Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Professions in the Next Expansion

What do you think some potential new professions will be in the next expansion?

Do you think Woodworking could be one? I believe there is an item that says it has +10 to woodworking or something already in game. What would the new professions provide?

The only word that comes in mind is "boring". Sorry, that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

Do you think Woodworking could be one? I believe there is an item that says it has +10 to woodworking or something already in game. What would the new professions provide?
    There is an item with +10 woodworking mentioned, btu it's not a stat. It's just a grey item of some sort in Pandaria that mentions it. Pretty sure it's one of the Treasures you can collect, those high vendor price greys.

The profession was actually discussed early during beta, but a way to implement it could not be found.
    The treasure you describe is simply a tribute to a once popular idea, but one that never made it to a functional state in the game.

edit:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=86079#co...3:reply=554974

Quote Originally Posted by Nered
    Woodcrafting was originally a profession planned for Vanilla WoW. It was going to be used in Duskwood because that place was meant to be so dark that you couldn't see barely 3 meters in front of you. So the woodcrafting was planned to allow you to make torches and other stuff. But they scrapped it because Enchanting used wood to make wands, and the whole profession would be useless outside of Duskwood.
    More recent discussions brought up the lack of possible content for the profession, really limited to a fairly narrow range of weapons some of which are already implemented in other professions such as wands in enchanting.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-08-02 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found it. http://www.wowdb.com/items/86079-anc...ren-woodcutter

It's part of the lost and found treasures that give the Relic Hunter title, not the high priced Vendor greys.

- - - Updated - - -

To stay on topic: I'd love a new profession of some kind, but I haven't been able to think up any reasonable thing that could be implemented that wouldn't interfere with other professions.

I'd love another system of gear upgrading to add, but it would probably be interpreted as another gold sink by people. Not to mention GC has allready stated that he felt that getting new gear wasn't as direct as it used to be, where you could get an new item to drop and just put it on. Now you have to enchant, and gem, and then reforge, adding more to that might be annoying to people.

hmm- hows about augmenter?

they already said they weren't too happy about the way item upgrades were going and particularly reforging. They could make a profession that upgrades items, gear, weapons or Enchants also! While they are doing that you could work in an augmentation to change some stats while your at it if you wished.

This saves them having npcs around if they didn't like that model

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeire View Post
    hmm- hows about augmenter?

they already said they weren't too happy about the way item upgrades were going and particularly reforging. They could make a profession that upgrades items, gear, weapons or Enchants also! While they are doing that you could work in an augmentation to change some stats while your at it if you wished.

This saves them having npcs around if they didn't like that model
    I think it's not the system of how to do it they dislike, but the fact it's so mandatory and complicates putting on a new gear piece. I think they are wrong if they want to change this, as I like fudging about with my gear like that, but I can see the logic in wanting to simplify it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the stats being looked at long and hard next expansion. They've allready mentioned looking at avoidance stats, it wouldn';t surpise me to see hit/expertise go the way of the dodo either. In which case most of the reason for reforging will be taken out of the game. Not so sure they'll keep reforging in if they decide to cut Hit/expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

The new prof is a labourer "more work?" "what is it?" "me not that kind of Orc" ... and so on.

Woodworking seems all right but it also kind of would be a catch-all with no real direction. It would make some weapons, some tools/oddball items, maybe a couple rings etc but really it brings nothing new unless they decide to let it focus on some new direction as well.

Maybe I'm crazy but I like the current implementation of reforging. Only thing I would like to see changed with it would be the ability to secondary profession it or something to do the reforges yourself at little to no cost eventually. (But it's already cheap)

Deleted
    I Think this woodcutter item is a joke just for added a funny tooltip to a grey item...
    I dont think there are more professions that will make it into the game...
    last added (primary) profession was inscription and for this profession a whole new mechanic (glyphs) was added to the game...

I just wish Enchanting still made wands. Heck, give it to Inscription at least.

15+ Year Old Account
    Assuming it uses one of the gathering professions, I'd assume something with Leather.
    Not sure what, but Herbs are used in 2 professions, Mined minerals are used in 3...

But woodworking + Player housing would be awesome.
    Like. Really awesome.
    "600 [Wood Working] LFW, can make beds and shelves!"

Deleted
    Always thought pet breeding would find it's way into the game some how. Would give you a chance to craft things like those pet stones, stuff to level up pets faster, and even breed totally new pets.

I'd rather they made crafting more substantial in the game than try and justify some new profession. I'd love to be able to make BoA epic sets for all my chars as opposed to sitting around for hours in LFR queues for a maybe-kinda-sorta chance at an upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    The challenge with any new primary profession is that it has to satisfy several criteria:

1) Make things that are useful to players. Not everything has to be useful, but some of the crafted items have to be.
    2) provide a perk on par with the other professions to player stats
    3) use mats that are available already.

If #3 isn't true then you need another new primary gathering profession to support the new crafting profession. This, in turn, means that they need to develop a whole set of gathered mats that allow this new gathering profession to level up and that the mats need to be created in the game world (i.e. many new trees that can be harvested for wood to level up wood gathering so that woodworking has raw mats.

I don't see them doing this, especially since crafting has been nothing but a sidelight in gearing terms every since Wrath dropped.

If they put in woodcrafting and guild/player housing at the same time....woodcrafting could make furniture for your house?

Wasn't Woodworking one of the beta professions? IIRC it was something about making torches that gave stats, kinda like the Cozy Fire buff Basic Campfires/Cooking Fires give. That seemed pretty cool, but I guess they scrapped it cause they couldn't find a larger use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    -snip-
    Okay, having a zone where you can't see anything unless you're using profession-crafted torches would blow my mind so hard it's not even funny. I didn't even know I wanted it, but now I do ;_;
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2013-08-02 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

There was an idea for woodworking that someone made up that I read on wowpedia a while ago that I liked. Woodworking had gathering folded into the profession, you'd just pick up branches/harvest trees from wooded areas and then extract wood like milling/prospecting. Woodworking made stuff like staves and bows and also had extra items. One thing was crates, take up a slot in your bags but then you throw it on the ground and it's like a guild chest but for your group, you can store like raiding pots and stuff inside so it's not cluttering up your bag and allows easy access for the whole group. I thought that was a creative solution for more bag space.
    They also had something where you find chunks of amber and make continent-specific hearthstones. So you can set a hearthstone for each continent to make it easier for us poor non-mages to get around.
    Anyway, just a (someone else's) thought

Deleted
    call it carpentry instead.. woodworking sounds like crap for some reason

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    bowcraft and fletching please, i want to spend the whole day crafting arrows 1by1 for skillpoints because of nostalgia