Fire Totems and Fire/Earth Elementals could also be glyphed to look like frosty versions, and targets affected by Flame Shock could emit a small "blue flame".
    Lightning Shield could be changed to emit little frozen orbs, and Thunderstorm/Earthquake could have some fancy ice shards that shatter.

These examples are just some simple ideas i thought of, blizzard could surely think of much cooler (pun intended) frost effects.
    I would like to see what do you, fellow shamans, think of adding more frost effects to Elem/Enha (PvE) - be it through cosmetic minor glyphs or even whole new frost spells!
    We used stuff like Frostbrand and Frost Shock in classic because of a few reasons: Frost Shock didn't cause increased threat then (Earth Shock did, until TBC when they moved the +threat to Frost Shock), and almost all the fights in the first 2 tiers of classic raiding were fire immune. So that left us with Frost Shock. Though when I think about it, nobody used Frostbrand unless they didn't have Windfury yet.

Thanks for all the replies.

I just wanted to mention that what i am primarily suggesting are minor glyphs for cosmetic changes, it would not be a rework of Enha into "Frost DK 2".

Most of the spells would look the same - just be colored into various shades of blue to appear as if they were frost or ice.

Im sorry but I dont remembr Frostbrand or frost shock ever being using over the other weapon brands or shocks as a dps increase in a PvE environment. Maybe in vanilla or BC?

Idk, Ive been ele since wotlk so I could be wrong but as far as I know those spells have only ever been used for add slowing, not dps. If you want more frostiness, roll a frost mage or frost dk, they have plenty
    "If the people who are trying to destroy this world aren't taking a day off, then why should I?"

-Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBanana View Post
    Im sorry but I dont remembr Frostbrand or frost shock ever being using over the other weapon brands or shocks as a dps increase in a PvE environment. Maybe in vanilla or BC?

Idk, Ive been ele since wotlk so I could be wrong but as far as I know those spells have only ever been used for add slowing, not dps. If you want more frostiness, roll a frost mage or frost dk, they have plenty
    The time i did talk about was in vanilla and tbc, but that really is not important.

Frost (the water element) obviously has a lot of hostile applications (frost mage/dk shows many such abilities).
    As far as lore goes, Frost is just as much represented in a Shaman's arsenal as the Fire and Nature element - unfortunately, current Shaman arsenal just does not display this.

The minor glyphs i am suggesting would take minimal development time (basically just switching some colors from fiery to icy) - but they would add a ton of interesting cosmetic options to the Shamans + bring back the deadly frost element.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Other than tanking, neither frost shock, nor frostband was ever used. Back in Vanila, Rockbieter gave bonus aggro and Earth Shock was the aggro maker. In TBC (or wotlk, not sure), Frost Shock was made to be the "taunt", but frostband never was used at all (other than that slimy boss in aq40 which name i forgot)
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Ages ago flametongue used to be far better for fast weapons, like daggers, while the rest of Enha scaled better with a slower weapon.

It was then that frostbrand has seen use in pve, but that is really not important for this thread.

What is important is that we want some ice/frost appearances for our spells through minor glyphs

Frozen Earth: Your EQ now deals frost damage and slows the affected targets. (with new fancy visual)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Replace the clunky mechanic of Fire Nova into:

Water Splash: The shaman launches a wave of water at his/her foe, dealing XXX frost damage. Your next Frost damaging attack will cause the wave to splash, dealing XXX frost damage to nearby enemies, and reseting the cooldown of Frost Shock. The wave has 2 charges (so 2 splashes) and lasts for 6 secs. 6 sec CD.

The idea is, if you have imbued WF/FT then you can use 2 Frost Shocks in a row to focus on AoE, perfect for situational AoE moments; but if you want you can switch to WF/FB and let autoattacks do the cleaving effect if you prefer to take advantage of Stormstrike debuff using Earth Shock, better for heavy AoE fights.

Lava Lash would no longer apply Flame Shock nor have its damage increased if off-hand weapon is imbued with FT, but instead it deals additional fire damage to targets debuffed with Flame Shock, to promote the use of Flame Shock, and allow the use of FB without being a damage penalty.

What'cha think?

Pretty damn interesting, but it belongs more in the "Elem/Enha AoE" thread that we have active on this forum of ours.

However the watery/frost looking effects would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Pretty damn interesting, but it belongs more in the "Elem/Enha AoE" thread that we have active on this forum of ours.

However the watery/frost looking effects would be awesome.
    Sorry, just wanted to share some thoughts about Water/Frost spells for shamans :P, but it's also an AoE idea because I really really really hate current Fire Nova mechanic, and because we need more water element as shamans.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel quite gimped as an ELEMENTAL shaman, to be honest. I feel like Enhancement gets most of our cool toolkit and then some (Spirit wolves) leaving us as a .5 version of the DPS class.

I feel like our potential as a spec is cut short. Our being in touch with the "elements" is quite lame. Enhancement gets the spells + the melee we just get the spells.

I'd love to see us get frost into the toolkit as well, as well as a reworked Frostbiter weapon potentially, to serve it's own purpose.

We'd use Frost Shock, and a new Frost spell at appropriate times (perhaps at certain fight points, Hot-Cold?) in alternation with Flame Shock and Lava Burst.

I'd love to see us get options to use 2h Weapons (2h SP Maces) as Elemental as well, but that's a totally different story.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-08-11 at 07:18 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I feel quite gimped as an ELEMENTAL shaman, to be honest. I feel like Enhancement gets most of our cool toolkit and then some (Spirit wolves) leaving us as a .5 version of the DPS class.

I feel like our potential as a spec is cut short. Our being in touch with the "elements" is quite lame. Enhancement gets the spells + the melee we just get the spells.

I'd love to see us get frost into the toolkit as well, as well as a reworked Frostbiter weapon potentially, to serve it's own purpose.

We'd use Frost Shock, and a new Frost spell at appropriate times (perhaps at certain fight points, Hot-Cold?) in alternation with Flame Shock and Lava Burst.

I'd love to see us get an option to use 2h Weapons (2h SP Maces) as Elemental as well, but that's a totally different story.
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=96974

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Do they have 2H SP weapons every tier? I might be losing touch with that.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Our water spells are still consider frost in blizzards systems. I'm sorry but I don't want to be locked out of healing just because I used a spell to slow something.