[PvP] New to Ret.

As you can read in the title I'm completely new to Ret. I'm trying them out on the PTR, but seem to be having a little trouble. My friends what to play arenas with me but, I'm really bad. I feel like I'm forgetting to use skills when PvPing. Here are several questions I'd like to ask:

Is there a proper rotation for PvP?
    When should I be popping Wings/Guardians/Holy Avenger,Inquisition etc. ?
    What's the difference between Freedom/Emancipate? Which should I be using first?
    How to maximize the use of Holy Power?

I'm really bad, but I really want to improve!

Any help would be grateful!

I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't know the difference between Emancipate and Hand of Freedom.
    I think you should go back in to WoW and read the tooltips. Things will become much clearer instead of
    coming to a forum and asking fundamental questions like that.

In terms of Inquisition: You should have it up at all times if possible.
    If you leveled to 90 you should know when/how to use Holy Power lol.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't know the difference between Emancipate and Hand of Freedom.
    I think you should go back in to WoW and read the tooltips. Things will become much clearer instead of
    coming to a forum and asking fundamental questions like that.

In terms of Inquisition: You should have it up at all times if possible.
    If you leveled to 90 you should know when/how to use Holy Power lol.
    I think he's asking a more complex question than you give him credit for.

Like, HoF vs Emanc - is it better to use Emanc or HoF on self? How many snares are on you, what are you fighting, are you going to get re-snared, do you have teammates that could use the HoF, etc.

To OP - "rotation" isn't really a thing in PVP. In PVE, where you can assume being in melee range all the time, it's a bit easier, but in PVP with kiting and OOR/LOS issues, you're going to have to adapt. J is a really strong, and very utility packed ability. Ideally, if you can tunnel, CS > J (for HoPo generation), with Exo cast whenever possible. HoW top priority whenever available.

Depending on your comp/opponent, you can either group all CDs together, or stagger/hold some. This is way more complex than I can get into for this post. But yes, Inq up at all times. If you're getting close to going for a kill and Inq is fading, get it back up, even if only 2HoPo, so you don't nerf your burst.

I use HoF for solo-play so that I don't have to worry about spending extra GCDs/mana on emanc. I use emanc more in group play, when I'm tossing HoF's on allies.

TL;DR - go practice, you'll learn way better from that than reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

I haven't PvP'd much lately, but it's incredibly beneficial to root your kill target in place when going in for the kill (duh, right?). Things obviously change depending on comp, but what I usually ended up doing was popping my +str PVP trinket early on in the fight to force some defensive cooldowns and put steady pressure on a target. When we were able to force a major cooldown (Bubble, Dispersion, Ice Block, etc.) I would usually work with my partner(s) to set up a kill ASAP. Our priest and mage would CC while I planted the kill target in place with a stun and then popped GoAK/HA/AW/trinket and proceeded to faceroll as hard as I could.

Obviously fights got a little more complicated and it wasn't always as easy as CC + kill, but that was the general strat we went in with. We played at 1800-2000 in 3s and 1500-2000 (we shared a team) in 2s, so it was at a decent level...but this was my first season playing ret in arena so idk if I'm doing right either. :P