Poll: Do warlocks prevent a future demon hunter class from being added?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do warlocks prevent demon hunters from ever being added as a class?

There is a debate going on in the general discussion forum about whether a demon hunter class could every be added to the game. One side says that demo's metamorphosis and glyph of demon hunting makes warlocks into demon hunters, while the other says the classes have different core lore, and DHs are melee dps.

I want to know what the warlock community specifically thinks. Can demon hunters be added, or do warlocks crowd them out?

Warlocks do not crowd out Demon Hunters, nor did they crowd out Death Knights (despite sharing Death Coil -- which, in fact, Warlocks no longer have)
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    No, its the players that do.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Their iconic abilities have been farmed out to other classes so you either add a DH without those and lose some of the identity or you rip them off and risk homogenization.

It's a pretty popular suggestion to "copy" Metamorphosis from Demo Locks, or even outright remove Meta from Demonology and give it to DH, but it's as silly as adding a "Beast Master" tank who turns into a Bear. There's something to be said for preserving the cool things that already exist in game, and Demon Form has been part of the Warlock kit for a long time now that we have just as much claim to it as a DH.

This isn't an original idea by any means but I would love to see Demon Hunter added as a fourth spec for us Locks, either as a melee DPS or a tank.

I believe that the majority of Warlocks would switch to Demon Hunters like Hunters would switch to Rangers if each of these gets implemented. The harsh truth is that the Hunter and Warlock concepts are a bit outdated and unattractive and become desired through their derivatives. Like most people roll Hunters just because its the only bow wielding class but dislike the trap/pet mechanic, there are tons of others that roll Warlocks due to them being the "dark caster"/ demonic class and not for the sake of minions or DoTs.

Therefore, as Blizz is trying to enhance Warlock popularity, I think it is a big "no" for them to snatch away identity features that could improve the popularity. Apart from the Demon Hunter concept, not presenting Warlocks as Blood Mages would be another discouragement for the class to be desired. For me, giving the Sha to priests in exchange for Green Fire was a major disappointment for the Warlock class.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    ...there are tons of others that roll Warlocks due to them being the "dark caster"/ demonic class and not for the sake of minions or DoTs...
    Yet Blizzard has given pets/temp pets to so many classes since BC that being a "Pet Class" isn't Hunter/Warlock specific now either. And many more classes have at least some form of DoT now as well.

Here is the question. Who said demon hunters have metamorphosis? O_o they are pretty obvious some special warriors from both night elf and blood elf race. and I don't remember any of them having metamorphosis except illidan which his meta form isn't related to his class and we all know why he had that form. If this class is coming to wow they should not have metamorphosis or wings (like current DH demonolgist warlocks) or anything related to warlocks. they are separate far enough to be pretty different.
    green is the color!

Quote Originally Posted by Kashii View Post
    Yet Blizzard has given pets/temp pets to so many classes since BC that being a "Pet Class" isn't Hunter/Warlock specific now either. And many more classes have at least some form of DoT now as well.
    Warlocks and Hunters are the only classes that bear the moniker of the pet class and are refered through the blue posts as the ones that should stick with it at all costs. For example, they try to restrain sacrifice in order for it to be used less as well as denying the idea of a similar option for Hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    I believe that the majority of Warlocks would switch to Demon Hunters like Hunters would switch to Rangers if each of these gets implemented. The harsh truth is that the Hunter and Warlock concepts are a bit outdated and unattractive and become desired through their derivatives. Like most people roll Hunters just because its the only bow wielding class but dislike the trap/pet mechanic, there are tons of others that roll Warlocks due to them being the "dark caster"/ demonic class and not for the sake of minions or DoTs.

Therefore, as Blizz is trying to enhance Warlock popularity, I think it is a big "no" for them to snatch away identity features that could improve the popularity. Apart from the Demon Hunter concept, not presenting Warlocks as Blood Mages would be another discouragement for the class to be desired. For me, giving the Sha to priests in exchange for Green Fire was a major disappointment for the Warlock class.
    The more you post, the more I think you should just go re-roll a SPriest.

I will burn your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernex View Post
    The more you post, the more I think you should just go re-roll a SPriest.
    I already play Spriest for most of the time Its just that I have devoted quite some time on my Warlock and see some wasted potential imo.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love my Spriest and would strongly consider switching if they ever killed off Sacrifice for good, but they are distinctly lacking in the "fel-tainted fire" department.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't have two classes using demonic resources to power their attacks... that'd be like more than one class having fire attacks. Not going to happen.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotharfox View Post
    You can't have two classes using demonic resources to power their attacks... that'd be like more than one class having fire attacks. Not going to happen.
    Yeah or 2 classes using holy magic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    This isn't an original idea by any means but I would love to see Demon Hunter added as a fourth spec for us Locks, either as a melee DPS or a tank.
    I agree whole heartedly on this, I'd love to see fourth specs added, and i think demon hunter would be a great 4th spec for locks. Before people argue that they are two distinct classes, before MoP, they said the same thing of Monks and Brewmasters, so it's certainly possible.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it does not preclude the possibility of adding Demon Hunters as a class (or more likely hero class), nor does it preclude the possibility of an eventual fourth spec.

A thematic overlap also does not mean that they can't clearly differentiate the classes by giving them unique abilities and playstyles. See: Priests and Paladins.

Likewise, having Death Knights doesn't mean that Necromancers could never appear in WoW.

There's a whole world of possibilities, and the only limit is imagination.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-08-02 at 07:01 AM.

short answer: no, but they make it a bad idea.

long answer: no, but they make it a bad idea because demon hunters could easily be incorporated into warlocks, and that would allow night elf and draenei warlocks, add lore to the class and possibly give it class heroes that don't turn into villains. it would be much better to spend resources on creating new classes that can't be easily incorporated into other classes, such as tinkers.

food for thought: many warlocks are former mages that started using demonic power. illidan, the original demon hunter, is a former mage that started using demonic power. sure, he dual wields and fights somehow like a tanking-rogue-caster-thing, but if you play through well of eternity you'll see some frost mages that dual wield and fight like rogue-casters as well, during the azshara encounter. it seems back 10000 years ago mages didn't know they were supposed to be ranged lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    omg you gotta stop with the demon hunter threads.

it's a bad idea, doesn't fit with anything in game, is a diablo class .... and most importantly, has already been declined as an idea by the wow devs.
    At best, maybe one day you can get demon hunter as a stance for a hunter.

Now bury the idea plz.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    omg you gotta stop with the demon hunter threads.

it's a bad idea, doesn't fit with anything in game, is a diablo class .... and most importantly, has already been declined as an idea by the wow devs.
    At best, maybe one day you can get demon hunter as a stance for a hunter.

Now bury the idea plz.
    warcraft demon hunters are a mix of rogues and warlocks. they have nothing to do with hunters, except for the fact that both hunt something, but everything else is completely different.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I see potential in this. In addition to hating and blaming casuals, PvE/PvPers, LFR, people who spend money in the cash-shop, Ghostcrawler, asians and whatnot, the moronic diatribe could be expanded to classes. Remove flying mounts, LFR ... and warlocks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    That's a fourth and fifth spec right there, 2/3 of a new class. Third spec could be caster, or rip off Diablo 3 Demon Hunters and go the ranged weapon route. Why tie so much potential down into an existing class with a ton of nice lore all its own?

OT: No, Demon Hunters have their own story to be told completely separate from Warlocks, there is absolutely nothing here that prevents that.